JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings fellow geeks! It's Monday! The weekend is now over, and as we toil at our assorted labors, we should recount our past weekend gaming exploits.

So, all you weekend gamers, bring your mini-session reports and stories of weekend gaming greatness, as you pop in here to answer the question:
What did you play this weekend?

The geeklist version can be found here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/56119/what-did-you-pla...

Check out the subscription thread:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/4115320 Subscribe so you don't miss a single moment of the fun!

As is the tradition, I will start things off with my recap:

This weekend was Origins! It was my first time to a con, as well as my friend that came with me. I had a incredible time! I got in a ton of games.

2010-06-25
Innovation - I love this game, and I'm glad I snagged a copy.
Cosmic Encounter x2
Innovation
Container - First time play this game that has been on my want to play list for a looong time. Awesome awesome game. Need to buy soon.
Fresco - Possibly one of my favorite games of the weekend.

2010-06-26
The Stars Are Right - Interesting puzzle game. I think my wife will like this one.
Innovation
Top Race - Really cool racing game. Had a blast, though it felt short.
Poo: The Card Game
Werewolf x5
The Spoils - Slick CCG, will be buying much much more of it.
Revolution! The Palace - We got a awesome preview of this from one of the SJ guys. As much as we love this game in my group, I will be buying it as soon as it comes out.
Innovation
Sticks & Stones Card Game - Cute little caveman card game. May pick it up for my kids.

2010-06-27
Tichu
Tichu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kito Impsta
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
England didn't play football
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cássio F. Lemos
Brazil
Santa Maria
RS
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Leviathan Tanin'iver Taninsam
mbmbmbmbmb
Drakon (third edition)

World of Warcraft Trading Card Game

The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow

Red November

Arkham Horror
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Paquin
Canada
Val d'Or
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday night : Finca with my girlfriend
Saturday night : Runebound (Second Edition) with some friends, but we didn't had time to finish the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Stingel
Australia
Cairns
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
most of my gaming time this past weekend was spent on Magic: The Gathering Online but we did manage to fit the odd "proper" boardgame in..

Saturday morning: Stone Age with my two sons
Saturday afternoon: Friday the 13th with my wife, daughter and youngest son
Sunday morning: Livingstone. our first time playing this one to completion - the box says 35mins playing time and it took us nearly two hours. I'm not convinced there is enough to it for that kind of time investment but we'll play it a few more times to be sure
Sunday afternoon: Magic: The Gathering (not Online). free-for-all Planechase with my two older kids
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mehlhoff
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite a few games of Metropolys
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr. Jack in New York

2 de Mayo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pipeline a thrift store find for me

Blockhead! and actually really really enjoyed it - here is teh session report http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/538736/as-fun-as-i-remember-...

Citadels - first time playing it, and I bought it I enjoyed it so much

Ca$h 'n Gun$ - I have played this a bit, but this was the first time with the advanced cards - adds a lot to it.

I am visiting family with young kids
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
flakybiscuit
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fri - Got in a game of Railways of the World with the wife. She is unbeaten in our limited amount of 2-player games. It's starting to get annoying. Also taught my kids a few magic tricks.

Sat - Played Mystery Express and Wasabi! for the first time with a local game group I occasionally game with. Both were fun and I intend to get Wasabi! in the near future to add to my family friendly titles.

Sun - Played Chinatown with the kids. It was funny to watch them strike such hard bargins with each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett Warren
United States
Marietta
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My schedule's still wonky, so it was another odd weekend ~ at least there were a number of games in it, but they were all stuffed into Sunday.

We started with Spooky Stairs, as I knew we had to ramp up slowly. My mom is still visiting from the distant realm of New Hampshire, and she has displayed an aversion to games that aren't in the standard list of (much maligned) classics (skipping out entirely on the good classics!)

Five year old Mr. B took the win, with my twelve year old daughter next, then my mom, and finally, in last place, me.

To add to the confusion of the memory aspect of this race game, my daughter helpfully turned the entire board to make it easier for Mr. B to make his moves. This might be a worthwhile practice to add an additional challenge for those who don't find the memory bits to be difficult.

~ ~ ~

Keeping things simple, we moved on to Gulo Gulo, with my eldest son joining us.

The first play went fairly quickly, with my fumbling causing most of the alarm-tipping. My 18 year old son went in for the win. My mom enjoyed the game, and asked that we play it again. This gave her an opportunity to fumble a pickup and reset the works. Mr. B took the win.

~ ~ ~

Up next was Tsuro, again with all five of us.

My daughter assisted Mr. B, somewhat misguiding him to a fairly early end. I believe she went out next. My other son did a bit better, but he finally slipped off the edge of the board, leaving my mom and I, each with one tile.

She placed her final tile and slid out of the game into second place, and I found myself able to, for the first time, play the final tile of the game and remain in play.

Drove my eldest son nuts, which added to the enjoyment! devil

~ ~ ~

Sticking with the theme of connecting lines, this time trying to get to the edge instead of avoiding it, we played a 2 on 2 game of Ta Yü, girls vs. boys, with me and Mr. B against my mom and my daughter.

Early on, the boys were racking up the points, but towards the end, the girls were able to block us better, and too many of our tile choices failed to get us any additional connections, while they slowly, and, mostly, to their own surprise, managed to match our score.

After we had put the board away, I decided to check if there had been some specifics in the rules related to draw conditions, and I discovered we had miscalculated the final score: we added the sides together instead of multiplying them. I have no idea how that would have altered the score, as I don't remember how the 11 points each team received were distributed.

~ ~ ~

After a few hours break, I brought down some 2-player games.

My eldest son and I played a three game series of Qyshinsu: Mystery of the Way, and it looks like whatever advantage I had over him has evaporated, and our skill levels are similar... it's tough to predict which one of us will win.

He ended up winning the series, but I was, at least, able to keep it competitive and turn it into three games with my win for our second play.

This is definitely the kind of game where, win or lose, it's still fun to play.

~ ~ ~

Up next, I challenged my daughter to a game, and she picked Kahuna out of the selection I had brought downstairs.

In my first play of this game, with my eldest son, we had miscalculated the rules in the third and final round, resulting in some confusion and disappointment in how that creates (or, in our misreading of the rules, fails to create) any chance of competition.

Things went much smoother this time around, and the play was surprisingly different.

In the first round, we both failed to control any islands, although we were both close in a number of places.

In the second round, I was able to control two islands and, simultaneously, break my daughter's hold on some islands she would have controlled.

In the third round, my daughter quickly brought two islands under her control, and destroyed my hold on two islands, making me a bit concerned. In my last two hands, I was able to turn that around, grabbing back one of my lost islands and controlling another, while breaking her hold on one of her islands.

Although the game with my son, a few months back, seemed to have been far more aggressive (with almost all islands under control from the first round, if I recall correctly), this game seemed to be much closer, with the struggling much more subtle but just as critical. That variety raises my esteem for the game a bit.

~ ~ ~

The final game of the weekend was Sacred Hill. I had brought this one down because my mom was a fan of celtic knotwork.

We played nearly three games of this, but the second game was declared a mistrial when there was some overeager turn-grabbing going on... to such an extent that we lost track of who moved when. In close to the last turn, my mom wound up taking two moves that easily changed the balance towards her, despite the fact that, at that point, I should have had the advantage (placement-wise, if not in the final score).

Of course, it really didn't matter, because, to my great shame, my mom ~ who declared something about years of sewing experience at one point ~ ended up winning both of the full games we played.

She may not be any good at things like Chess or other abstract strategy games, but she sure grasped how to connect the knots in this one! modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert B
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a fun gaming weekend, with a variety of games and genres:

Race for the Galaxy
Roll Through the Ages (Late Bronze Age variant)
Wings of War (first play, interesting game)
Arkham Horror + Dark Pharo Expansion

With my daughter:
Monopoly Deal X4
Loot X3
Battleship Express
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Singleton
United States
Norcross
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been wanting to get in on this for a while. No time like the present to start.

I had a boardgame meetup on Saturday so that was the only day that I played excluding the Race for the Galaxy AI that I play incessantly.

First played a 2 player game of Dominion with all expansions and promos randomized in. None of the promos actually came out though. Boo. Lost by 5 points. Good game.

Second played a 4 player Puerto Rico. Won by one point on my second time playing ever. I really enjoyed it and learned way more this time than I did during the first play.

Third played a 4 player Macao. Also only my second time ever playing. I came in second with a score of 50-something. The first player had 70-something.

At this point I relocated to my normal gaming haunt where I played a 4 player Chaos in the Old World for the first time. I played Khorn and did not understand at first why no one would just sit there and let me kill them with my knife wielding cultists. We almost lost the game completely as the worst gods in history. Luckily Nurgle beat us all soundly by getting over 50 in the round before we were going to lose and or I was able to finish turning my dials.

Then I went home and played Farmville. Don't you judge me!

Edited to add how many people were in each game - maybe that matters. Also fixed some letters that my keyboard mysteriously left out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anasazi: Boring
Café International: Great game, a classic
Sicilianos: Boring
Emira: Boring
Pinguin-Party: Boring
Toledo: Fun
Trans Europa: Boring
Deus Vult!: Boring

Still have > 20 games to play test, but don't have the time for that. Damnit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Lucato
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got a new puppy in the house so just played Mop Around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett Warren
United States
Marietta
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AndreKada wrote:
Just got a new puppy in the house so just played Mop Around.

I understand that.

As a side effect, now every game turns into "don't ever let the bits fall on the floor, and if they do, get there before the dog does!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Henning
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not much gaming this weekend. Got in only two games.
Ingenious Lost. The winner almost had Ingenous in every catagory. Was two short in Blue. I was a distant second in a four player game.
Acquire I got absolutely throttled in this game. I came in last place in a four player game. Still trying to figure out how the winner did so well as she made a few terrible mistakes IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Wise men say, forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good gaming weekend for simpler games, not so much for weightier ones.

Friday:
Pirate's Cove - Lost spectacularly (lost 6 fights...not much I could do to come back)
BANG! - Won the first game easily as Sheriff. I almost won the second game as the Renegade. I totally had the Sheriff convinced I was a deputy until the 2nd Renegade screwed me over by killing the real Deputy.
Blokus - My mom's new favorite.

Saturday:
Pandemic - Three games. Lost the first 2 to outbreaks on normal because we started both games with 3 cubes on adjacent cities in Yellow Africa and Black Asia. We won the third.
Sequence - Two games with my mom. My dad refused to play (like usual).

Sunday:
Farkel - Large group. We played this. 100% pure luck, but funny to watch. We had a good group.
Catch Phrase! - Best of three. We lost the last two games. It was hard sitting next to a Russian who's still learning English. She did well though, since it buzzed on me a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taoist, Pittsburgh Sports fan, and welcoming to people who are kind, from any walk of life.
badge
I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, Candy Land, Chuttes and Ladders, Go Fish, & the Apple ii. Supporting "the Geek" since 2006
mbmbmbmbmb
Pickomino
D&D 4th Ed.
Pandemic x2
Attribut
Settlers of Catan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gregoriou
United States
West Bend
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wife and I played a game of Sequence and Even Elephants Forget.

I know Even Elephants forget is a weird pick but I just broke out my old board games from when I was a kid. The Dark Crystal Game, Wicket The Ewok, Survive! and Dark Shadows are all on deck. LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I happily went 0-9 in 4-player 6 Nimmt! over a 10-pack of Sam's Lager and a $26 bottle of Jaegermeister...games started at 8 and I arrived home at about 3:30 AM.

Sunday I didn't feel so good...gulp

Technical note: I only caused end-game once the entire night, but could not avoid that killer hand, so I never won...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunday afternoon was spent playing Arkham Horror + Arkham Horror: Curse of the Dark Pharaoh Expansion with 2 others. The three of us were able to save Arkham from Shub-Niggurath and his minions.

The three days prior to that were spent playing a fun game called "Paint the House", which my wife clearly won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This weekend was a three-day weekend for me at a friend's cottage (YAY!). There were 10 of us, and I brought most of my games. And, as usual, I played games Sunday night with a games group. The following list is both the cottage and group games combined. It was a fantastic weekend!

Tsuro
Medici
Shadow Hunters
El Grande
Pandemic X4
Poker X2
Pirate's Cove
It's Alive!
The Red Dragon Inn 2 X2
The Hanging Gardens
Mad Gab
Things... X2 (we had so much fun, we were launghing until we were crying!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Island 4-player x2
Carcassonne 6-player
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus Ryan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played three games of Dominion, which is something because my wife just found out she likes it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Herrera
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic weekend - just about played games everday and this is my first post on the WDYPTW using my newly aquired avatar.

Thursday:
Memoir'44 BreakThrough

Friday:
Memoir'44 BreakThrough
Beowulf the Legend
Age of Mythology

Saturday
Memoir'44 BreakThrough
Talisman
Beowulf the Legend

Sunday
Beowulf the Legend

Fun weekend playing with friends and family and wife- Next weekend we will visite my brother in law and sister in San Luis Obispo for the 4th of July weekend (also my sis's birthday) and looking forward to some more great gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.