Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been debating about posting this for a couple of weeks now, but I have a serious problem with Chunky Fighters that surfaces every time I work on it.

I can't help but come up with new fighters.

Although I haven't publicly announced it, I have been secretly telling myself that Ultra Chunky would be the last expansion to Chunky Fighters. But wouldn't you know it that while I was finishing up the work on UX I came up with four new fighters? I couldn't help myself.

The thing I like most about the game are the fun fighter archetypes. A while back I held a poll on ideas for future fighters. Quite a lot of those ideas have come to fruition, including many based on your guys' propositions. Using that poll as a jumping off point, I think I've come up with four more fighters that would be a lot of fun to see in action.

Mime Yes, the black and white striped shirt wearing, face painted, beret donning street performer. I think the appeal here is how universally unliked mimes have become. It would be fun to see a Mime in combat with a gunslinger or slime tower. His ability would allow him to copy other fighters attacks or abilities. He'd have low hit points overall to make up for a strong fighter ability.

Ninja This was a favorite in the aforementioned poll. I've always thought the Ninja was too cliche for the game, but who am I kidding? The entire game is a cliche. But when I figured out his fighter ability, I knew I had to include him. When equipped with weak weapons (throwing stars, shuriken), the Ninja's attacks would be unblockable.

Mermaid Although I originally came up with the idea because I wanted to reuse the trident weapon image, once I started thinking about a "siren's call" ability, I was intrigued and wanted to flesh out this fighter. Also, it opens the doors to a 'femme fatale' theme pack consisting only of women fighters.

Valkyrie The famous battle angels of Norse mythology. I think this would be a perfect addition to the game's line up. The Valkyrie would have an ability called Battle Song that would cause all fighters to attack with the next higher hit die (weak becomes medium, medium becomes strong). Since the ability would affect all players fighters, it could lead to some interesting games.

So I've spent this whole time arguing with myself whether or not I should mention any of this. But in the end I decided to let it out, and if I make a fifth Chunky Fighters set or not will still be determined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, sounds great!! The more, the merrier!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you are already considering throwing in a ninja, I would suggest publishing a complete meme pack:

Move the UX zombie zombie as well as the EX robot to the new pack and add the pirate arrrh and the ninja ninja

Voilà: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NinjaPirateZombie... meme confirmed.

The moved characters could be replaced with any of the others you mentioned
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse McGatha
United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Need a "Monkey, Ninja, Pirate, Robot" theme pack. Need it now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hernan Ruiz Camauer
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the idea of a new CF pack, which would bring the total number of fighters to an even 20.

But I'm not crazy about the Mime idea, since a Mime isn't an archetypal warrior, like most of the other figures are. The special ability is cool, though, so how about making it a doppleganger, instead?

Other fun characters might include a Pirate, a regenerating Troll, a Conan-like Barbarian, or a Viking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heruca wrote:
a Conan-like Barbarian, or a Viking.

When I was brainstorming, I actually had those exact same words on my list. But I crossed it out when I came up with the Valkyrie because it's basically the same thing, only female.

And I understand about not liking the mime idea, but how do you draw a doppleganger? I ran into this problem in another game of mine that had a shape changing 'mimic' creature. I eventually figured out a natural-looking form for it, but what does a doppleganger look like?

The other character I'm not too crazy about is the Mermaid, but I think I could pull it off. I'm also not too keen on making a pirate, but it seems pretty popular. Any other ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hernan Ruiz Camauer
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL! No idea how you would draw a doppleganger. Perhaps you only need a Special Ability card for it, and you would use the dice for the actual figure it is emulating. And maybe a custom die where only one of the die faces has the cloning ability.

How about a Necromancer, with the ability to summon (or reconstruct) Zombies and Skeletons?

Or a Roman Gladiator, with a net and trident. He would have good hear armor but little else in the way of protective armor. The net, if it hits, could cause the target to be treated as crippled until it spends a turn breaking free of the net.

Has anyone suggested a Caveman before?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, those are all good ideas. I actually have a Necromancer already, but it's one of the possible 'boss' monsters in Chunky Dungeon (same with a dragon). I really like the idea of summoning zombies and skeletons, but in the original game that ability would be way too powerful... unless maybe the summoned undead would disappear when the Necromancer goes down? Hmm...

I don't think anyone has ever mentioned a Caveman. That's kind of cool. I could re-use the club and bone weapons from the Skeleton, and possibly the spear and bow and arrow from the Amazon. But I have no idea what his ability would be.

The Gladiator was on that poll. I kind of dipped into that idea a bit when I designed the Skeleton. I know it's hard to tell, but the Skeleton was originally a Gladiator in life. The body armor and trident are the only remaining pieces from life and the rest are things that it collected as the undead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Canyon wrote:
[q="heruca"]And I understand about not liking the mime idea, but how do you draw a doppleganger?

http://oglaf.com/kingshaped/1/

like this, I'd say ..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hernan Ruiz Camauer
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Canyon wrote:
Man, those are all good ideas. I actually have a Necromancer already, but it's one of the possible 'boss' monsters in Chunky Dungeon (same with a dragon). I really like the idea of summoning zombies and skeletons, but in the original game that ability would be way too powerful... unless maybe the summoned undead would disappear when the Necromancer goes down? Hmm...

Perhaps he takes three turns to summon an undead (one turn per die composing the undead figure). When an undead is complete (has all three dice), it can start attacking; until then, it is vulnerable as a target. In any case, a summoning Necromancer will be an automatic prime target for the opposing team, so he might never get to finish the summoning.

And yeah, killing the Necromancer would destroy any undead he had summoned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hernan Ruiz Camauer
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A silly idea for a new Chunky Fighter.

Unfortunately, it would destroy all game balance, since he automatically wins any fight.laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heruca wrote:
A silly idea for a new Chunky Fighter.

Unfortunately, it would destroy all game balance, since he automatically wins any fight.laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cookman
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, thank you so much for designing this game. My son and I love it. In fact, I love it so much that I am crafting all 4 sets to give away as Christmas presents. Therein lies our "problem" with Chunky Fighters. I have 5 people that would appreciate this gift, but only 4 different sets. Enter my wife.

My wife is artistic, crafty and extremely independent. She wants to make a new set of "Chunky Fighters" for the girl we need a gift for. She is working on art for a Fairy, a Pixie, a Druid and a Ranger. She says I have to come up with the cards for the fighters. I say "Chunky Fighters" belongs to Nick Hayes and I am not going to do anything of the sort. She says that if I don't do it, then she will because we need the extra set to make everything for Christmas "match".

Thus, I am posting this "problem" so that you are aware of it. If you are completely against this, then I will put the Kybosh on this project tonight. If you don't mind a variant set put up on the CF page in a month or so, then we will continue down this path and see if she can manage 96 unique miniature art pieces before the holidays.

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wholeheartedly behind your wife's endeavor. If you guys want to create a new "fan-made" set of Chunky Fighters, you have my blessings. I'd love to see the final product and furthermore, you're welcome to post the files if you like. Lastly, if you need help setting up the files once you have the artwork done, let me know and we'll get that straightened out.

Edit: I've been hanging on to this for a while because I was unsure where or how to bring it up, but I think this is a perfect place. Let me introduce you to Guerrerotes:
Guerrerotes! Jelliclecats

I happened across this fan-made set a while back. I thought it was awesome that this person put so much work into his own version of the game based on (presumably) his own characters. Unfortunately, my Spanish isn't good enough to understand the fighters' special abilities, but I still plan on creating my own set of this game just to have it sit on the shelf!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cookman
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool!

Thanks for your blessing. When we get to the formatting stage, I will take you up on your offer of help. Right now we have to get the art done.

Also, thank you for sharing Guerrerotes! Jelliclecats I'm OK with Spanish and know people who are better so maybe I can do a translated version of this and post it in the Chunky Fighters file area as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcookman65 wrote:
Also, thank you for sharing Guerrerotes! Jelliclecats I'm OK with Spanish and know people who are better so maybe I can do a translated version of this and post it in the Chunky Fighters file area as well.

I'd like to find the guy who made it and see if he wants to post the original in the files section. I wonder if he's a BGG user?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cookman
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If he is, then maybe he's not active. You would think that if he went to as much effort on his version of CF as he did that he would be subscribed to the game forum.

Right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to http://www.register.com/whois.rcmx the registrant of the domain (a.k.a. "the guy who did it") is

Ricard Vega Cobo
Plaza de osca
N5 3 1
Barcelona, Barcelona 08014
Spain

Happy hunting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to see new fighters, like:

Ninja
Vampire
Roman Soldier
Pirate

Martian
Zulu
Ordinary Guy
Cheerleader

Gamer
The BBG Guy
Modern Hunter
Redneck

Gang Member
Policeman
Gorilla
Big Mean Dog

That's 4 sets worth off the top of my head.

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Springheeledjack wrote:
That's 4 sets worth off the top of my head.

Great! Now get started on the artwork! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
If I could draw a straight line, I might be tempted to give it a try.

The sad fact is, I'm a horrible artist. shake

I can write and design games, but for the love of whatever you hold dear, do not ask me to do the art. gulp

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heruca wrote:

How about a Necromancer, with the ability to summon (or reconstruct) Zombies and Skeletons?

You could just build an army with a Wizard, and a bunch of Skeletons and Zombies. Assume the "Necromancer" summons them before the game starts. The Skeletons "heal" themselves anyway, and Zombies are tough enough, so the Wizard is free to throw nasty spells during the game.

Jack

PS: Chunky Dungeons with Boss monsters?!?!? Can hardly wait to see this.
Are the Boss Monsters going to be made with 6 dice in a 2x3 stack? That would be awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Orford
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The dopplegänger could have every face made of tinfoil so that it was mirrored on every side. It would need the hitpoints numbers on top of the tinfoil though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smallllama wrote:
The dopplegänger could have every face made of tinfoil so that it was mirrored on every side. It would need the hitpoints numbers on top of the tinfoil though.

Mirrored foil on every dice face? That would look pretty cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Canyon wrote:
I have a serious problem with Chunky Fighters that surfaces every time I work on it.

I can't help but come up with new fighters.

I just jumped into this thread so I don't know if this as been debatted already but I think there is many ideas to develop instead of just adding new fighters.

Just to put some :

- a small deck of action cards. One is dealt to every player (not fighter) at the start of the game. Cards can be "resurect your dead fighter", "replenish one of your fighter's health"..... My idea is "when one of your fighters dies, draw a card"

- a map, like the one in Brewhouse Bash but smaller and a new action "move" and instead of being able to attack players on your sides, you can only attack fighters adjactent to yours

- leveling. Everytime your fighter kills another, he wins an XP marker. With 3 markers, you can level up (always use the yellow die when you should use the white one or the red die when you should use the red one)

- I'm sure you guys have more ideas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.