Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: WotR miniatures paint wash rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Nelson
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've referenced many of the painting articles written here regarding War of the Ring miniatures including Daniel Karp's recent journal series. However, I'm seeking advice specifically about doing a diluted paint wash on the pieces similar to what's seen in this pic...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/58099

I would also want to paint pen the bases as many other here have to match the nation borders.

Unlike the picture above, I'm thinking I would just use black and/or possibly brown alone for the wash as I really like the way the dwarfs and SP pieces look, but not so much the FP's with highlights in white , orange, yellow, etc. The details and "shadows" that it brings out look good and it would save tons of time over doing a full paint job. Beside, for me I'm worried about doing a full paint job making the "field of battle" a little too busy for actually playing the game. It's nice to be able to see the two sides in broad swaths of color.

I might consider painting the Nazgul black (as I think that looks really cool in some of the other pictures here), but they might also look good and ghostly with a black wash. Also, the Fellowship/Companions might someday get a full paint job.

Anyway, any advice on getting a good wash? Proportion? Half paint, half water? What kind of paint might be best for this; real miniatures paint from Games Workshop or something more affordable? I imagine it might be better to get good paint if I'm just going to be using black and/or maybe brown, but then again if it's just for a wash why spend all that money.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd steer clear of brown. My experiences with brown in washes have been that the paint separates into multiple colors when I wash with it. I'd use black, and you can go cheap (Apple Barrel, Delta) with it. Use something on the order of a 10:1 wateraint ratio, and add a little drop of Future Floor wax or, some very thinned out dish soap. That will break the surface tension of the water, and help the paint seep down into the crevices of the mini. Apply liberally, and once it's dried (give it a day), you can buff the mini with a piece of felt to make sure the color of the plastic really stands out on the highlights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. B. M.
United States
Fairborn
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had a different experience with brown washes than the previous poster, as all my brown wash experiences have been good - whether making a wash from paint or using a purchased wash (sometimes called an ink).

Games Workshop does make washes, but I sometimes find them too runny (they don't always stay put, but usually they work well).

I'd recommend testing out various ratios for the washes as YMMV with different brands and whatnot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inks and washes are quite different beasts. Inks are a good bit "stickier" then washes, and have a stonger tendency to stay on top of the figure as well as sinking into the folds. Yes, you can wash with an ink, but the real beauty of using them comes in when using them as a tinted overlay for a color, i.e. inking a flesh tone over a tattoo on a figure to give it the illusion of being a part of the skin, or inking a face of a figure seated in front of a CRT screen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.