Subject: Find the treasure and run! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
"Today is the yesterday you won't be able to remember tomorrow" -Pinkwater
mbmbmbmbmb
[Edit: I belatedly realize that some reading this might not know the game. For those good people, I have italicized all first usage of words that have a special in-game meaning. That is, they're defined as Special Abilities you can assign to figures.]

This was Mike's first game, but he picked it up quickly.

Figures

We used figures from Mage Knight Dungeons, which have uniform base sizes and while not exquisite, are not bad looking pre-painted fantasy minis, 28mm scale. We rolled a die for sides, he got the "evil" figures while I got the "good" heroes, though appearance is only skin deep.

Warbands

I had made a 309-point force for the good guys, and ten options for the other force, all ranging between 307-310 points. They ranged from five-figure warbands of fairly high-point figures to nine figures of not the best quality troops on the planet. He opted for the seven-figure force as being smack in the middle. He had three good figures (reasonable quality, high combat, some good Special abilities) and four lesser figures.

My five figures included one magic user, one hero, one fearless barbarian combat master, one cleric (he had only two Undead, so it wasn't the best choice) and one sneaky thief.

Terrain and Objective

We used a fairly balanced terrain set up, with a hill in the middle, rough going and woods along the back and sides, and one patch of unknown (we'd roll for it when someone walked into it, using terrain from Song of Gold and Darkness). I took three treasure chests from Mage Knight Dungeons, set two of them to TRAP, and the third to 1000 gold pieces. We randomized them and set one on the hill, one on the unknown terrain, and the third in a hedge on the other flank center.

To win you had to get the treasure off your own side of the table.

We Begin

After explaining the rules and what all his Special Abilities meant, I took first move, showing him about how many dice to roll and the various results. I raced my fighters out to defend the treasure chests, trying to get my halfling thief (short move) to the chests. My slow Magic User decided to end my turn with no activations, and so it was his first turn.

He got his three good units out quickly, but three of his poor quality units couldn't get themselves very far from his table edge. He was only able to move one of the three each turn, and they seemed to take turns, so he formed them into a task force group and had much fun roleplaying their "eagerness" to join the battle. They never did come into play at all ...

The First Casualty

Meanwhile, his Dashing Temple Cat missed a chance to hit my Hero hard, so instead went after my Halfling thief who had managed to roll three short moves in one turn and was a little too close to the front for a Dashing, Long Move Temple Cat to resist. The halfling was the first casualty of the game.

The Bloody Center

His Bone Warder, a Terror, had repelled my Hero, but my Fearless barbarian took him on, and fought him to a tie. My hero recuperated his nerve, passed a morale test to engage him, and together they managed to kill the Bone Warder.

Alas, the Temple Cat caught the Barbarian in a dash, and she died when I rolled a "1" in that combat. Revenge was swift, as my Magic User finally got to the front, Transfixed the Cat, and my Hero dispatched him. Both down two figures at this point.

The Battle on the Hill Top

In the meantime, his Big, Slow Ettin had discovered the treasure chest on his left flank was a trap and cleverly disabled it with his axe. My Cleric had arrived at the middle Treasure Chest (on the hill), but not with any action left to open it. On his next turn, his Forester Ape arrived at the chest, and we had decided you had to outnumber your opponents to open a chest that both sides were touching, so neither of us could open it. So my cleric attacked - and was knocked down!

His Ettin charged, but fortunately ended an inch away - hooray for Slow moving giants! My hero then came to my cleric's rescue, knocking the Ape down.

There was a dreadful scuffle around the hill for a few turns, with all three of my remaining units versus his Ape and Ettin. When the dust cleared, his ape was dead, my magic user barely escaped the Ettin by rolling a six, and my hero had opened the chest to discover it was the treasure!

The Shame of the Game

What happened next is shameful to tell. My Hero picked up the chest and sprinted for my edge of the board, abandoning his friends to the bellowing Ettin and his finally-getting-close band of three poor quality troops. Yes, it's not very heroic - but he won me the game!

He'll Be Back!

It was great fun, and he'll play again, I'm sure, even though he lost. It was pretty close, and if my Magic User had rolled a 3 or less, it would have been a Gruesome Kill, and morale rolls might have made me abandon the chest ... Yes, close game, and lots of fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.