Friedrich» Forums » General

Subject: Downtime rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
We had our maiden session of Friedrich last night, 4-player, with me playing France. The time for turns to get back around to me were exceedingly long, I'm guessing 20 minutes or so. Seems a bit much, given that my own turns were completed in a matter of a couple minutes. Is this typical?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
20 min seems a bit excessive, but if you are just playing one country it does take some time to make the rounds so to speak. Especially if Austria, Russia and Prussia have a lot of battles. I think the game plays best with 3 so everybody is always doing something. However, if you have 4 people that are interested in the game and what is going on, it is still a lot of fun. If you are only interested in your turn I can see it being a problem. I personally love watching this game develop even when it isn't my turn. I have played games before where I was just Sweeden or the Holy Roman Empire and had a blast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Robinson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's definitely a fair bit of downtime in Friedrich, especially if other players are fighting battles and you aren't. I'd say that it's crucial to be paying close attention to what the other players are doing on their turns though. In some other multiplayer wargames, you don't need to be paying much attention to what's happening when it's not your turn, beyond noting the result. In Friedrich, however, noticing who plays what cards during any given battle can yield important information. I've only ever played Friedrich with three players, and always wished we had had four, because the combination of one player having both Russia and France with a generally aggressive group has made the game just too hard on Prussia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Luta
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a definite timing aspect to playing France which takes a while to grasp. Ideally, one would dash for the Prussian objectives as quickly as possible, then clear up the rest of the Hannover objectives while holding Magdeberg et al, but often the France hand makes this impossible. So the alternative usually involves working to gain as many of the Hannover objectives as possible, ideally all, chasing the Hannover armies to the north and keeping them there, and then picking the right time to strike against the Prussian defenders. Strike too early, and there is a risk the French armies may be shattered and thrown back in a possibly fatal blow (the historical result), yet wait too long and France may not remain in the war....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Low
United States
Mansfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say the turns go much faster with experienced players. We only play with all four players, and we don't find it a bad game for downtime. As previously mentioned, you need to watch the cards played, and try to detect which suits Prussia is prefering, or avoiding, so there's no such thing as downtime to me.

Best,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
It gets faster with more experienced players, but yes, there is some downtime (which of course you can usefully and hopefully enjoyably use by watching what the others are doing, what cards are being used, etc). France does indeed have the most downtime in my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Player count recommendations for Friedrich put the 4-player game as solid best. After this first game, I would have thought 3-player the preferred option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Apelqvist
Sweden
Sturefors
Östergötland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Playing France is only an interesting experience in my opinion if you know the game well and is able to see how the pressure builds on Prussia. For the first few games, I agree that three players is the best alternative. Only after having played Prussia once or twice could I appreciate a game as France. There is some downtime, that should be used to find a weakness in Prussia's armor.

But it also depends a lot on who is playing Prussia. With a good Prussian player, I'd go back to the three player version. It's simply too easy to stop France and unless you have an awful lot of luck, you can get into a position where it doesn't matter how you play. Prussia/Hanover is just too strong for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I've found using the world championship card dealing method cuts down on the downtime. That way, France and Austria can start to plan moves concretely while the Russians move. Getting experience with the game also helps...I still think my longest game was my first one. Even with one new player and a few vets, our games don't exceed 4.5 hours. With an experienced crew, 3 hours is expected.

bjoap101 wrote:
Playing France is only an interesting experience in my opinion if you know the game well and is able to see how the pressure builds on Prussia. For the first few games, I agree that three players is the best alternative. Only after having played Prussia once or twice could I appreciate a game as France. There is some downtime, that should be used to find a weakness in Prussia's armor.

But it also depends a lot on who is playing Prussia. With a good Prussian player, I'd go back to the three player version. It's simply too easy to stop France and unless you have an awful lot of luck, you can get into a position where it doesn't matter how you play. Prussia/Hanover is just too strong for you.

With good players, I prefer 4 over 3. Maybe our group is too aggressive or we have had a string of bad draws, but Hannover usually gets butchered and the French are advancing on the west Prussian hearts without pause, sometimes as the first card of fate is drawn. In this case, the ability of Russia and France to collude is much more dangerous (and the player has longer to do so).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Fort Polk
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antilogic wrote:
I've found using the world championship card dealing method cuts down on the downtime. That way, France and Austria can start to plan moves concretely while the Russians move.

For anyone interested, I believe these are the rules Anti logic is referring to (from the tournament PDF on http://www.histogame.de/e_friedrich-WM.html):
-----------------------------------------------------------
In order to speed up play, all attacking nations receive their TC’s once Hanover has finished her move, so that they are able to plan their moves. Following rules, however, are in effect:
• Russia and Austria are NOT allowed to look at the new card of Sweden / Imperial Army, unless they have finished their move as Russia/Austria.
• All nations carry out their action stages one after the other, i.e. the sequence of moves still is: Russia, Sweden, Austria, Imperial Army, France.
• No nation is allowed to give any signs what she wants to do, unless she actually starts her action stage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.