Subject: Other World Encounter and monster questions... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Ward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly Monsters. I land on a location with a gate and a monster. I'm not leaving the location so I don't have to fight the monster. Then I get sucked through the gate, I'm still right in thinking I don't have to fight the monster even though I am leaving the location?

Also coming back from the Other World, there is still a monster on the gate, am I right in thinking I only have to fight it when I leave that location?

Now for my Encounter question....

I picked up an other world encounter card and I had to chose the 'other' text which read:

You push yourself to the limit. Roll 1 die for each point of Stamina you have. Lose 1 Stamina for each die that does not roll a success. If you do not fall unconscious, gain 1 Clue token for each die that rolled a success.

I have 5 stamina and fail on all rolls, therefore I should fall unconscious, but can I then spend clue tokens to roll extra die to try and get a success? or would that represent negative stamina? Is the only way to do this to have an item that says 'reroll' instead of 'roll an extra'

I hope that makes some sense. I can't roll an extra die as the card states that each die roll is relating to the amount of stamina I have.

[head explodes]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boywonder_uk wrote:
Firstly Monsters. I land on a location with a gate and a monster. I'm not leaving the location so I don't have to fight the monster. Then I get sucked through the gate, I'm still right in thinking I don't have to fight the monster even though I am leaving the location?

"Each time an
investigator attempts to leave a location or street area
occupied by one or more monster markers, the investigator
must either fight or evade each of the monsters there
(see “Evading Monsters” and “Combat” on pages 14 for
more information). Likewise, if an investigator ends his movement in a location or street area occupied by one or
more monsters, he must fight or evade each such monster." (p. 6 & 8)

You might not be leaving the location, but you do end your movement with the monster, so...

Quote:
Also coming back from the Other World, there is still a monster on the gate, am I right in thinking I only have to fight it when I leave that location?

First turn back you get a free pass. After that, if you're still at the location (failed your close roll on the previous turn), you need to deal with the monster somehow (evade or fight). You still ended your movement in a location with a monster, even if you didn't actually move.

Quote:
I picked up an other world encounter card and I had to chose the 'other' text which read:

You push yourself to the limit. Roll 1 die for each point of Stamina you have. Lose 1 Stamina for each die that does not roll a success. If you do not fall unconscious, gain 1 Clue token for each die that rolled a success.

I have 5 stamina and fail on all rolls, therefore I should fall unconscious, but can I then spend clue tokens to roll extra die to try and get a success? or would that represent negative stamina? Is the only way to do this to have an item that says 'reroll' instead of 'roll an extra'

That particular roll is not a skill check, so no Clues, no Mandy, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
boywonder_uk wrote:

First off, this is incorrect - you must always engage a monster when you leave a location OR if you end your movement on a location with a monster. Since Movement ends at the end of Phase 2 and going through a gat is Phase 3, you must deal with the monster - either fight it or evade it - before you move to Phase 3.

Quote:

The turn you return from the OW, you are granted this free chance to ignore monsters at teh gate location (it is optional). But this ONLY works if you come back during phase 2.

Quote:
Now for my Encounter question....

I hope that makes some sense. I can't roll an extra die as the card states that each die roll is relating to the amount of stamina I have.

[head explodes]

You can't spend Clue tokens as this is one of the infrequent die rolls not associated with a skill check. Since it is not a Skill check, no card effects can be used to help you (except Blessing/Curse and the like since they deal directly with Successes). Therefore, since it is not a skill check, Clues can't be spent.

The point of the encounter is to gamble each and every Stamina point you have. If you don't manage a single success, off to the hospital LiTaS you go (unless you have other cards to reduce the damamge).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
If you don't manage a single success, off to the hospital you go (unless you have other cards to reduce the damamge).

Actually, lost in time and space, since this is an OW encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
If you don't manage a single success, off to the hospital you go (unless you have other cards to reduce the damamge).

Actually, lost in time and space, since this is an OW encounter.

Good catch. I was focused on the dice and not the location!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that, I don't know why but I keep on getting confused with the Monster fighting business (a big part of the game). One more monster question - I am in a street and I can move to two locations both with monsters on (and gates) - Am I allowed to check the monsters abilities before choosing where to go or do I just have to risk it?

I'm also a bit confused with the whole fight/evade thing. I take it this will all depend on your own stats as to which option you choose - I just find it a bit bizarre that if you fail the evade you still have to do combat, why not go straight to the combat instead and chance your arm with the will check?

At the moment I'm Joe Diamond with a fight value of 3, my 45 automatics with a combat value of 4 and the .18 Derringer (spelt?) with a combat value of 2, so I don't really see the point in trying to evade anything!

Did I mention I'm newish to this game?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
boywonder_uk wrote:
Thanks for that, I don't know why but I keep on getting confused with the Monster fighting business (a big part of the game). One more monster question - I am in a street and I can move to two locations both with monsters on (and gates) - Am I allowed to check the monsters abilities before choosing where to go or do I just have to risk it?

Yes, most definitely - that is public info. Some groups prefer to play with it hidden but alltht does is reward those with good memories.

Quote:
I'm also a bit confused with the whole fight/evade thing. I take it this will all depend on your own stats as to which option you choose - I just find it a bit bizarre that if you fail the evade you still have to do combat, why not go straight to the combat instead and chance your arm with the will check?

At the moment I'm Joe Diamond with a fight value of 3, my 45 automatics with a combat value of 4 and the .18 Derringer (spelt?) with a combat value of 2, so I don't really see the point in trying to evade anything

Depends on the stats like you said - or the mission at hand.

In the first case,the monster may be too tough but easily evaded. So you take the risk to bypass it. Joe probably wouldn't do that.

In another case, you may have the ability to beat him but need to move beyond his space. Because once you enter combat, your movement ends - even if you win the combat. So evading is the best shot you have at continuing to move. Maybe Joe's fire power is needed at the next monster over to clear the path for Gloria. He can't waste his time on this monster right now.

Quote:
Did I mention I'm newish to this game?!

No worries, ask away. There is a lot of interactions here and it isn't always clear. Hope you are enjoying it regardless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brill, that has cleared up why you'd want to evade... you can continue moving if successful! I'm getting excited now!

I am loving the game. When I first got the game I set it up and played 3 or 4 times and enjoyed myself, but never got to the end of the game (had to pack up for tea or couldn't leave out over night for fear of a cat attack).

After a 4 month break from any sort of game (we had a baby) I'm having to relearn this one. We have jigged the rooms around (to make a nursery) so now I can have Arkham set up all the time in a spare room (yay) which will mean I will finally finish a game!

Next challenge is to get my wife interested!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Peabody
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
@boywonder...you are going to hate me, but my wife was the one who bought this game for our collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I salute you Sir!

I'm just happy that my Wife will play any board game with me, would be a hard life otherwise. I beat her at her fav yesterday, Ticket to Ride, but she got her revenge by chalking up her first win on Agricola!!

Life is good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.