Subject: Newspaper Article Today rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all. As I understand it, there's a board gaming article out today in the Waikato Times, the Dominion Post, and the Christchurch Press.

I haven't read it, but it should be a positive article with folk from Hamilton, Wellington, and Christchurch all featured. There might well be a few BGGers in the mix, too.

So congrats to all involved. It's great to see more positive publication of our hobby! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark A
New Zealand
Rolleston
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Dave,

The article is the cover story in the "Your Weekend" magazine insert in the Press. Three pages of photo's and story. You, your wife and new baby are mentioned (on the third page) !!

I can't find a link to the article, unlike it's news stories Fairfax don't seem to have these articles online - though someone else may be able to prove me wrong.

It's a good article about people who play board games and the games they play.

My wife read the article and said we should play some more Ticket to Ride. (We got TTR Marklin edition as a free game when I bought some more Memoir '44 expansions in a Days of Wonder promotion last year).

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, its definitely there in The Press, with Andrew Rae in full technicolor glory on the front of the magazine.

Good stuff and well done to all who contributed - David, Andrew and Jason Brice are those that I know and all are quoted and talked about.

I thought perhaps the angle of the piece was a bit slanted towards "adult" gamers, which is fine I guess, but I think that probably the biggest market is potentially the family one. Families that might potentially look to buy say 8 or 10 of the family/gateway games (TTR, Settlers, Stone age etc). Anyway that said it was very good exposure.

Will be interesting to see if there is any spike in game sales due to this - David will probably be best placed to provide comment on this in the coming weeks - great advertising for seriouslyboard and other websites and shops mentioned, and ultimately pixelpark as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a very nice pic of
Andrew Rae
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew on the front cover of the magazine with Ticket to Ride Europe and under the heading Board - not boring.. The editorial talks about board gaming.When I say editorial it's about 10 lines long.

The inside pics are Andrew, (fecking) settlers and the University of Canterbury (SAGA?). There's discussion about BGG, some games, Wellycon and comment from Andrew. There's comment from
Jason Brice
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
about what he got up to on a business trip to Germany (which sadly only mentions boardgames) and then comment from
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and then Jan-Yves and Rose (can't remember Jan-Yves user name sorry).

Sidebar on top selling games from SeriouslyBoard.co.nz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SamNzed wrote:
(fecking) settlers

Like it or not, without Settlers many of us would not be playing the games we play. In our group that probably includes me, Gareth (I would imagine), and even Jason and Beryl - so we might not not even have a group but for Settlers. Just saying.

PS. I don't want this thread to derail into a debate of the merits of Settlers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
liken@xtra.co.nz wrote:
SamNzed wrote:
(fecking) settlers

Like it or not, without Settlers many of us would not be playing the games we play. In our group that probably includes me, Gareth (I would imagine), and even Jason and Beryl - so we might not not even have a group but for Settlers. Just saying.

PS. I don't want this thread to derail into a debate of the merits of Settlers.

I'm glad you have raised Settlers as a discussion topic... I think Settlers is &&*%^$*^&&^&&*^#&*&%^&*!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I managed to get a copy of the Dominion Post at the local supermarket. It's a good read, methinks. It was directed at people fairly new to the idea of modern board gaming, and I think it accomplishes it's job very well. Essentially, it's designed to show that we're not nearly as freakish as first impressions might suggest, (although the jury's still out on that one! ), and giving people an idea of where to go from there if they're interested.

Well done, Gill! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SamNzed wrote:
There's a very nice pic of
Andrew Rae
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew on the front cover of the magazine with Ticket to Ride Europe and under the heading Board - not boring.. The editorial talks about board gaming.When I say editorial it's about 10 lines long.

The inside pics are Andrew, (fecking) settlers and the University of Canterbury (SAGA?). There's discussion about BGG, some games, Wellycon and comment from Andrew. There's comment from
Jason Brice
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
about what he got up to on a business trip to Germany (which sadly only mentions boardgames) and then comment from
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and then Jan-Yves and Rose (can't remember Jan-Yves user name sorry).

Sidebar on top selling games from SeriouslyBoard.co.nz

Also mentioned (as you noted) were
N/A
and also
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb

I particularly liked the reference to the couple who used a board game as a marriage proposal! Fantastic stuff! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Limited Access - Back 9th Feb 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew's cover picture is great. I hope someone can scan it in and add it to the 'geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rae
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In case anyone wasn't aware Colin is the quintessential modern Wargamer. He and David Rascher (?spelling?) do a podcast called The Noise before Defeat as well which debuted at number one in its category a couple of years back. Colin is also a terribly nice guy, which is unfortunate because I try not to like wargamers. Actually speaking of David, he has an accent very similar to the dice guy from The Speil podcast if you have ever listened, so everytime I listen the picture in my head is David. If you wanthear to know anything about that sphere of gaming then colin is your man.

Anyway speaking of the Spiel (which you weren't but I decided to anyway) they mentioned on their show the top ten in sales for last quarter. Not all games, but this type of game. Settlers was at one, the top five included Ticket to Ride, Carc, Pandemic, Dominion was there in the top ten also. The only newish game, if I recall, was Mystery Express.

Based on this evidence I will make a rediculous assertion. This hobby is branching into the mainstream. The fact that the most popular games are games we have played to death some time ago indicate that the sales to hobbyists are relatively small compared to the growth of the market. When someone plays settlers they usually like it and they may consider buying it and the hobby grows. I remember loving Settlers to death, theres no reason why that won't occur to others now many years later, because in this regard time is irrelevant. A good game is timeless. El Grande may have been outdated by newer games that do certain aspects better, but El Grande is still a fantastic game to someone not aquainted to a broad spectrum of games. And games like Settlers and Ticket to Ride are driving this expansion.

So like it or not these games are our gaming evangelists.

Re the family games ... I just can't wait for my kids to get older to give me an excuse to start playing and promoting family games. The family aspect of wellycon will grow in the next few years and I can seem main stream families taking an informed approach to thier gaming purcahses and going beyond Trouble and Monopoly.

Anyway I'm excited that they decided to give the article a high profile even if it wasn't quite what I would have liked. Still I am grateful there was an article at all. All I can say is that they tried to get David on the cover but all they could get was me. Fortunately the game looked good by comparison. Well done Gil and all the other contributors. Jason even sounded quite insightful and wise ... who'd have thought!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Eisenhauer
India
New Delhi
Delhi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats for giving board gaming a higher profile in New Zealand! I wouldn't mind getting a scan of that article (hint, hint )
Keep up the good work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Shortall
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
Read the article this morning and thought it to be a great exposure piece for the hobby. The names are all familiar to BGGers but I do see the point being made that families weren't well represented and also the 'everyman player' seemed to be lost amongst the playing and academic elite. Sorry Andrew but the hobby is 'Mainstream'. Family events can be bigger than even Wellycon. That notwithstanding as with all lighter magazine pieces it depends on who the writers target audience is (and who is available to interview) so in that respect it does the business. I would have liked to have seen a bit more clarity of research into the gaming scene and where to go to get them (websites and shops not represented widely) and the New Zealand publishers and designers could have got more of a plug.

Like Andrew alluded to in defense (?) there seems to be a potential question mark about the 'top selling boardgames in New Zealand' (Top Eurogames might have been a better heading). I think Hasbro and other distros would have something to say about that (sources should perhaps be market stats from distros, combined retail or inferred from international stats).

The Young Enterprise insert seemed to be completely out of place. Good on them though.

BTW - Never really got into Settlers as I skipped that bit of intro gaming; BUT ask 8-12 yr olds or families that are buying it and you here "awesome, cool, never realised the potential', wish I had this as a kid, the best...."meeple

Nevertheless it points towards bigger and better things and look forward to more articles being printed.

Please don't shoot me. gulp

NB: We are still being represented at the WORLD CUP by a 4th Linesman in the USA v GHANA game. Go that KIWI!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rauscher
New Zealand
Mount Victoria
Wellington
flag msg tools
Colin deserves a photo credit too - one of the best known gamers in NZ, known by war gamers around the world. Great knowledge of games and gaming, and an indomitable opponent (the one or two times I've squeaked out a victory were probably due to luck rather than any skill on my part). And he's a super nice guy to boot!

Look forward to seeing all of you again soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey I was in there too ... well, somewhat obliquely referenced under "meeting people in Matamata monthly" laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
citylife wrote:
but I decided to anyway) they mentioned on their show the top ten in sales for last quarter. Not all games, but this type of game. Settlers was at one, the top five included Ticket to Ride, Carc, Pandemic, Dominion was there in the top ten also. The only newish game, if I recall, was Mystery Express.

Nice pic of you Andrew.
I spose the good thing is we're all different. Interestingly for me when i got re-engaged with games (although I had carted around Junta, Diplomacy and a pile of heavier roll and move games eg Poleconomy for 20 years) the first newer games I came into contact with were Carcassonne, Bohnanza and I'm the Boss. I'd also made several goes at locating and buying Illuminati. It was another 2 years before anyone mentioned or made me play Settlers. Another year on, reading BGG I'd assumed there were three gateways Carcassonne, Settlers and to a much lesser extent Alhambra. Clearly I was wrong, and Settlers was, or has become, the lead gateway game. Which is a shame given it's crap .
But then gateway is a bit misleading, I think the gateways are Monopoly, Cluedo, Life etc.

What is good is that this article is opening peoples' eyes to the opportunity for a huge amount of intelligent social interaction however they roll, and board games cater for a huge range of tastes, predilictions and interests. The issue is the gateway in. There are not many retail outlets in NZ selling games and once people become aware there is a lot of fun to be had, how do they find us? Also it seems to me unless you've played complicated games you do need to be shown how to play.

What John Shortall is advocating is large family gaming evenings where he introduces people to a range of games. he has one next friday in deliverance country, Geraldine, out of Timaru. I am unlikely to make it but I have to say I'm very tempted to go to assist developing gaming even though some of the games he has are not my preferences and it's a long drive.

I wonder if there is merit in revisting the sites we have,and building an optimised one that becomes the board game portal in NZ. Lists of groups, guides and links to resources, news and articles, BGG as the game encyclopedia, and retailers and events.
It may be done by a retailer but most of these will favour their own offers and sales and probably tastes. Someone like David might set
it up as a mirror to his own site in a neutral way.

Anyway - what I am saying is if we want to get more players and more groups and cheaper games through volume imports we may need to think about how we make the gateways bigger, easier and more obvious. Maybe Wellycon might be a place for people to chat about stronger links.

So good effort to all those who were interviewed and involved with the fairfax piece.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
citylife wrote:
All I can say is that they tried to get David on the cover but all they could get was me. Fortunately the game looked good by comparison.

I'm not sure that that's quite how it went down. Sure, there would have been a photo, but probably not cover material! (You looked good, mate - nothing to worry about!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eisenphx wrote:
Congrats for giving board gaming a higher profile in New Zealand! I wouldn't mind getting a scan of that article (hint, hint )
Keep up the good work!

I'll see what I can do. I won't scan the cover because Andrew doesn't like the photo, and the pullout isn't A4 size so it might be tricky, but I'll do my best!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Eisenhauer
India
New Delhi
Delhi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seriouslyboard wrote:
eisenphx wrote:
Keep up the good work!

I'll see what I can do. I won't scan the cover because Andrew doesn't like the photo, and the pullout isn't A4 size so it might be tricky, but I'll do my best!

Thanks heaps!
Seeing that Andy and I used to game together weekly as part of the Ludonauts, I have high hopes of him getting past his shyness !
A scan would be highly welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seriouslyboard wrote:
eisenphx wrote:
Keep up the good work!

Maybe you should try contacting the paper - "yourweekend" or whatever - they could probably send you copies of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven De Toni
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SamNzed wrote:
It was another 2 years before anyone mentioned or made me play Settlers. Another year on, reading BGG I'd assumed there were three gateways Carcassonne, Settlers and to a much lesser extent Alhambra. Clearly I was wrong, and Settlers was, or has become, the lead gateway game. Which is a shame given it's crap ;).
But then gateway is a bit misleading, I think the gateways are Monopoly, Cluedo, Life etc.

You see, Settlers ticks all the right boxes for me.

1) Not Monopoly so no dealing with money and arguments about dice
(strategic game options, practically nil).

2) Interactive between players, either confrontational (longest road, largest army, blocking moves, trading etc)

3) It isn't difficult to understand the game play.

4) Its over in a set amount of time.

5) It's definitely a family game. Kids are just drawn to the whole mechanic. It looks complex, but isn't and the ability to make your own decisions ultimately decides your game.

6) The whole random board make no two games the same.

The only down side to the game, is if you don't get the starting positions correctly, then competing against experienced players is usually followed by a loss. But then I usually don't play that competitively with family or new players, giving them hints at strategy's to help them into the game.

Ticket to ride, well, after the Matamata meets, I learned something new in game play strategy with the game. That being, I got totally annihilated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdetoni wrote:

Ticket to ride, well, after the Matamata meets, I learned something new in game play strategy with the game. That being, I got totally annihilated.

There's Ticket to Ride sharks in Matamata?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
liken@xtra.co.nz wrote:
seriouslyboard wrote:
eisenphx wrote:
Keep up the good work!

Maybe you should try contacting the paper - "yourweekend" or whatever - they could probably send you copies of it.

I've already got a copy. The scan is for the benefit of eisenphx, and any other curious folk who didn't get to see it. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdetoni wrote:

Jason and Juliet learned much the same thing, assuming:
- "Ticket To Ride" is changed to "Pandemic"
- "I" in the first instance is changed to "the Clagues"
- "I" in the second instance is changed to "everyone"
- and the caveat "whenever David played" is added at the end

Thus, we have:
"Pandemic, well, after the Matamata meets, the Clagues learned something new in game play strategy with the game. That being, everyone got totally annihilated whenever David played."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am honestly flattered at your guys very kind comments. I hope to see many of you at Wellycon, which fingers crossed, I should be down for. Does anyone have a link to the article? I'll see tomorrow if I can get a copy at work, I work for Fairfax up in Auckland, but I'm wondering if it is online, I've been unable to find it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brice
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SamNzed wrote:
What is good is that this article is opening peoples' eyes to the opportunity for a huge amount of intelligent social interaction however they roll, and board games cater for a huge range of tastes, predilictions and interests.

The social aspect of boardgaming is especially important to me, and it was the thing I was trying to emphasize in my unterview.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.