GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,487 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: First turn - are there always two gates open at the end of turn one? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I getting something wrong here? The way I read it (and have always played it), means that by the end of the first player's turn there are two gates and two doomers out. (the first gate/doomer comes from the mythos resolved during game set up, the second from the mythos at the end of the first player's turn.)

I realise that this is actually a minimum of two (OK, it could be just one, but how often do you get a monster surge from the second gate opening?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
To start the game, the Mythos phase comes first. After that the Mythos Phase is the last thing that happens in a game turn.

The second gate would not open until the end of the Other World phase of the last player, not the first player.

The basic answer to your question would be yes, the difference being that the second Mythos card is drawn after the last player has completed the last phase, rather than the first player.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen it happen a couple times, monster surge after the first player. The first mythos kicks off the game, giving the first players something to do, focus on, otherwise they'd just run grab clues. Now there's some kind of tension in the very beginning (or else why would the investigators investigate? Nothing's disturbing the serene town of Arkham yet).

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Newell
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you are right, generally there are 2 gates open after the first ROUND.

Remember that each player does each PHASE together (just resolved in turn order). So everyone has done every phase by the time you pull and read the Mythos to end the round. Then the first player marker gets moved to the next player and you begin again with the Upkeep phase.

So Player 1 does Upkeep, then Player 2 then Player 3, etc.
Then Player 1 moves, then Player 2 moves, then Player 3, etc.
Then Player 1 does Arkham Encounter (if applicable), then Player 2, then Player 3, etc.
Then Player 1 does Other World Encounter (if applicable), then Player 2, then Player 3, etc.
Then the Mythos Phase ending the round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes, normally, two gates. Sometimes 0, thanks to double-doomer + monster surges or Next Act Begins, or 2x double-doomer . Sometimes three or more gates (Dagon or "a gate and a monster appears".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Sometimes, normally, two gates. Sometimes 0, thanks to double-doomer + monster surges or Next Act Begins, or 2x double-doomer .

Or someone using De Vermiis Mysteriis (maybe to help complete a plot?) followed by Strange Sightings or any of the above mentioned Mythos.
Dam the Man wrote:
Sometimes three or more gates (Dagon or "a gate and a monster appears".

Or Zhar, or Pete or Mark getting someone to use a Naacal Key for them (for their plots))
(note: second end parenthesis above is to end the parenthetical statement started in Dam's quote)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the confirmation folks! FWIW, I was merely using a lazy shorthand when I referred to the mythos being drawn after the first players turn - I am aware of the phases of a turn. I should have remembered how picky we are on this forum when it comes to describing sequences and using labels for game concepts. I guess it comes from playing a game with such mind bending rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.