Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Say 2 Nazguls and the WK are in the target region--how many dice are rolled, 2 or 3?

The card says (see below for full text) "roll a die for each Nazgul" so that suggests 3 since the WK is a Nazgul. But then it also says "WK is not affected by this card" So does that mean he is not counted in determining how many dice you roll (so then you'd roll 2), or that he just can't be killed or chased away?

I thought, and am still thinking, it's only 2 because of the "WK not affected" bit. But my opponent suggested that you could still roll a die for him (giving you an extra chance to roll a 5+), and the WK still wouldn't be affected if he wasn't a casualty or chased away. Furthermore, the bit about the WK comes AFTER the part about the dispersal which might suggest that the WK wouldn't be dispersed but not about the number of dice rolled.

As such, I was unable to give him a satisfactory reason as I didn't see it in the FAQ and a search of the CE rules for "eagles" didn't give any result. I tabbed through the bgg rules questions but only found question referring to chasing the nazguls away to one, single stronghold.

The Eagles are Coming (C)
Play if a Free Peoples Army containing a
Companion is adjacent to, or is in the
same region as, a Shadow Army
containing a Nazgûl.
Roll a die for each Nazgûl present (up to
a maximum of five dice) and eliminate a
Nazgûl for each roll of 5+. All surviving
Nazgûl must immediately be moved to
any one Sauron Stronghold controlled by
the Shadow player. The Witch-king is not
affected by this card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the W-K is differentiated from the general Nazgûl in the card text he does not count as a Nazgûl in any way (including when determining how many dice the FP player should roll).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Veldrin wrote:
Since the W-K is differentiated from the general Nazgûl in the card text he does not count as a Nazgûl in any way (including when determining how many dice the FP player should roll).

Thanks. That's what I thought but my answer to him wasn't very convincing (and I do think the wording is a bit unclear). I'm glad I've been playing it correctly and there wasn't any asterisk on this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.