GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,221 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Space Hulk (third edition)» Forums » News

Subject: Space Hulk wins the 2010 Origins Award for Best Boardgame! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Fralish
United States
Yorktown Heights
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very deserving win for one of the board game releases of the last year. See the all the nominees and winners here:
http://critical-hits.com/2010/06/26/origins-2010-origins-awa...

Now, can we please put Space Hulk 3rd Ed back in the top 5 where it belongs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess if we could submit files for the game...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hyper-Glitze wins over substance... yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fralish
United States
Yorktown Heights
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Hyper-Glitze wins over substance... yuk

I could point out at least five games that you have marked as "owned" that would more than fit this statement, but I guess pointing out other people's hypocrisy is rude...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fralish
United States
Yorktown Heights
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

-shnar

Space Hulk would be a top 5 game if you could submit files for it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Riordan
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fralim wrote:

Not gonna happen.

It was nearly that high at one time, but the fans went full retard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short to be angry all the time. Smile and enjoy the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't I ever saw a game receive more attention, good or bad. The game is both notorious and beloved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Short
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fralim wrote:
Very deserving win for one of the board game releases of the last year. See the all the nominees and winners here:

In the top 5, with all the other Origins Awards winners: Indy Hero Clix, Parthenon, Treehouse, Zendo, and StarCraft.

Winning Best Board Game at Origins doesn't really mean much. Ticket to Ride and Pandemic are the only Origins Award winners I know of to even crack the top 100. Other than those, I don't think I've ever seen the most deserving game come anywhere close to winning (These are the awards where Zombie Fluxx won Best Card Game over Race for the Galaxy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
しんぶん赤旗
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha, stick that in your pipe and smoke it all you eurosnoots and folks who got in a huff and rated it a 1 when GW had their melt down. I only wish that the origin judges had of added a little note saying the game was better when played with the 1st edition rules.

Rock on Space Hulk!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Verily. Origins awards have become a bit of a joke over the years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bsushort wrote:
fralim wrote:

In the top 5, with all the other Origins Awards winners: Indy Hero Clix, Parthenon, Treehouse, Zendo, and StarCraft.

Winning Best Board Game at Origins doesn't really mean much. Ticket to Ride and Pandemic are the only Origins Award winners I know of to even crack the top 100. Other than those, I don't think I've ever seen the most deserving game come anywhere close to winning (These are the awards where Zombie Fluxx won Best Card Game over Race for the Galaxy).

I agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bsushort wrote:
fralim wrote:

Irrelevant. Other Origins winners have nothing to do with the fact Space Hulk 3rd Ed. is a worthy winner, and was also highly-ranked here on BGG until a campaign was organized to nuke its ratings for reasons that had nothing to do with the quality of the boardgame itself (although the tortured rationalizations people used to justify smacking SH3E with low ratings allowed me to likewise stick "2's" on games I had no intention of playing).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick L
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Jumo wrote:
LordHellfury wrote:

Not displeased that it won. In fact its quite cool.

Any chance that you would release the Hulk Mission Archive to honor this renewed award? :)

You seriously made me/us look forward to it with the release of the Beta Hulk Archive Template after you finished the Hulk Archive 3rd Edition Rule Book in November 2009.

Sorry, I couldn't resist trying again. :shake:

Count me in as dying for a copy of the mission archive, too...

I've been playing a lot of 3rd ed. with a friend who was smart enough to pick up a 3rd ed copy, whereas since I had a 2nd ed. copy I passed it up.

The whole GW meltdown made me temporarily glad I hadn't given them more money to buy a re-release of an unsupported game, but the game has been amazing for 20 odd years now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
bolter wrote:
Ha, stick that in your pipe and smoke it all you eurosnoots and folks who got in a huff and rated it a 1 when GW had their melt down. I only wish that the origin judges had of added a little note saying the game was better when played with the 1st edition rules.

Rock on Space Hulk!

+1. great game with 1st ed rules. Is there any other 20 year old game reprint that won an equivalent award?...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fralim wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

It's that very reason why it's not top 5. When the game became locked out, the fans could no longer expand it. Many retaliated by rating it a 1, but I honestly cannot disagree with them. Some of the games I find the most enjoyable are the ones that can (and are) tweaked by the fans. Cosmic Encounter, Last Night on Earth, etc. All of these the game continues to be greater and greater because fan content drives the game (in addition to the game being stellar).

Space Hulk is a superb game, but would be 10x better if we could continue to improve upon it. Now, little one-off sites show up with only marginal improvements. If only we could consolidate all these tweaks in one central location...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tazar Yoot
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe they should just make a new game profile on BBG called "Popular Corridor Space Game," and add files for the game there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
fralim wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

It's that very reason why it's not top 5. When the game became locked out, the fans could no longer expand it. Many retaliated by rating it a 1, but I honestly cannot disagree with them. Some of the games I find the most enjoyable are the ones that can (and are) tweaked by the fans. Cosmic Encounter, Last Night on Earth, etc. All of these the game continues to be greater and greater because fan content drives the game (in addition to the game being stellar).

Space Hulk is a superb game, but would be 10x better if we could continue to improve upon it. Now, little one-off sites show up with only marginal improvements. If only we could consolidate all these tweaks in one central location...

-shnar

Blame BGG. GW allows it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Magalhães
Brazil
Olinda
Pernambuco
flag msg tools
Come on! It's Sci-Fi!
badge
Get Your Finger Out of My Face!! =D
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the history began with the question, is it a Wargame?

A lot of people ranked low with arguings about SH as poor wargame. Ok, so it´s not a wargame. whistle

Then it went high again in rank, slashing over the adored Eurogames, and again more ranks 1 with hype reason.

At least for a better Justification for the eurospirits, Aldie´s vacation culminate with a bad reception from a moderation who wasn´t tactful with a property letter helps to put the last shovel in the SH´s grave.

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottB wrote:
shnar wrote:
fralim wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

-shnar

Blame BGG. GW allows it.

I'm not "blaming" anyone. I'm just stating that if we could submit files and continue to support the game, it would have a higher rating...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
ScottB wrote:
shnar wrote:
fralim wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

-shnar

Blame BGG. GW allows it.

I'm not "blaming" anyone. I'm just stating that if we could submit files and continue to support the game, it would have a higher rating...

-shnar

I continue to be surprised that BGG policy affects user ratings for this particular game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Short
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
milgate wrote:
Other Origins winners have nothing to do with the fact Space Hulk 3rd Ed. is a worthy winner, and was also highly-ranked here on BGG until a campaign was organized to nuke its ratings for reasons that had nothing to do with the quality of the boardgame itself (although the tortured rationalizations people used to justify smacking SH3E with low ratings allowed me to likewise stick "2's" on games I had no intention of playing).
It's not tortured rationalization. Those games are, in fact, 2s to you. Most people simply don't rate the vast majority of their 2s.

(And I'm not actually a Space Hulk hater, just an Origins Awards hater. Although I'd probably put SH at around the 200-250 range, personally.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
fralim wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

===============

-shnar

ya know shnar, now that the whole C&D thing is in the past a bit and new things have happened, i've come to new conclusion about that whole deal.

i really think the straw that broke GW's back (as far as bgg.com goes) was the uploading of that "Pocket Space Hulk" card game. i actually grabbed a copy of it while it was posted and it was quite good. nobody could have known then that GW and FFG were in production of Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game. Either FFG was gonna do something, or GW was gonna do something, so it might as well be GW because people that hate them, hate them, and people who don't, still don't. No reason for FFG to be the bad guys.

Also, Space Hulk was still on sale, now it's a done deal. i bet if players really looked over GW's legal page, it is possible to upload scenarios, variants etc. and keep the game going (just not here at bgg.com). But as long as the homemade cardgame keeps popping up, forget it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. Its the fault of those damn filthy fans keeping those long dead games alive! Burn em all!

According to notes. The space Hulk theme for Zombie in my Pocket (Which is not a card game. Its a tile laying game with an event deck,) vanished with the second wave purge. Not the first wave.
Im sure it was a major threat to FFGs release in any case.

Was easy enough to re-theme it to Alien Assault. Enjoy!
devil

Cracky wrote:
ya know shnar, now that the whole C&D thing is in the past a bit and new things have happened, i've come to new conclusion about that whole deal.

i really think the straw that broke GW's back (as far as bgg.com goes) was the uploading of that "Pocket Space Hulk" card game. i actually grabbed a copy of it while it was posted and it was quite good. nobody could have known then that GW and FFG were in production of Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game. Either FFG was gonna do something, or GW was gonna do something, so it might as well be GW because people that hate them, hate them, and people who don't, still don't. No reason for FFG to be the bad guys.

Also, Space Hulk was still on sale, now it's a done deal. i bet if players really looked over GW's legal page, it is possible to upload scenarios, variants etc. and keep the game going (just not here at bgg.com). But as long as the homemade cardgame keeps popping up, forget it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.