Popular Tags: [View All]
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some ideas for new equipment:

Katana (Cost: 4) - +2 dice in melee
Chainsaw (Cost: 5) - +3 dice in melee, but melee attacks are at -1 Rep; kills one extra zombie, if you have at least one extra hit; runs out of fuel and is then removed, if you roll 2 or more Ones with the bonus dice (roll the 3 bonus dice seperately)
Adrenaline (Cost: 1) - Used after Initiative is rolled (like drugs); removed after use; gain +2 MP and +1 dice in melee this turn
Silencer (Cost: 1) - One less Shot generated than normal (only available for Pistol, Double Pistol, SMG, Assault Rifle, and Hunting Rifle; cannot be removed from the weapon it is bought for; cannot be found as loot)

If you want to make these findable...

If you draw a Baseball Bat or Vest loot card, roll 1d6:
1-4: Find the item on the card (Baseball Bat/Vest)
5: Find Katana
6: Find Chainsaw

If you draw a Drugs loot card, roll 1d6:
1-3: Drugs
4-6: Adrenaline

Of course, these items should be limited as well.

There should be two Katana/Chainsaw counters and two Adrenaline/Silencer counters.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluessendorf
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
... that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Benjamin Franklin-
mbmbmbmbmb

I like your suggestions. I especially like your system for rolling to find them. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if increasing a survivor’s melee dice pushes the system to the breaking point? Zombies have to win melee to do any harm to survivors. As it stands, arming Tonya or Nick with a vest and a bat basically makes them nearly immune to taking damage, unless they are absolutely inundated with zombies. Better melee weapons is more of the same. Why not make new weapons more interesting instead of just better basebal bats?

Just tossing out some (untested, probably bad) ideas:

No matter how good the survivor is inmelee, they can’t kill more than one zombie per round (except Sailor). Maybe the chainsaw should have a chance to kill more zombies, but at the risk of attracting more zombies? How about +2 dice in melee, can’t be combined with vest (too bulky), and kills an extra zombie with every extra hit over the zombie’s number of hits. Get NO extra dice if used in melee with an enemy survivor (too clumsy), but if the chainsaw wielder wins combat, always inflicts one extra wound. If you roll triple Ones, it runs out of fuel and is discarded. Place a Shot 2 every time it is used in melee.

Katana? +1 dice in melee, reduce opponent’s Rep –1 for melee only. Can’t be combined with vest (too bulky).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
ZombieMark wrote:
I wonder if increasing a survivor’s melee dice pushes the system to the breaking point? Zombies have to win melee to do any harm to survivors. As it stands, arming Tonya or Nick with a vest and a bat basically makes them nearly immune to taking damage, unless they are absolutely inundated with zombies. Better melee weapons is more of the same. Why not make new weapons more interesting instead of just better basebal bats?

Just tossing out some (untested, probably bad) ideas:

No matter how good the survivor is inmelee, they can’t kill more than one zombie per round (except Sailor). Maybe the chainsaw should have a chance to kill more zombies, but at the risk of attracting more zombies? How about +2 dice in melee, can’t be combined with vest (too bulky), and kills an extra zombie with every extra hit over the zombie’s number of hits. Get NO extra dice if used in melee with an enemy survivor (too clumsy), but if the chainsaw wielder wins combat, always inflicts one extra wound. If you roll triple Ones, it runs out of fuel and is discarded. Place a Shot 2 every time it is used in melee.

Good ideas all.

Coming from a guy who uses chainsaws frequently (yours truly), I have a suggestion to make the weapon more interesting and throw in a bit of realism. A chainsaw is heavy (25 pounds for something with decent power) and will wear down even a strong person after a while. So I would create some form of movement penalty while carrying a chainsaw such as: -1 movement point and/or making fast move harder to pull off or eliminating the fast move ability while carrying a saw. A guy repeatedly using a saw at a zombie neck level will soon run out of shoulder strength. I'd also say that a chainsaw could never be stored in someone's pack. So if you needed a weapon in your pack, you'd have to drop the saw on the hex and possibly be able to pick it up later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZombieMark wrote:
I wonder if increasing a survivor’s melee dice pushes the system to the breaking point? Zombies have to win melee to do any harm to survivors.

Yep, quite possible.

The Chainsaw will be gone, eventually, though, so it is not that bad.

And the Katana only gives +1 dice over the Baseball Bat (still at the expense of not being able to shoot zombies when being charged).

ZombieMark wrote:
Better melee weapons is more of the same. Why not make new weapons more interesting instead of just better basebal bats?

I like your idea with the Chainsaw being able to inflict extra hits.
And yeah, it should have some serious drawback, too.

I would not make the vest not usable with it, though.

Edited the original post to make some changes.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I'm watching the fireworks display at the local lakeside park last night (Happy B-Day, UAS!), and I remember the fireworks used in Land of the Dead to distract the zombies (in the movie, they stare at the fireworks and ignore everything else). I don't have any particulars in mind, but as far as new equipment, using fireworks to keep the zombies from moving for a turn or two might useful in ATZ. Could be something as elaborate as previously set up, remote activated fireworks, or as mobile as a Roman candle or even a roadside flare. Whatever. Yes, new weapons are sexy, but new gear might be fun, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
msg tools
Chainsaws are noisy too! Each round of HTH fought with a chainsaw, lay down a 6 shot counter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThePup wrote:
Chainsaws are noisy too! Each round of HTH fought with a chainsaw, lay down a 6 shot counter.
You might want to playtest that one, first. Sailor could lay down 3 to 5 Shot 6 counters in one turn.

You'd be better off shooting the survivor with a chainsaw with a shotgun.devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
msg tools
I'm just taking from the mini game rules :-) Chainsaws are deadly, but you wanna be careful where you use 'em!

Actually, I think the mini rules are 6 shots "For each turn running" - so sailor could tear through 3 or 4 zeds in a turn and still only count the one 6 shot counter (placed where he was at start of turn - yes, he could run into them!)

For boardgame, perhaps 3 shots would be better - it is a little more cramped. Will have to play things out and see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.