GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,355 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Intruder» Forums » General

Subject: The revenge of the clones! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my second game and had a blast, although the end did drag a bit... but well, I don't mind it much I did have a few doubts with the rules though...

All started pretty well, after a few turns most of the animals were on the permanent cage and the crew had found the intruder in it's life 2 stage. (Question: The rules do say an intruder will free animals from cages, but it seems to me it can't free those that have been permanently caged. The rules do say those are considered "out of the game" or something like that)

But then he evolved and got the clone power...

I managed to sleep it with a dart and even cage it and put it on the freezer, but it was immune to cold, so I had to wait until it reached stage 6 for it to be considered permanently caged.

Meanwhile I rounded off the rest of the animals and observed the alien (Question: If the alien is in the freezer, as you're not with him, you should not be rolling for its powers. I ruled that we could see him evolve from the command room. It made sense, else we wouldn't know if he got the power to break out.)

When it reached stage 5 it gained the power to break out and hell broke loose shake

After a tough fight I managed to kill it with one loss, but then the Panic phase started and the clones entered play... that's when things got really bad...

Hunting them down and killing them was a bit too long, but I had to find out if the crew would survive. I tried putting the intruders to sleep when found (I find it's the best defense) and then shoot it or gas it. In the end, after a few more panic phases I managed to kill all 5 clones (it had evolved to its last stage by then) with a total cost of 5 crewmen.

My score was 10 points.

My last question is about the clones. The game does say you can't win the game until they're all dead/captured. That means, had the first intruder not gained the power to break out after I caged it, the clones would have never entered play, but by strict interpretation of the rules, the game wouldn't be won.

I'm not comfortable with just letting them there and consider the game won. I think once the alien is permanently caged you should do a Panic phase (the crew is confident and think they have won and then realize something is not quite right...). The situation is very similar to when they kill one intruder and a Panic phase has to be played and I think it makes sense. Also, it makes the game a bit more challenging

Edit: BTW, in my game it gained the clone power before it was caged. If it had gained the power after that, the situation would be a bit different. At least in my case, I knew the clones were already out there (once one is out, any one of them may reproduce...). But what happens if it is on a cage when it gets the power? I'd say in that case the clones never enter play unless it escapes, manages to kill someone and there's a panic phase....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Clones are meant to make the game exponentially harder. It is simmilar to the situation in Awful Green Things when you get the Comm Beamer with one or both Fragment effects.

According to the rules 5.55 the Clones are introduced in the next Panic phase. If by some quirk of fate you can down the parent Intruder before that happens then the Clones just never activate.

Think of them as eggs or cocoons waiting to hatch at some signal from the patent creature. But if the alien is defeated before that then they never get the urge to burst fourth and one can assume the crew rounds them up eventually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it does make a lot of sense if you see them as eggs... Thing is the rules do say you can't win until all clones are killed or captured but maybe as the clones that haven't been introduced yet are in the "Not in Play" box, those may not count...

So in my case, the panic phase where I introduced the clones was right after I killed the first intruder and the cles should never have entered play... Still, this can be considered like a variant to make things harder

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As said. If you look at the un-activated clones as eggs then it makes a little more sense. By the rules. You could have several possible clones lined up. But by quirk of fate never actually have them introduced if you somehow avoid those Panic moments.

In a way they simply do not exist until a Panic is called.

Another example might be the Ixtl from the novel Voyage of the Space Beagle. The alien abducts crew and only after losing the being in the void of space do the crew find that it had laid eggs in the missing members and the newly burst young and still incubating eggs are destroyed as the Ixtl had not had time to prepare/instruct its offspring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan c

Illinois
msg tools
I just had a similar experience with clones while playing the game with Camfield's variants. This was my solution: I had all the animals and dummies rounded up, so the location of the intruder was obvious. I approached it with the remainder of my crew, 3 scientists and 3 engineers, (except for one command officer was left in the computer room in case of disaster). I rolled for a metamorphose and it resulted in a lvl 6 intruder with cloning ability, (4 extra intruders)However, I was able to defeat it before all hell could break loose. My dilemma was I would end up losing since two of my commanders were killed and I was only able to kill one intruder giving me a total score of -3. I would have been fine with this, but I too was not satisfied with the clones just sitting there not entering the game. I understood that before confronting the intruder, with my crew of 6, I could have just sent one man in as a sacrifice. This would have ensured certain death and a panic interlude to follow giving me a winning chance, but that sounded dumb and unrealistic. In the end, after sulking over what just took place, I decided that the crew should have a victory party after killing the original intruder and meet in the command module. (someone else had mentioned something like this as a variant) I thought that any crew members who would have gone into a panic or was already in a panic would regain their sanity after learning the threat was over. Once in the command module the crew would celebrate, comfort, and counsel each other. At that time the motion detectors would start to bleep as the eggs hatch (or however you see it) and this is where clones would come into play and the rest would play out like a regular panic interlude. In the end I was slaughtered, but it made more sense this way and was more enjoyable/realistic. Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.