Subject: Dixit with a 9-year old - First game, 3 players. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After over a month from the purchase date, we finally cracked open our copy of Dixit. After explaining the rules, my 9-year old daughter started as the storyteller. She gave an exact clue and both my husband and I guessed her card. So, we both got points and she did not. We followed the 3-player variant in the rulebook that calls for having a hand of 7 cards instead of 6, with the non-storytellers contributing 2 cards for the voting phase instead of just one. It works pretty well, but I can see how the game would be much better and more difficult with more players.

BGG Image courtesy of user Abruk

On my husband’s turn as the storyteller, I guessed correctly and my daughter did not; so my husband and I both scored again. On my first turn as the storyteller, I tried to make my clue a bit obscure but related in some way. Both of them guessed my card and my daughter finally got some points on the board.

Now at this point—I had been begging to get this to the table for over a month—we could have stopped as they had agreed to try just one round to see if they liked the game. My daughter immediately said: “Let’s keep playing.” So we did. In one round, my husband asked “what is this?” when he was looking at one of the cards on the table—thereby making it obvious that it wasn’t one of his cards! He quickly learned not to do that again!

On her subsequent turns as storyteller, my daughter continued to give obvious clues, but was enjoying herself nonetheless. One of the times, I chose a less obvious card on purpose so that she wouldn’t always lose points when she played the storyteller. It was interesting to see that both my husband and daughter’s clues were very long sentences, while I usually chose one word clues or very short phrases or even proper names! It is fascinating to see how we all have different thought processes and this game lets you explore your own and see how it compares to those of other players.

BGG image courtesy of user ueik

As the game progressed, I was having trouble coming up with good clues whenever it was my turn. I think it is fun when there are a lot of cards that match the clue because it really becomes more of a challenge. On my last storyteller turn, I gave a very broad abstract clue: “Impossible” which led to some interesting results! My husband said, “all of these are ‘impossible’!” Of course he was right, but I wanted to see what would happen. Only my daughter guessed my card for both of us to get the 3 points each!

On my daughter’s last turn as the storyteller, I was very proud of her as she finally gave more of an obscure clue. My husband guessed it, but I wasn’t even close!! She gave the clue: “I can’t go anywhere by myself.” The card was of the marionette (far left). She later explained: “The puppet can’t go anywhere without someone making it move!” Awesome!!!!!!!

BGG image courtesy of user magnitt

After leading the entire game, I lost on that final hand to my husband who beat me by two points. I guess I shouldn’t have purposely guessed wrong earlier? This was everyone’s first time playing and they both said they really liked it. I was happy to see my daughter’s progress and interest. This is a very different type of game and an enjoyable experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am eagerly awaiting my copy of Dixit and Dixit 2 in the post!

I plan on playing with my family, as well. I have a 9 1/2 year old daughter and an 8 year old son. My wife and I think this one will go over equally well with the kids, as with friends and cocktails, hehe!

Great session report; thanks for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - Water from an Ancient Well
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
After leading the entire game, I lost on that final hand to my husband who beat me by two points. I guess I shouldn’t have purposely guessed wrong earlier?

You absolutely should have. Doing so helped you win more than the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:
After leading the entire game, I lost on that final hand to my husband who beat me by two points. I guess I shouldn’t have purposely guessed wrong earlier?

You absolutely should have. Doing so helped you win more than the game.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Diaz
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got this about a week ago and have yet to try it on my friends. I've played it before and loved it. I hope to try it out tomorrow. Glad your family enjoyed it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Boone
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this last night with my daughters, 16yrs and 9yrs. They both liked it and my nine year old really liked it. She wanted to play it again this morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jwboone wrote:
I played this last night with my daughters, 16yrs and 9yrs. They both liked it and my nine year old really liked it. She wanted to play it again this morning.

I can't wait to play again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dann May
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hi! Pleased to meet you.
mbmbmbmbmb
My son Nick is 4. Last night he played Dixit with us.

On one turn my mum's story/clue was "The big apple".

After we'd all played our cards and made our guesses
we asked Nick which card was his. He pointed at a card
with a deer head on a plaque with a cat in a basket
lying under it. When we asked him why he chose that
card he said,"The cat has a magic wand hidden in its
basket and it just about to turn the deer into a giant apple."

Can't argue with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.