Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Import Taxes on Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Gurien
United States
California
flag msg tools
I'm going to be purchasing some games from outside the United States and was wondering if I will have to pay import taxes once they reach the U.S. for delivery. Any information on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I am not a customs agent, but I believe the answer is yes you could, but it is unlikely that you will. Personally, I just received a package of games from Germany and had no problems with import taxes. But I'm not 100% certain. YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not American, but I can tell you that you have a $500 import limit before you face import taxes. This may not include all items, but games are definitely one of them.

So, just don't order more than $500 worth of games and you'll be fine (also don't order more than $450 just in case the American dollar slides heavily while the games are in transport).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Harrison
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Australian import duties policy is available online (this may be true of the North American too)
http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4376

Goods that would attract a duty less than $50 are exempt. The calculation is a bit involved (customes duties on goods + GST on goods&shipping), so I simply ensure that the value of a single shipment is always below $250, which is the lowest threshold for goods before they require a formal Customs Import Entry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Pinnion
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dreams
Oh for the british customs to be so efficient. At their website there was an e-mail address which promised a seven day reply to queries. We asked about board games and two weeks later, recieved a reply saying (roughly)

"e-mail xxx@gov.uk with a description of what you want to import. They will then issue you with a ten digit code. E-mail us repeating the question and relevent code, and we'll get back to you."

At that point I gave up due to not caring enough. I've yet to order over £100 worth from overseas, and havent been taxed so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Lea
United Kingdom
Leeds
County: West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
overseas
jpinnion,

You're OK within the eurozone, of course, but isn't there a punitive import tax in operation for goods from the US? If so, does anyone know whether games are affected?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Lea
United Kingdom
Leeds
County: West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
>faints<
Well, I guess I can answer my own question. My 3 games from Columbia games have arrived, complete with discount and free shipping. And a customs charge of £34.89. No, it's not a typo. (That's about €50, or $65). I think this is the start of a wrangel with H.M.Customs, as the levy represents a tax of over 50%!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.