Joseph Cesare
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Search rolls can never be Degraded below 1d10 or Enhanced above 1d4."

Obviously a typo where "above" and "below" need to be reversed.
BUT.... What about the Patrol Group's detection roll? In the COASTAL patrol box it normally rolls a 1d12. Can its 1d10 roll in the SEARCH patrol box be degraded to 1d12?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thompson
Australia
Brisbane
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a typo. Degrading increases the die sides.

As for the question, I would say no. Degrading only goes down to 1d10 max.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wakeham
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

1d10 CAN be degraded to 1d12
1d12 CAN be enhanced to 1d10.

See Dan's answer to the second question in this thread.

I'm including it as errata in the Clarifications and Errata document that I'm STILL trying to complete. Out by the end of this week, I promise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cesare
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tycalt wrote:

That's my point. It should read "Search rolls can never be Degraded above 1d10 or Enhanced below 1d4."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wakeham
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Owsley wrote:
Tycalt wrote:

That's my point. It should read "Search rolls can never be Degraded above 1d10 or Enhanced below 1d4."

I think the intention is probably to describe the effect on the search roll rather than the number of sides of the die. If the weather is such that I have to roll 1d10 instead of 1d8 then, yes, I have more sides on my die but I also have a reduced chance of detecting the British surface vessels; my search capabilities are "degraded". Also it just sounds wrong (oxymoronic?) to say degraded "above" and enhanced "below".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cesare
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
batdog wrote:
Owsley wrote:
Tycalt wrote:

I think the intention is probably to describe the effect on the search roll rather than the number of sides of the die. If the weather is such that I have to roll 1d10 instead of 1d8 then, yes, I have more sides on my die but I also have a reduced chance of detecting the British surface vessels; my search capabilities are "degraded". Also it just sounds wrong (oxymoronic?) to say degraded "above" and enhanced "below".

I don't want to belabor the point but if you re-read the sentence omitting the adjectives "degraded" and "enhanced" (omitting adjectives always brings clarity) it is obvious that the sides of the die are the subject of the sentence. "Above" and "below" are adverbs referring to the roll of the die. Adverbs don't modify adjectives. I know that we Americans don't speak the Queen's English but the rules of grammar are the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.