GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,872 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Diamant» Forums » Variants

Subject: Zombiamant, a variant with free online play against AI rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombiamant is a variant of Diamant I've come up with which, besides the obvious retheme, changes up gameplay with the addition of "safeties." Safeties are cards which can protect people from certain hazards; each hazard has a corresponding safety.

If you would "bust out" by getting a second of a hazard type, but the safety is available, instead you get rid of the safety. After being found, safeties are never shuffled back into the deck.

In addition, if someone leaves by themself, they get to take all safeties which are left behind.

If someone who possesses the correct safety for a hazard is still exploring when the second hazard is drawn, they must use their safety, and everyone is saved from the hazard. The safety is discarded after use and removed from the game, as normal.

You can play Zombiamant on my webpage. It's still a work in progress and will be a bit rough around the edges. Also worth noting that my points distribution is not the same as Diamants.

It runs on Firefox and on Opera Mobile on my Windows Mobile handset. I suspect it should work well on iPhones, as well. Doesn't work on IE.

I'm looking for any suggestions you might have, especially with respect to the performance of the AI. The four AI are tuned differently; Reynold has more of a risk aversion, Chloe is more drawn to supplies that are left behind, Vivian is more eager to see what else is left, and Harry takes a balanced approach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting attempt.
I played 2 games on it.

I'm surprised you mixed up the distribution, but it works OK.
Surprised also at the concept of a "safety" in Diamant, and thought it would break the game, but in the instructions it makes clear that there is only 1 safety of 5 different types, and each safety only protects against one type of hazard.

I got a safety, and ended up using it against the first revealed double-hazard, then hightailed it outta there and got 2 more safeties, thought it was broken.
Then when the remaining 2 cities' hazards came up, my safeties didn't work because they didn't match the revealed 2nd hazard - so I guess they aren't broken, even though I don;t recommend their inclusion since it gives the player a sense of safety when he should not feel that in this game - it's all about the tension when that card is revealed. And that tension is removed when playing online BTW - this is a game that MUST be played in-person, with cards around a table IMO.

The name sounds better/funnier as Zombie Gold than as Zombiamant, IMO.

The AI's really aren;t a challenge - I won both games going away (2nd game featured 3 straight rounds with only one non-hazard tile revealed(11 out of 12 tiles were hazards IIRC and I won 40 to 9). So I'm not sure about the random generator, but I have seen crazy stuff in the real game, as well.

Good effort, but I'm afraid it's fatally flawed because it removes the around-the-table tension required for the fun.
But if you added graphics for the cards it would help tremendously (look at the Zombinion (Dominion retheme) cards to snag easy pictures, if they're OK with that).

thumbsup for the try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gameplay wise, I think the safeties add an element of player interaction. Unless you personally possess it you can't exactly count on it being there since someone could leave and take it with them at any time and without warning. It also means, for example, that you can leave and try to strand other players.

In my testing, safeties aren't even used in every game, on average (i.e. the killing hazard is one for which the correct safety is not in play). Of course, some games, 3 or 4 safeties might be used. Such is randomness.

Regarding the AI, you think they run too early?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just tweaked the AIs a bit to make them less likely to leave when there's low risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
Regarding the AI, you think they run too early?
Yes, they were running way too early.

I haven;t tried it after you updated it, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.