Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #1» Forums » Rules

Subject: More rules questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: asljr_rsp [+] [View All]
The pirate's life for me!
United States
flag msg tools
pineapples are in my head
badge
"There is a Heppy Land Furfur A-waay"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, all. I've been playing this game nonstop for the past week, and I've logged at least 3 plays on all the scenarios. Had some questions.

1. Grain: How many shots does the defender get when a unit moves into grain for 1.5 MF? Obviously, if a unit moves into a building for 2 MF, the defender could get up to two shots, then and there. But grain?

2. I was playing S6, and I had a DC adjacent to the enemy at the start of the MPh. If I immediately spend 2 MF to place it, and the squad (hopefully!) fires, does the -1 FFNAM apply?

3. Subsequent First Fire: I have a chart for use of SWs and the different defensive fire shots during movement/defensive fire phases. I didn't understand one part where, a MG that had lost ROF SFF with the squad holding it D1F, as a FG, and BOTH units were given a final fire counter. I don't understand this, and I'm not sure if I would recognize the in a game. The squad itself has only fired once.

4. Close combat: I read that LMG FP is added for CC odds. I didn't think this was true. Is it?

5. If a MG prep fires, can the squad holding it, without prep firing, drop the MG in the MPh, and continue without it?

6. If a GREEN squad (not a conscript) uses a SW, when with a leader, are there still B# penalties? The very last paragraph on page 11 had me confused when it distinguished a Green squad WITHOUT a leader. Can someone explain Green units to me?

7. Routing: A.) A unit can NEVER EVER move closer to a known enemy unit, correct? Even if that unit is pinned/broken, or out of normal range? B.) A routing unit can move into an ochard or grain hex (when in season) and NOT suffer interdiction?


Also, is there some sort of ASL player directory online? I've been searching, but I can't find anything.

Thanks for replies in advanced.
Kris24
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Florie
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I will give it a go here and if I am wrong others will surely correct me.

1.) 1 shot per elligible stack. Also A MG that maintains ROF will only get one shot unless more MF is expended. In short round fractions down but a minimum of one attack per hex.

2.) only if Asault Movemnet was not declared or if in spending the extra MF a unit uses all of its availabel movement.

3.)Not sure how it is worded in the starter kits but if a unit or its MG uses SFF the unit and its support weapons are marked with a final fire counter.

4.) That was the case in the orginal Squad Leader but not in ASL.

5.) No.

6.) Normal B# applies i.e. no penalty. Green squads do not suffer from the penalties of inexperienced infantry when stacked with a leader, but conscipt units do. For example a green squad stacked with a leader would have 6 MF but a conscript unit would only have 5.

7.) Correct on both accounts. Remember a unit must rout in open ground to be eligiable to be interdicted. Orchards and in season grain (and brush also, among others) give a 0 TEM but are not open ground.

I think the MMP website has an online directory but it is likely woefully out of date.

Cheers,
Josh

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Newton
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Kris2476 wrote:
Also, is there some sort of ASL player directory online? I've been searching, but I can't find anything.


Where in the US do you live? If you're looking for an opponent and don't live near an active ASL club I'd suggest going to Gamesquad, and posting under the "ASL Opponents Wanted" subforum - you might find someone to play FTF, and can almost certainly find someone to play against via VASL (either realtime or via email).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
walternewton wrote:
Kris2476 wrote:
Also, is there some sort of ASL player directory online? I've been searching, but I can't find anything.

Where in the US do you live? If you're looking for an opponent and don't live near an active ASL club I'd suggest going to Gamesquad, and posting under the "ASL Opponents Wanted" subforum - you might find someone to play FTF, and can almost certainly find someone to play against via VASL (either realtime or via email).

In addition to what Walter said, there is also an "opponents wanted" Guild here on BGG, although it is rarely used (despite having nearly 100 members). I've gotten a couple of VASL PBEM games through the Guild posts:

ASL/ASLSK VASL Meetup
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/321

You can also use the two "Find Gamers" options to locate BGG members who might live near you, and then check their profiles to see if they own any ASLSK/ASL modules:

Users
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/users.php

And finally, you can also click on any ASL or ASLSK microbadge and get a list of players who have purchased that badge... although going through the list of owners and pointing at each of their flags to see if they live near you probably isn't anybody's idea of fun. An example:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/microbadge/5747

I think that the new web site design that MMP is working on is supposed to include a player directory feature. Of course, this new web site design has been coming "real soon now" for the past several years, so who knows when (or if) it will ever actually appear.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stewart Nairn
United Kingdom
Glasgow
Glasgow
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kris2476 wrote:

7. Routing: A.) A unit can NEVER EVER move closer to a known enemy unit, correct? Even if that unit is pinned/broken, or out of normal range?
Kris24

j23flo wrote:

7.) Correct on both accounts. Remember a unit must rout in open ground to be eligiable to be interdicted. Orchards and in season grain (and brush also, among others) give a 0 TEM but are not open ground.



Now I am just a beginner here, but 3.6 states that "a routing unit may not rout towards an enemy unit (even if broken),while in that enemy's LOS,...". The implication being that you can rout towards the enemy if they do not have LOS.

This kind of makes sense. If my unit is broken and your unit is adjacent then me and my boys are basically running for our lives - away from you. The fact that your palls are round the corner - unbeknown to us (i.e. no LOS) - does not affect our decision to run away from you and cannot affect the direction we choose to run in, which in the game may mean that as we rout the distance between us and your palls round the corner actually decreases. Once we get to the corner and your palls come into view that is a different matter and we can no longer decrease the distance. In reality while running away from you when we see your palls we would get a fright, utter some expletives and alter our course to run away from both units.

If I have got this wrong I am sure someone will correct me.






 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Florie
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
stewartnairn wrote:
Kris2476 wrote:

7. Routing: A.) A unit can NEVER EVER move closer to a known enemy unit, correct? Even if that unit is pinned/broken, or out of normal range?
Kris24

j23flo wrote:

7.) Correct on both accounts. Remember a unit must rout in open ground to be eligiable to be interdicted. Orchards and in season grain (and brush also, among others) give a 0 TEM but are not open ground.



Now I am just a beginner here, but 3.6 states that "a routing unit may not rout towards an enemy unit (even if broken),while in that enemy's LOS,...". The implication being that you can rout towards the enemy if they do not have LOS.

This kind of makes sense. If my unit is broken and your unit is adjacent then me and my boys are basically running for our lives - away from you. The fact that your palls are round the corner - unbeknown to us (i.e. no LOS) - does not affect our decision to run away from you and cannot affect the direction we choose to run in, which in the game may mean that as we rout the distance between us and your palls round the corner actually decreases. Once we get to the corner and your palls come into view that is a different matter and we can no longer decrease the distance. In reality while running away from you when we see your palls we would get a fright, utter some expletives and alter our course to run away from both units.

If I have got this wrong I am sure someone will correct me.








A unit that is not in a units LOS is not known to that unit. However you can not rout towards a known enemy that was in your LOS at any point during that rout phase.

Cheers,
Josh
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stewart Nairn
United Kingdom
Glasgow
Glasgow
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah! I get it.

The question was about a "known enemy unit", not an "enemy unit".

Thanks.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The pirate's life for me!
United States
flag msg tools
pineapples are in my head
badge
"There is a Heppy Land Furfur A-waay"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
richfam wrote:
walternewton wrote:
Kris2476 wrote:
Also, is there some sort of ASL player directory online? I've been searching, but I can't find anything.

Where in the US do you live? If you're looking for an opponent and don't live near an active ASL club I'd suggest going to Gamesquad, and posting under the "ASL Opponents Wanted" subforum - you might find someone to play FTF, and can almost certainly find someone to play against via VASL (either realtime or via email).

In addition to what Walter said, there is also an "opponents wanted" Guild here on BGG, although it is rarely used (despite having nearly 100 members). I've gotten a couple of VASL PBEM games through the Guild posts:

ASL/ASLSK VASL Meetup
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/321

You can also use the two "Find Gamers" options to locate BGG members who might live near you, and then check their profiles to see if they own any ASLSK/ASL modules:

Users
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/users.php

And finally, you can also click on any ASL or ASLSK microbadge and get a list of players who have purchased that badge... although going through the list of owners and pointing at each of their flags to see if they live near you probably isn't anybody's idea of fun. An example:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/microbadge/5747

I think that the new web site design that MMP is working on is supposed to include a player directory feature. Of course, this new web site design has been coming "real soon now" for the past several years, so who knows when (or if) it will ever actually appear.


That's more of what I was looking for, thanks. Of course, no one within 50 miles of me plays ASL, but I have a potential new VASL opponent.


Actually, I had a question on flamethrowers. I know in the game they can shoot up to 2 hexes (at least 40 meters in between) but WW2 flamethrowers, I think, could shoot up to about 15 meters. Is this accurate?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Haseler
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Most WW2 flamethrowers could reach 30-40 metres in the hands of a trained operator. There are various websites where the different designs of the combatants are recorded for reference. Those seen in films use lower pressure gas, and might only go 15 metres as you mention.

To enable the game reality that an enemy FT can threaten infantry across an ASL street, the rules allow area fire at a 2 hex range.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.