Will M
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This follows an attempt of a new-ish (4 games, 2 of which survived early war) player to teach new players Twilight Struggle, and a few issues we came across.

I'm going by the wording in the Card Manifest in the files section as I don't have my game nearby.

1a) Missle Envy says: Exchange this card for your opponent's highest value Operations card in his hand. If two or more cards are tied, opponent chooses. If the exchanged card contains your event, or an event applicable to both players, it occurs immediately. If it contains opponent's event, use Operations value without triggering event Opponent must use this card for Operations during his next action round.

The card received by the US player after he played Missle Envy was Wargames, which states: Wargames - If DEFCON Status 2, you may immediately end the game after giving opponent 6 VPs. How about a nice game of chess?
DEFCON was 3, but since Wargames is an event applicable to both players, how does the rest of the US turn play out?

1b) If the above situation had occurred while DEFCON was 2 and the US player had less than 6 VPs, does the wording "you may immediately end the game" mean that he could choose not to end the game, even though the card was played for the event? If he has the choice and chose not to end the game, does Wargames get thrown out or just discarded?

2) Grain Sales to Soviets states: Randomly choose one card from USSR hand. Play it or return it. If returned, use this card to conduct Operations normally.
The US player played this card as an event and pulled UN Intervention which states: Play this card simultaneously with another card that has your opponent's associated event. The event is canceled, but you may use its Operations value normally. The canceled event card returns to the discard pile.
Can the US player now play a USSR event from his hand along with the UN Intervention card he just obtained? The FAQ clears up a similar issue in which the UN Intervention card in the US players hand may be played along with a USSR event drawn from the USSR players hand, but in my question the order of cards is reversed.

3) What happens to Shuttle Diplomacy during the final scoring? It states: Play in front of US player. During the next scoring of the Middle East or Asia (whichever comes first), subtract one Battleground country from USSR total, then put this card in the discard pile.

The FAQ ended up answering this one for me, saying that Shuttle Diplomacy doesn't count during final scoring, but I wanted to post this question for comments anyway.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
1. It seems that the event wouldn't trigger and that would be the end of it. It would be akin to me, as the Russians, giving NATO and neither Marshall Plan or Warsaw Pact being in effect, so nothing would happen.

1b. Correct, you *may* choose to end the game, but it's not required. And if I'd just given 6VP away and was now in the red, I would definitely not end the game.

2. You get to play UN, but you don't get to pluck a card from your hand to bundle with it.

3. Shuttle Diplomacy ends before Final Scoring happens (darn it!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
1b. Correct, you *may* choose to end the game, but it's not required. And if I'd just given 6VP away and was now in the red, I would definitely not end the game.

The way I read that, you don't have to give up 6 VP unless you want to end the game. You can choose to do neither.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
TwentySides wrote:
leroy43 wrote:

The way I read that, you don't have to give up 6 VP unless you want to end the game. You can choose to do neither.

I could see that too. In almost 200 games, it's never come up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valery Prikhodko
Belarus
Gomel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. If DEFCON 3+ nothing happens. If DEFCON = 2 you DECIDE. You MAY end the game and you MAY NOT. In both cases WARGAMES has been played as event and should be removed from the game.

2. NO. You should play UN Intervention or return it and play Grain Sales to Soviets for OPs.

3. Shuttle Diplomacy doesn't affect final scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would UN intervention not allow you to play an enemy card from your hand? That's what the text says. When you play UN intervention you also get to play an enemy event card simultaneously from your hand. That's the entire "thing" that the card does. There shouldn't be a situation where it is played and cannot be used in this way. Hell it can even be used in the headline phase based upon the text in the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Robinson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legion of DOOM wrote:
1. If DEFCON 3+ nothing happens. If DEFCON = 2 you DECIDE. You MAY end the game and you MAY NOT. In both cases WARGAMES has been played as event and should be removed from the game.

At DEFCON 3, nothing happens, because Wargames has not been triggered. If Missile Envy pulls the card at DEFCON 3+, it goes in the discard pile, and is not removed from the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
New York City
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bridger wrote:
Hell it can even be used in the headline phase based upon the text in the card.

If you're suggesting that you can play UN Intervention + another card as your headline, then that is incorrect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valery Prikhodko
Belarus
Gomel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
taulus wrote:

At DEFCON 3, nothing happens, because Wargames has not been triggered. If Missile Envy pulls the card at DEFCON 3+, it goes in the discard pile, and is not removed from the game.

You wrong.

Wargame playable at any DEFCON status. But it's has no effect till DEFCON=2 and you decide implement it. Wording: " If DEFCON Status 2," is not prerequisite to play this card as an event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theory wrote:
Bridger wrote:

If you're suggesting that you can play UN Intervention + another card asy our headline, then that is incorrect.

Unless they drastically changed the English language recently, I am not. Is there a piece of Errata on this card that I am missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
New York City
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bridger wrote:
theory wrote:
Bridger wrote:

If you're suggesting that you can play UN Intervention + another card asy our headline, then that is incorrect.

Unless they drastically changed the English language recently, I am not. Is there a piece of Errata on this card that I am missing?

In every edition after the First Edition, the card's text includes the following line:

"May not be played during the headline phase."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Robinson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legion of DOOM wrote:
taulus wrote:

You wrong.

Wargame playable at any DEFCON status. But it's has no effect till DEFCON=2 and you decide implement it. Wording: " If DEFCON Status 2," is not prerequisite to play this card as an event.

No, I am not wrong. From the rules, section 5.2:

"...If a card play triggers an opponent’s Event, but that Event
cannot occur because a prerequisite card has not been played,
or a condition expressed in the Event has not been met, the
Event does not occur. In this instance, cards with an asterisk
Event (marked *) are returned to the discard pile, not removed
from the game."

At defcon 3, the conditions for the Wargames event have not been met, so if triggered then, nothing happens, and it goes in the discard pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ah well, I misremembered that part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.