Subject: Ideas to get back into Wargaming rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Swartz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
I played SPI games back in the 70's, and got out of gaming around 1980. Around 2000 I got back in through eurogames. The thing that appealed to me was the shortness of the games - I loved being able to play several in a single evening. But we all know their limitations: they are like cotton candy. Great components, but pasted on themes, mechanics divorced from content, and entirely forgetable 10 minutes after playing.

I've been longing to recapture that historical wargaming magic, but don't know what to try. What I'd like is something
- historical
- strategic or operational, not tactical
- hex and counter, not cards or blocks
- low complexity
- short play, 60-90 minutes.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If nothing else I'll have fun looking them up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would check out Victory Point Games. They have several good hex and counter games that are on the quick playing side.

There are some great shorter hex and counter games out there but by shorter I still am talking about 5-6 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lucey
United States
Ellington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For tactical the ASL SK series is not that bad, more complex than a euro but may be ok for you. You said no CDG's but there are quite a few good tactical games with cards that are not CDG's.

You have the Gamer's (MMP) SCS line of games which would fit most of your requests. MMP also has a couple good IGS games on the Eastern Front (AVD and AVL for instance).

You left out area / impulse which fit all but the hexes requirement if that style interests you. Most are OOP but the system as a whole might be a good possibility if you can find one that interests you historically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Victory point games napoleonic 20 series is what you want
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Visit the publishers' websites, check out their catologues, compare game descriptions, game subjects, scale, and prices, and buy what you think looks interesting. GMT, MMP, and Avalanche are a good start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Might want to see if you can find any 3W games kicking around too.
They pretty much specialized in trying to recreate the '70's era
of gaming, with an eye towards shorter playing time. 90 mins is
tough though.

Give Warriors of God a look - see if the style appeals to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Feifer
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Tim,

I have heard about the A Bridge Too Far: Operation Market Garden game, but have not played it myself.

Sorry about fumbling through the edit process to get a good post. 8^(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June Hwang Wah
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Bastogne: Screaming Eagles under Siege and A Victory Lost by MMP.

Another good choice will be The Caucasus Campaign from GMT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
I get a kick out of the recommendations that pay no attention to what the OP asked for. shake

A Victory Denied
A Victory Lost
Any SCS games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bourke
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
My recommendation is The Arduous Beginning from VPG. It's fun, simple, and short. It meets the play time requirement the OP gave.

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drones club wrote:
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1. Start a blog called something like "Should I Start Playing Wargames Again For Real?"
2. Ask for recommendations but never take them.
3. Find fault with every game you actually manage to play.
4. When people ask you what you're looking for, be sure to change your mind every other month.
5. Remember that serious wargamers play fewer wargames than "mere players" of wargames.
6. Introduce analogies and get carried away by them.
6a. Use other people's analogies and get carried away with them, too.
7. Breathe deeply and fill your soul with the spirit of wargaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara c
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OR,

1) Do nothing until Afrika is reprinted.
2) Get a copy at a reasonable price (I think I paid $21 for mine, as opposed to the $100+ you see as asking prices now).
3) Play Afrika, realizing that this is what wargaming is truly about.
4) Thank me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
moly19 wrote:
... as opposed to the $100+ you see as asking prices now).

Ugh. It's a good game though.
Hope they put out a new printing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like Battle for Germany fits your requirements - and it's available from Decision Games. Can be played with 2, 3, or 4 players, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drones club wrote:
I played SPI games back in the 70's, and got out of gaming around 1980. Around 2000 I got back in through eurogames. The thing that appealed to me was the shortness of the games - I loved being able to play several in a single evening. But we all know their limitations: they are like cotton candy. Great components, but pasted on themes, mechanics divorced from content, and entirely forgetable 10 minutes after playing.

I've been longing to recapture that historical wargaming magic, but don't know what to try. What I'd like is something
- historical
- strategic or operational, not tactical
- hex and counter, not cards or blocks
- low complexity
- short play, 60-90 minutes.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If nothing else I'll have fun looking them up!

Napoleon at Waterloo You can play it in 2 hours, often less.

The American Revolution 1775-1783 Often done in less than an hour! Not hex, but area-movement and it is countered.

Afrika Korps Pretty sure this place fairly quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Scheiß Inselaffen!
mbmbmbmbmb
TGov wrote:
I would check out Victory Point Games. They have several good hex and counter games that are on the quick playing side.

There are some great shorter hex and counter games out there but by shorter I still am talking about 5-6 hours.

I haven't played it, but from what I understand, the scenarios in No Retreat! can be played in about an hour (although the whole campaign takes more like about 5-6 hours).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Swartz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Infomanohio wrote:
Sounds like Battle for Germany fits your requirements - and it's available from Decision Games. Can be played with 2, 3, or 4 players, too.

That's one of my favorites. I actually own the S&T version (lost the mag), the folio version, and the bookcase version!

I also have the games suggested by Neopeius, all good choices.

I probably should have clarified that I have about 180 titles from that era, including plenty of shorter wargames that I enjoyed such as BfG, Brietenfeld & 30y Quad, the Napoleanic Quads, Cobra & Karkov, etc. Those games filled that niche of being good historical games, simple and playable in a reasonable amount of time, and they had a pretty good rep. But I want to see what modern gaming offers. So my question is: what are the titles that fill that accessible hex-and-counter niche today? What does the wargaming community consider to be today's BfG, Brietenfeld, and Napolean at Waterloo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hornet leader II
Easy, relatively fast and fun solo game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Swartz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the suggestions. I particularly found the Victory Point Games to be good possibilities in terms of length, and might try one of the small east front campaigns. Although I wasn't looking for a solitaire game (despite the inevitability of playing that way), I am also intrigued by their Barbarossa and Russian Revolution titles.

The rest tended to be lengthier than I want to play right now, but I rather liked what I read about The Caucaus Campaign. Victory Lost/Denied and the SCS line also looked good. Count me among those who would have liked to try Afrika.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Franklin
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim,

You will find my name as playtester in The Caucasus Campaign. The designer, Mark Simonitch, abused my forces during playtesting as either side. I look forward to his upcoming Normandy '44 where my forces suffered the same fate to Mark's attacks and counter attacks in playtesting. Both games were easy to pick up and play while at the same time are not overly complex or long in play time.

The next thing you need to do is learn to use any of the Play-by-Email utilities available so that you can play a live opponent without out having to drive, wait for an opponent to make his move, or having to block out hours of time to play. My preference is CyberBoard http://cyberboard.brainiac.com/, followed by VASSAL http://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php, and Aide de Camp 2 (ADC2) http://hkl.hpssims.com/. These programs only keep track of counter placement, have dice rolling ability, and allow the playback of a player's game turn. There are other programs out there like Zun Tzu http://www.zuntzu.com/, the Wargame Processor http://www.wargamesbymail.com/ and there are surely others.

Here is a zoomed out picture of another Simonitch game, Ardennes '44 in a CyberBoard gamebox I put together with Mark's graphics.

When you get around to Play-by-Email I will gladly play a Simonitch game with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.