GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,810 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Dixit» Forums » General

Subject: How is the 4 player game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike G
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The SdJ win reminded me that I own this game but have yet to play it. With a couple of friends coming to town next weekend I figured I'd remedy that.

There'll be 4 of us. I've seen this variant that involves adding a random card to the mix. Does the 4 player game require this to work well? Or is it okay as is? I'd like to hear some opinions, please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game works great with 4 players . So i see no reason to add a random card.
With 3 players, its quite common, all players guess right. But i´m not sure if somebody will coose the randome card, as it usually will not fit the hint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Haydel
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'd agree with Markus here.

My first game was a 4 player game with my girlfriend and my parents, and I thought it worked just fine.

I have not played it any other times, so I can't speak to how it would compare to playing it with more people (I do suspect that more is probably better), but I would say that while 4 may not be the optimal number, I don't think it requires any deviation from the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel that the 4-player game really felt lacking compared to a full player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike G
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Trump wrote:
I feel that the 4-player game really felt lacking compared to a full player game.

Do you think this would still be the case for people who have never played before?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I've played it with 3, 4, 5, and 6 by the official rules and enjoyed it fine by the official rules in all cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With three players, my kids and I switch to choosing two cards each for the non-storytellers, and that seemed to work pretty well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
falluper wrote:
Trump wrote:

Do you think this would still be the case for people who have never played before?

Actually, the fewer the people you have, the WORSE it will be with new players. It takes a certain skill to give a decent clue that COULD apply to many different pictures but really only applies to yours. It's not hard to learn by any means, but you need a little experience to get a feeling for it. Consider that sometimes there'll be a clue given and you don't have a good card to play for it so you just toss one out there. It only stands to reason that with more players you'll have more credible cards to pick from. With four players, it just seemed to often be the case that there weren't any other realistic choices except for the correct one. OK, so maybe better clues need to be crafted. Even then, I'd rarely see two red herrings and never three.

The game's not totally hopeless with 4. And you have to play the game to get a feel for it no matter how many players you're playing with. I'm just saying that I find the game much more entertaining with more players... which is kind of what the idea of a party game is, eh?

Oh, and about having a credible card to toss out there... this is where Dixit demolishes Apples to Apples.. I seem to ALWAYS have nothing decent to play in Apples. I feel I'm able to make a decent play far more often in Dixit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike G
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thanks for all the input. I'm hopeful that the four of us will be creative enough to make it work. But I'll be prepared for it to be lacking just in case!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played with 4 several times and it was fine with no changes. 5 or 6 is slightly better, but not by a huge margin IMO. I haven't played with 3, but I suspect some modifications would be helpful at that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten Delforge
Belgium
Kapellen, Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmb
A 5-player game is much better, imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike G
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Here's my update. We went ahead and played with 4 and it was absolutely fine. Could definitely see how it would be better with more, but everyone really enjoyed it.

A few days later my mother came to town and she, my sweetheart, and I played the official 3 player variant. Thought somewhat lacking it was still very fun, and my mother loved it.

Still can't wait to try with 5 or 6, though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.