Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Ratings Food for Thought rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Von Ahnen
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Surprise, surprise another Geek Journal about ratings. Like throwing a grenade into vegatable cart, what a mess!

But back to the point, what about having a multiple category rating on a game instead of the single one. The Avalon Hill General went to the extreme with 10 catagories, but what about 3 to 5 categories. Besides that would give the Geek more things to talk about (what does that category meam, they should have included this category, etc.). Isn't the Geek getting a new server anyway? We need to consume that extra storage space somewhere.

Let the tomatos fly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keller
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too would like to see 4 different category ratings.

Perhahps:
1 - Strategy
2 - Interaction
3 - Learning Curve
4 - Replay Value

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Faehnle
United States
Cincinnati
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a mixed bag
...kind'a like what you'd get after a vegetable cart wat grenadoed.

many people think that a mult-faceted ratings system would be a bad thing. if current ratings are prone to shilling, or votes from people who haven't played the game, this system would only multiply it.

i, on the other hand, think multiple ratings categories would be valuable because it could reduce some of the arbitrarines sof the current ratings system. for example, i imagine people could take a point or two away from a game's current rating because of difficult (or confusing) rules. this proposed system would eliminate that problem.

another reason a system like this would be valuable is that it would allow people to create lots of new GeekLists. lately there has been a lot of complaining about "useless" geeklists (a sentiment I don't share). one of the problems for the people who make this complaint is the 27th list of the same type. a rating system like this would allow for many new, "useful" geeklists. For example: "highly strategic games with easy-to-learn rules" is a list that would become very easy to make.

overall, i am one for more metrics by which to measure, debate, and discuss games. it's the comments people make about games, as opposed to their scores or rankings that causes me to buy them (with the exception of PR, which i bought solely because of its ranking, back when i was a BGG NEWUSER). anything that will cause a community to COMMUNIcate is, in my opinion, strengthening to the community, as long as reasoned discourse is the vehicle for communication. i haven't yet been disappointed by the geek in that aspect.

so I agree: multiple ratings categories.

the few i can think of right now:

-rules: 1 (too hard/inadequate/poorly written) to 10 (good/easy to understand)

-components: 1 (cheap/crappy) to 10 (Days of Wonder)

-gameplay: 1 (candyland) to 10 (fun, enjoyable, engaging)

suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Single rating a start
I think having multiple ratings will not be all that helpful, frankly. The experience of the wargame magazines which rated wargames in many categories is suggestive. Most of the time all the ratings for a game cluster around the same number. It's rare for one to be way off from the others, so one number is likely to be as useful as 10. And any division or list of subcategories will be arbitrary, and rater's will still have the ability to arbitrarily award ratings. If someone wants to shill for a game, it's as easy to put in a half-dozen "10" rates as one.
The rating gives a useful snapshot of a game's popularity, not necessarily it's quality. Quality is subjective, popularity is objective. If you want information about quality read a user review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Derscheid
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love you like a brother, but I am filled with hate for this idea.

Every time we make it more complicated to rate a collection, we're reducing the number of people who will bother to do it, and lowering the information those ratings actually provide.

I figured the new server space would be consumed by lots of new members, new journal entries, new photos, and new geeklists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.