United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll start:

Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper

Maybe it's me, but I had to go to rehab after reading that piece of crap rulebook...my god. It's unfortunate too, because there's a really good game there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CM D
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ghost Stories springs to mind.......

I have high hopes for the game but first I need to figure out the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Miller
United States
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Punk Rock Warlord
mbmbmbmbmb
Ummmm, so you're saying you don't like reading Moby Dick?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This could become a cool geeklist .. but to add to the topic:

Age of Napoleon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett R.
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For some reason, I have a hell of a time with Friedmann Friese rulebooks. Funny Friends is still sitting on my shelf, un-played because of this.

On the note of Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper though, I got my copy off the Geek's marketplace, and when I received it the previous owner had included a simplified ruleset he had typed up, so I never had to deal with that rules nightmare!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - Water from an Ancient Well
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moby Dick is a great book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stronghold. This seems more like a geek list than a forum though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:

Maybe, but it's a terrible rulebook...cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kvenosdel wrote:
Stronghold. This seems more like a geek list than a forum though...

Done! Here: Games with badly written Rulebooks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris (not the singer) Brown
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Much to the chagrin of a lot of people, I will need to throw Agricola into the mix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that odd. I never struggled to understand anything from that rule book. What was difficult for you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Sphere wrote:

Isn't it spelled Möbius?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hollihan
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Landstander wrote:
Sphere wrote:

Isn't it spelled Möbius?

I tried reading Möbius but it just kept repeating itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Trombik
Switzerland
Zuerich
flag msg tools
badge
Have I answered all your Questions and provided good Customer Service? THAT MAKES NO SENSE! That's the Paradox, my Friend!
mbmbmbmb
Stronghold: Let's not forget the badly re-written Rulebook of the Original badly written Rulebook......cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leonardo da Vinci.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Evans
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Fields of Fire - it's on the above mentioned Geeklist but needs seconding. Advanced Squad Leader a complex game but at least the rulebook (or should I say binder) gives a good feel for how the game should be played. The Fields of Fire rulebook on the other hand leaves you feeling completely bewildered. To even begin trying to play you need to download the unofficial reorganisation of the rules, the examples of play - then you will at least get the gist of it. You then need to play it through several times, and spend at lot of time in the Rules section of the Forum to know how to play it properly.

Good game? Yes, Worth the effort? Debatable.

PS really enjoyed Moby Dick, never understood the problem with it. Gravity's Rainbow on the other hand - now there's a book that'll test your patience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
yossarians wrote:

Moby Dick is pure awesomeness! I'd like to say to all: "Do, in fact, read Moby Dick!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yossarians wrote:

I credit Moby Dick as the piece of required reading that we did in high school that truly changed how I think about what I read. For that, I have to respect it. But for pleasure, no, not even a little bit.

Ob. bad rules discussion: I think the rules for just about every Martin Wallace game I've seen tend to be quite bad. His games are usually not terribly complex, but you'd never know it by the rules. But for really awful, you have to go back to some fairly old-school Avalon Hill. Dune and Republic of Rome stand out as some really badly written rules for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Daulton
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rather read anything but Moby Dick. How is that a "classic" anyways? Tomb has awful rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
"Call me Ishmael,"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
drew upside down
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moby Dick shouldn't be "taught" like it is in high schools. That saps all of the humor. Look at all of the numerous asides in the same way that you see the voice of the book in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and I bet you'll love Moby Dick. The stuff that seems boring and pretentious at first glance is actually one of the greatest satirists of that era skewering boring, pretentious people.

My current vote for rule salad is Origins. The rules are pretty straightforward once they're understood, but the whole shebang could use a rewrite. Most of our group think it's a great game and worth learning.

(Edited for subject/verb agreement.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Vinarcik
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schattentanz wrote:
This could become a cool geeklist .. but to add to the topic:

Age of Napoleon

I signed up to play this at Origins this year; I had a copy of the rulebook that I looked over on the way down (but not as closely as I'd have liked).

My opponent hadn't played, either. We muddled our way through, but it certainly wasn't an easy start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Foster
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:
I'll start:

Maybe it's me, but I had to go to rehab after reading that piece of crap rulebook...my god. It's unfortunate too, because there's a really good game there.

Very true, and it's not only you. Check out the very helpful player aid by Liumas in the Files section. It's an excellent game with plenty of tactical choices-unusual for a rummy variant!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
bboppr wrote:
markgravitygood wrote:
I'll start:

Very true, and it's not only you. Check out the very helpful player aid by Liumas in the Files section. It's an excellent game with plenty of tactical choices-unusual for a rummy variant!

The rules were written for a prior generation of gamers. We had little problem playing the game when it first came out.

Some years later, more recently we played and just couldn't get it. The newer games have dumbed us down (or however you want to argue it - some good, some bad). So we added a player aid to help, with some help from Brian and also from Christine of course. I know for sure, after another some-years-break, this game will be easy to pick up the next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David van Damme
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
badge
Luna Llena. Crucial rules are hard to find, translation mistakes and use of color in the rulebook make playing the game feel like work instead of play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.