adebisi
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
404 Not Found
badge
Click to format C:\
mbmbmbmbmb
During the past month I've been involved in the medieval warfare as me and my friend have been running a small campaign in BattleLore. Last week the decisive battle was fought and this is what was written in the chronicles.

Background:
Both me and my friend (mkaks7) are veterans of Memoir '44. Our troops have clashed on each other many times over, and all the fights could have ended either way. Our last campaign on the Mediterranean Theater ended in a tie as my friend made a powerful comeback in the last two battles.

A couple of months ago mkaks7 bought BattleLore on eBay. He first got familiar with the system and then introduced it to me. We though that it would be good idea to run a campaign right away in order to really get into the game.

Initial position for the decisive battle:
In the first battle of the campaign I kept forgetting the importance of keeping my troops together, which resulted in mkaks7's victory. I guess, learning it the hard way was what I needed because I took 5 consecutive wins in the following battles. The score was 1-5 to my advantage and I would have needed only one more win to claim the overall victory. My friend was unusually quiet after my fifth win.

But the ghosts of the past came back hounting as mkaks7 won the next three battles taking the score to 4-5. I was thinking - "It just can't happen again. I'm already holding the chalice of victory in my hands and can smell the sweetness of the nectar in it. Oh, its odour is so divine. And the colour! I can't even describe how beautiful the colour is. This time I won't let my friend to deprive it from me."

The kill aggregate was to my opponents favour, hence whoever wins the last match, would win the whole campaign.

Judgement Day:
In the beginning the War Counsils were formed. Both consisted of three clerics and two commanders giving both players a hand of five command cards. In addition to this mkaks7 chose one rogue, while I chose to have the fearsome Giant Spider under my command. In the previous battles that monster had been a real pain in my ass superseding the haemorrhoids. I had spent half of the battles on hunting one frigging 8-legger who was immobilizing my troops, or scavenging all my weakened units trying to withdraw. This time I intended to have that beast fighting for me.

The couple of first turns I spent on getting rid of bad cards, while mkaks7's troops were closing in. Getting my hand ready, I made my move on the third round. Bringing in the cavalry and the spider in front, and foot soldiers for support, I hit my enemy in the middle. The sneaky spider was the first one to strike, in hope of throwing a web on the enemy in the front. Rolled 2x d6 but nothing. The enemy fought back with two dice. The result was a bonus strike, which was to be rerolled to see if the hit was critical. You can imagine the howl that spread across my apartment as the reroll showed green. There went my spider, fallen to an enemy sword that fought back. She never spun a single web nor stung a single prey with her poison fang.

However, the cavalry and the foot soldier did what was expected from them. Scoring three kills I moved to a promising 1-3 lead. My troops suffered great casualties and were forced to fall back to recuperate, though.

Midgets from Hell:
Despite the drawback, mkaks7 kept pushing in the middle. This time his red dwarves were in front. Heavy hitters like those were on the top of my priority list to kill. If I could part heads from their low lying shoulders, the morale of the other enemy troops would certainly fall apart.

The dwarves were struck by lightning. The forest attacked them, twice. My cavalry and foot soldiers hammered them with spears and swords. All this resulted in my men getting smited by the dwarves who valiantly fought back. My whole army tried to batter those midgets from hell into the ground, but failed. Once I was close to succeeding, but then some #ยค%&ing cleric casted a healing spell.

After this it was an easy task for my opponent to score the necessary kills by hunting down my weakened units who never even got a chance to fight back. The final score was 6-3. The campaign ended 5-5 but I lost the tie break.

Final words:
The defeat was bitter. Very bitter. I cried out in agony. I lost my thirst for the pint of beer, I had reserved for the post campaign aftermath. A win in Halali! (Tally Ho!) offered no consolidation. I couldn't sleep before 3.00am because my brain was busy thinking what should I have done in a different way.

I have written to my profile that I want to feel bad after losing, and find triumph in victory. I guess, this must mean that BattleLore is a great game then laugh=D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A campaing that caused insomnia
BattleLore is a great game and it is neat that you have a partner to play so extensively with

I get most of my BL games on Vassal but would much rather play face to face.

Nice report!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adebisi
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
404 Not Found
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamer DC wrote:
BattleLore is a great game and it is neat that you have a partner to play so extensively with

I get most of my BL games on Vassal but would much rather play face to face.

Nice report!
Thanks. I must be lucky having friends with a lot of freetime. Our live sessions are just legendary with all that cursing, whining, howling and roaring. During this last match, even my friend's dog came over from the kitchen to see what's causing the noise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Our live sessions are just legendary with all that cursing, whining, howling and roaring. During this last match, even my friends dog came over from the kitchen to see what's causing the noise.

That's awesome laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan's main Vassal opponent, here A., which adventures did you use for your campaign?

Also, funny to me how your campaign victory totals arced similar to how many games go: Player A drawing first blood, then Player B taking a seemingly commanding lead, followed by Player A mounting a furious comeback that often comes down to the wire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adebisi
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
404 Not Found
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toddrew wrote:
Dan's main Vassal opponent, here :) A., which adventures did you use for your campaign?

Also, funny to me how your campaign victory totals arced similar to how many games go: Player A drawing first blood, then Player B taking a seemingly commanding lead, followed by Player A mounting a furious comeback that often comes down to the wire.
we used the 10 scenarios from the base game. Your comment on the arc of the campaign is also spot on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And as we post yet another game was just played between Todd and I and again:

1-0, 1-4, then ends up 5-6.

Last 4 games we've played have been 6-5.

I like this game a lot and with the great design and continued exciting play BL continues to give, it has become a GREAT game to me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adebisi
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
404 Not Found
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a tight game you've had, yes. Next I want to try EPIC adventures as they have more depth on the battle field.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.