GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,153 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Wasabi!» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Unable to complete a recipe rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Summertime is Christmas time
mbmbmbmbmb
We played this last night for the first time, 3-player. All found it frustrating. Maybe we don't get the strategy?

If you are able to complete a recipe, but the card you need is not available, what do you do? If you make the recipe you will not get the card you need and you have less recipe options left for the future. If you do not make the recipe you might not get the chance again.

Is it better to try and make the recipes you have, or keep drawing new recipes until you draw one that is easy to make with the ingredients you have and the current board position?

If you have already made all your 4 of your 2-point recipes then how do you get the cards you might need to complete longer recipes? Especially later in the game when there is not much space to play "Spicy".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
First off the only recipes that have singleton tiles are the 5 ingredient recipes. Second you don't actually need the tiles in hand, just rearranging the board correctly is good enough. Now grabbing tiles (including another player unique ingredient) to block is usually a tempo waster and so not a good move. BTW, the "with style" bonuses are usually worth it even if you must delay a turn to do it. It is also possible to complete multiple recipes on a single turn long ad each recipe had either an added card or a tile you moved via a special card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
That is also why I like to start with the longer recipes. Especially early in the game when the board is wide open and you can play your tiles almost anywhere to set up your recipe. Leave the 2-point recipes for later in the game when the board is more congested (or the chance to complete one with a longer recipe).

And as Mark said - don't be afraid to use ingredients already on the board shamelessly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
Is it better to try and make the recipes you have

It's always good to make some small recipes early on to start getting the action cards, which can make all the difference when trying to make the bigger recipes on a crowded board.

You have to balance that against using up all your small recipes though - if you run out of the 2's and 3's it can be hard to score late in the game. So make one or two small ones early to enable the bigger ones (when action cards can be key), and never get stuck with only long recipes on your menu - that can be a real killer to making progress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Summertime is Christmas time
mbmbmbmbmb
I started with a 5 and two 2 recipes. My plan was to try and complete the long one first, using the small ones to get cards. One of my opponents played a couple of the ingredients in my 5 so I was trying to use those to complete the 5. But I had to have the right cards to do that (Stack, I think). But when I completed a 2 recipe, there was no Stack card available, so I had to take a Spicy. But I did not have the ingredients to use the Spicy. I kept trying to make 2 recipes to get the cards to make the 5, but I couldn't always get the cards I wanted (the other players had taken them) and meanwhile, where I wanted to make the 5 got more and more congested and muddled. Soon I had run out of 2 recipe tokens, and it was pretty difficult to complete 3 recipes with board getting crowded and a shortage of cards. I basically found the cards difficult to get, and the changes made by the other players screwed up my plans. So that's why I am asking for advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a 2 player game, you have 50% of the moves.
In a 3 player game, you have 33% of the moves.
In a 4 player game, you have 25% of the moves.

I know that seems obvious, but there's a lot of chaos with 4 chefs and odds are high you aren't completing all your orders. Try to please your customers with style and do everything you can to block the other chef's ability to make their big rolls.

With 2 players, you have much more control over the board.

Relying solely on cards (a limited resource) to finish your orders isn't necessarily wise - careful placement of ingredients will help too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.