Hide
3 Posts

Carcassonne» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Walter
msg tools
Hi there! I played my first "live" game today with my two sons, ages 14 and 12. I had to agree to a round of Munchkin first before they agreed to play, but I think we all enjoyed the game. I recently picked up the iPhone app for Carcassone and have been playing against the easy AI, but I was eager to try this game out with some live competition. The boys are pretty good gamers but they can be a bit "unorthodox".

When a new tile was drawn, we all spent time thinking of where it could be placed along with the advantages and disadvantages of each placement.

The game started out slow and the 14 yr old was in last place for a while, put a 16 pt city put him back in the hunt. However, the 12 yr jumped out to a pretty big lead in late mid-game with a 24 pt completed city and a cloister in quick succession.

Having played the game on the iphone app, I had a better understanding of the strategic value of the farmland. The younger son racked up some good city and road points but didn't have any farmers. The older son gained about 6 points from farming at game end. However, I was able to win the game with 27 points from the fields. I think that may have helped the boys grasp the staregic value of the fields more that me just trying to explain it.

Thumbs up all around from the players. And they both agreed that it was better that "Settlers".

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once everyone playing realises the value of farmers, you move onto the next stage of hemming in opponents farmers so they are worthless.

It's such a strong game under the covers. Kind of like Hey, That's My Fish!, both look very simple and toy-ish, but when you play they get nasty!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Harris
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FNH1 wrote:
Once everyone playing realises the value of farmers, you move onto the next stage of hemming in opponents farmers so they are worthless.

Or, better yet - 'out-farming' them devil
Of course, this is easier with the 'fat farmer' in the first expansion.

Simon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.