Damon
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
DO NOT CLICK HERE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings and salutations! I am typing up this, my first review!To tell you guys & girls about a pretty dang cool little "Fantasy Football" set I got recently.

Last month I decided I wanted to play some Blood Bowl (Third Edition) So I began sifting through website after website, trying to find a good deal on a starting set of Blood Bowl. I gotta tell you it was a little intimidating, there is a ton of stuff out there for this game. I was able to find a few boxed sets with Human versus Orc teams at a somewhat decent price. But only Humans and Orcs huh? So I started looking at the prices of teams, and I could see this game becoming very expensive very quickly.

Then I found something!

I saw this set on ebay at a ridiculous price, went to the sellers website and found a few of the same set for a reasonable price. I decided it was worth it and purchased my copy and began waiting. It took a little while for the game to get here from Spain, but it did.

So, what is this mini travel magnetic BB you may ask? let's take a look at the blurb from the seller's website.

Magnetic mini board game perfect for your travels. Designed by LEI. It will allow you to play your favorite Fantasy Football game wherever you wish. Really useful for practicing strategies, plays and semi-ones before any Tournament or any important League game. Its size is 24 cm long x 24 cm wide (10” long x 10” wide).

The board game can be bent, as you can see on the picture. The closing system includes a safety latch. When the board game is closed, you’ll be able to keep inside all the game components: players, counters, dice, etc.

The item includes 42 magnetic Teams. You will just have to cut them to start playing! Each team contains 13 players and there are 2 teams alike of each of the 21 official races of the game (total 42 teams and 546 players). Therefore, you will always have a spare player if you lose any player. Also, you will be able to play with 2 Teams of the same race (for instance, Orcs vs Orcs).

The black block dice are not included. They are shown in the picture just to give you an idea of the size of the mini board game.

THE ITEM INCLUDES:

* Magnetic board game

* 42 Magnetic Teams (546 players)

* 2 Mini Range Rulers

* 4 six-sided Dice (7mm x 7mm): 2 red and 2 blue

* 8 Re-roll and Turn Counters (2 red, 2 yellow, 2 green and 2 blue)

* 3 pieces of yellow pressure-sensitive adhesive to make up to 15 footballs

Get this great item and play Fantasy Football wherever you travel!!!

What's all that about? let's look!

Here we have a component layout photograph of the goober and board.
The little pawns have magnets in the base so as to stick to the board and keep track of the rounds of a game. The teams come printed on flexible magnetic material, the printing is on one side only. The team players are approximately 1/3 of an inch square, they are decently drawn in a somewhat cartoonish style that is pleasing to the eye.

You will also get two pass templates, these are printed in spanish, but still usable.
You get 4 dice, and you get a little stick of ticky-tacky that is apparently supposed to be rolled up and used as the ball.

The game board folds in half for storage, here is the outside.

Now, the inside of the board... woah! what's this? super secret surprise!

Just in case you get tired of blood bowl, there is a backgammon board on the inside!

Overall, I am very pleased with this purchase.

Pros:

2 of each team.
Mini.
Magnetic.
Fold up board. Highly portable.
Groovy pass template.
well printed board and teams.

Cons:
playing pitch being printed on outside of case may lead to eventual scratches?
The ball is sub-par.
Obviously a ripoff of GW Blood Bowl.
That's all I can think of right now.

Time to get to cutting!

You can try to get your own copy of this fine knock-off here.
http://comixininos.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=...

I hope you've had fun in our time together.
Game On.

Damon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the idea of this, although I'm sure I would never get to use it. Unfortunately, the minis are what make the game exceptional for myself and my friends who play this game.

Many of them are Warhammer (40K) players and they love the hobby aspect of Blood Bowl. The aesthetics of the game are so crucial that I don't even feel like playing again until at least a couple of my teams are fully painted, which, at this rate, seems like it could be finished sometime next lifetime.

It is awesome that you bought this P'n'P project and reviewed it, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
DO NOT CLICK HERE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to be able to play real blood bowl but I do not know anyone else that plays. It seems very daunting to jump into all by myself without some sort of guide/mentor.

So between this little set and the blood bowl video game, I get my fix.

Damon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Goff
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers!!
mbmbmbmbmb
What was the cost in US dollars?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Samurai
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It's €25 or €40 inc shipping outside Europe. €40 = $50 if my maths is right...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Buchler
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made my own magnetic mini set 95 or so, with eight teams, using painted bingo chips with magnets glued to the bottoms. I used position codes like GW was doing in White Dwarf when they used to support the game and showed play tactics and game reports. All very practical, but the visual/tactile appeal was lacking.

Eventually I invested in several "real" teams and played the "regular" way. Am now up to 16 full 16-member teams and five other teams in various states of assemblage.

But this version definitely outclasses my homebrew by quite a ways, that's for sure.

Thanks for sharing this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Buchler
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And will you someday invest in the full-size Love Arena mat they are offering for just under 31 euros? Probably not a wise investment if you're a married chap...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
DO NOT CLICK HERE!
mbmbmbmbmb
SorenK23 wrote:
And will you someday invest in the full-size Love Arena mat they are offering for just under 31 euros? Probably not a wise investment if you're a married chap...

Maybe if I had a nice amazon team
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Ligot
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Re: Initial impressions of "Mini Travel Magnetic BB", by LEI & comixininos
Has anyone played this? I really want to get into BB but don't have the cash to buy all the teams. The fact that this version has counters for all the teams is awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Navander
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

Damon, just read your post. Game looks great, and is still for sale from comixininos, but how is it to move the players around? Do you need a tweezer to play? Since you did not mention this under cons, maybe it is not a problem.
The players looks like FUMBBL players. Any similarities?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
DO NOT CLICK HERE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry I do not know FUMBBl. The players are rather diminutive so I guess that tweezers could be helpful though I do not believe them to be needed to play

I have no clue if comixininoes still sells this product but I definitely suggest a look at their site to check. They have many interesting products for blood bowl.

Edit: I just looked at comixininoes site and they do sell this still, 25 euros

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
deanalot Co_PriceG
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Very cool indeed - they are exactly like the fumbble sprites (I rekon). This is awesome, shame it doesn't come with Rulebook, team roosters or anything like that - very much needed for beginner like my'self, I know its downloadable but I don't own a printer so.. I'll just have to stick to the PC version for now.. thanks for posting the review
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Calzolari
Italy
S.Lazzaro di Savena
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deanalot wrote:
... I know its downloadable ...

Where?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The living rulebook for Bloodbowl is downloadable from GW:

Edit: Hmm well it used to be.....

Edit: think this link might be the current rules:
http://www.bloodbowl-game.com/index.php?rub=medias-rulebook

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Otero
Spain
Aranjuez
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hola, esta genial.
Puedes subir los archivos de las imágenes de los jugadores¿?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Buchler
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This and an expansion are still available! I just ordered the base set reviewed here; total to ship to the United States was $54.

The expansion adds all the Star Players and stunty teams, two different colors of magnetic balls, and extra players for all teams. 1,200 magnets in the tiny package! I held off on ordering that since it remains to be seen if I will actually like using the main game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I planned to make my own version of this years ago, but this looks pretty well done. I would put the pitch on the inside, so it could be folded up mid-game and preserved. I even planned to use chess pieces as miniatures - but it looks like they have gone the whole hog and produced many scaled-down magnetic teams that would fit on the board! All unavailable right now unfortunately.

I've found an older version of the file I used to produce this:

so I can use it to make my own sometime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.