GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,031 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Dominion» Forums » Variants

Subject: Fan Made Card - Banquet rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shadow Tiger
msg tools
Hey everyone, me and my friends are becoming big dominion fans, and even though Alchemy is still new and fresh we are experimenting with custom cards (just one at a time, using blanks)

I came up with this one, we playtested it twice and seems all around a good card, not too strong or too weak.

Banquet [4]

Reveal up to 3 cards from your hand.
For each treasure card: + 1 action
For each victory card: + 1 coin
For each action card: + 1 card

Action

So what we get here is a flexible card that gives you alot of possible bonuses, but its a conversion that doesn't combo too well. Obviously having + 1 coin per treasure card would allow you to buy gold and provinces really easy. But the way I set it up you will seldom get really powerful results, usually you get +2 actions and +1 card, or +1 card, +1 action and +1 coin.

I haven't tested with hybrid cards like great hall, harem and nobles. These cards would probably be more powerful, since if you have 2 hybrid cards you can get a +1 action, +2 cards, + 2coin, with 1 treasure, 2 great halls for example. This is very strong for a 4 cost card, so you may want to not play banquet with great halls. Harem and Nobles are more expensive and you will probably have less of them, so its not as big of an issue. Making you reveal 2 different cards will make this problem less frequent, but also make it so that its less useful early game with a 2 estate + banquet draw.

This card can be rebalanced down to 3 cost, or increased to 5 or 6 cost pretty easily, just adjust the rewards/number of cards revealed.

The inspiration was a "Self-Tribute"

It may seem weak at first but remember that you can combo it with other action cards like minion, secret chamber, cellar, etc.

Here is a variant that might work better for great halls/harems/nobles

Banquet [6]
Reveal up to 2 cards from your hand.
If you reveal a treasure card: +2 actions
If you reveal a victory card: + 2 coins
If you reveal an action card: +2 cards
Action

This variant restricts you to getting 1 of each bonus max. So at best you get 2 bonuses, and you cant get 4 coins or 4 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Leung
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I like the card and the outside-the-box thinking.

I personally would not pay too much attention to Hybrid cards, especially Great Hall, when designing because those cards themselves are a pretty broken when combo with others. Imo, Donald shouldn't have printed a hybrid card at cost 3. So if something goes wrong with it, it's not your card, it's Great Hall. (Think Tribute, Scout, Ironwork)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
9 92 33 JOFA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the concept.

Has anyone in your group tried building a deck of basically straight Banquet? I'm a little concerned by the possibility of self-comboing. It looks like you could get a deck that is effectively all Laboratories except at cost 4. Additionally, extra cards (a trasher, a +Buy) that might eventually clog a Lab deck could instead sustain this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shadow Tiger
msg tools
We had one person try going mostly banquets, it didn't work out too well. He didn't have enough action cards in his deck to combo it, mostly because each time you play an action card you loose it from your hand. So you have to have at least 33%, probably 50% of your deck as action cards in order to get consistent +1 action, +2 cards with it. You are much more likely to end up with +2 actions, +1 card or one of each.

I think if you get ironworks or university, it makes heavy banquet much stronger, but on its own its pretty weak. You probably only want 1 or 2, especially if there is no village type card. I think it also adds another option for strategies where you buy non-province victory points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.