Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: 2004 : My gaming year in review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sheridan Hortness
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have decided to start a new tradition with my geek journal. At the end of every year I will write a up a brief review of how my gaming hobby evolved over the previous 12 months. Someday it might be fun to go back and read them again. So with out further delay, here is 2004 in review ...

January
- I went into January armed with a bunch of new games that I had received for christmas and my birthday (which is in January). I was pleasantly surprised to receive an unprecedented four new games : Cities and Knights of Catan, Carcassone, Age of Mythology and Formula De. In each of the previous three years I had received only one new game for christmas. I guess my family has clued into how much I enjoy this hobby. I also had high hopes for 2004 because over the previous year I had successfully brought several friends into gaming with Settlers of Catan. I was looking forward to lots of table time and the chance to introduce them to more new games.

February
- In februray I negotiated my first ever trade on the geek. Since the previous summer I had been looking at my collection and decided that it contained too many war games. Most of my friends are not willing to spend more than a couple of hours on a game so many of the bigger games had been sitting dormant for months or even years. I decided that I would rather have a collection of shorter games that actually get played. Thus I decided to trade my copy of Napoleon In Europe for a copy of Merchants of Amsterdam. This was by no means a fair trade (what I gave was worth much more than what I got) but I was happy that the trade went off with no hitches. Besides, I gotten NIE for free and the likelyhood of it being played was about zero due to the length. Hopefully it will get some table time with its new owner.

March
- I'm a big fan of the New Avalon Hill so I got caught up in the excitement surrounding Axis and Allies Revised. I ended up not buying the game (although I might get it eventually) but it was still fun to read about the changes and see all the excitement that it generated. In the end I was turned off by the complaints about the lack of playing peieces included with the game. I have since decided that the complaints were over blown, but my attention had already drifted to other things.
- l also had my first go at playing War Hammer in March. I have a friend who collects minatures and he was thrilled when we asked to give it a try. It was fun, but I would never get into minatures because of the high cost in both time and money. I will be content to play with other people's minatures.

April - July
- Since the previous fall I had been meeting every three weeks or so to play games with some friends. Most of them were not hobby gamers. We mostly played lighter games that were quick to learn and could be played in one evening. Some of the games that we played this year were Munchkin, Robo Rally, Risk 2210, Formula De and Frag. In the spring it started to become difficult to get people organized and sessions started to get spread out. We decided in June to take the summer off.

August
- In August I took another hard look at my collection and decided that there were some more games that needed to go. I posted a journal entry on the geek about three games that I wanted to trade and I got a great response. Within a week I had managed to trade Diplomacy for Mystery at the Abbey, and Enemy On the Horizon (plus some cash) for Risk Godstorm. I was very pleased with these trades because in both cases I gave up a game that had never been played (and probably never would be) for a game that will be appealing to a larger group of people. I was not able to find a trade for Sid Meir's Civilization. Its still available if anyone is interested.
- My brother came up for a rare weekend vist in August so he, my father and I played a game of King Maker. We need to convince more people to play with us because three player games tend to become predictable.

September
- It was fall, so I decided to get some games organized again. I contacted the old game group, but people were still in a summer mood and it was hard to get everyone to commit to a date. I decided to try meeting some other hobby gamers in my area and managed to find a geek who lived near where I work (hillman). We met and played a couple of games on lunch hours. It was fun to meet another person who likes games as much as I do. He has a much bigger collection than me We talked about maybe starting a club in the area. Surely there must be other people in our city of 50,000 who would be interested in a games club. So one day I posted a journal entry on the geek asking if there were any other geeks in the Kanata area who would be interested in forming a club. By the end of the day I had four responses and the ball was rolling. We decided to have our first meeting at the end of September.

- So it was that Kanata Board Gamers came into existence. We decided to meet every two weeks at the Zavida Coffee House in the Kanata Centrum. One of the members (walk_softly) arranged for us to get a 10% discount at the local game store Fandom II. In order to get the discount we had to charge annual dues and issue membership cards. We settled on $5 a year as the fee and all proceeds would be used to buy prizes for occasional tournaments. Fandom was willing to give a 20% discount on any products that would be used as prizes. Our first session had seven people so we were able to run two tables. Right off the bat I got to try a new game (Cape Horn) and then we played the old standby Carcassone. The other table played Anno 1503 (I think thats what its called). I was very excited at the prospect of playing games on a regular basis instead of in the haphazard, whenever people are avialable, way that I played before.

October
- At the first october session I played Risk Godstorm and it was lots of fun. I like war games and it was great to play with other people who like them too (as opposed to begging my friends to play). For the second session we decided to do a Halloween theme and played Betrayal At House On The Hill. We had ten people for that session so we ran two tables. After that session I put Betrayal on my christmas list.
- Thanksgiving was also a great time for games. I was able to play Formula De and History of the World with family members and everyone seemed to have fun. This has encouraged me to bring games to more family gatherings.

November
- In November the attendance at KBG sessions dropped and I was worried that people were losing interest in the club. Both sessions had the same four attendees (out of 9 members). However, I have since decided that it was simply a busy time and there was no need to panic. At one session I was able to try out Peurto Rico for the first time (its on the christmas list) and we played Formula De at the other session. I won a thrilling come from behind victory so that was fun.

December
- We had originally planned to have two sessions in december. The first would be a normal session and the second would be a Settlers of Catan tournament with prizes. However, there was a weather warning for the night of first session (freezing rain) and I figured that attendance would likely be low. Besides, it wasan't worth asking people to brave the hazzardous roads for a board game. Instead I opted to cancel the first session and move the tournament up one week. This turned out to be a good idea because several people said that they would not have been able to make the original date for the tournament, but would now be able to attend. I learned a lesson from this. December is a very busy month so next year I will plan the tournament in the first two weeks of the month.

- On December 14th we held our Settlers of Catan tournament. We had a 11 attendees (a new record) and were able to run three tables for the first round. The winners advanced to the finals and got a Spanish Main game pack. The last spot in the finals was decided using a draw of all people who did not win. My wife and I both managed to win our way into the finals. We had agreed in advance that if by some fluke this happened we would be careful not to help each other out because that would be cheating. I even robbed her a few times when she was winning In the end my wife lost a very close game to Jay Quirk. Jay became our first ever champion and received a brand new copy of Russian Rails from Mayfair Games. He has agreed to bring it out for the first session in January.

- The christmas holidays are still ahead and I plan to get some gaming time in. One of the guys from KBG (J.S) has been wanting to play a game of A&A Revised so we are going to get together some time next week for a full afternoon and duke it out. I also intend to bring Merchants of Amsterdam and Settlers to our christmas day at the inlaws.

So that was my year in gaming 2004. The highlight was obviously the forming of Kanata Board Gamers. Its a thrill to play with other people who love the hobby as much as I do. Hopefully the club will last for years to come. I can tell that there are a couple of games under the tree again this year Keep e'm coming ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boo
Canada
Kanata
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to you - a great year was had by many!
Sheridan,

I am glad to hear that you had such a great year game wise. You forgot to add that your wife had a baby, bringing another gamer into existence is also an accomplishment!

KBG has been the highlight of my gaming year as well and I was sad that I had to miss a couple of sessions. It was during a club meeting that I finally got to break out my copy of T&E and had a fantastic game with Jay, JS, and Christopher. With a couple more plays it could easily become my favourite game.

Thank-you for all the work you put in to setting up the club, there are some really great gamers that have joined and it is always fun to come out and play!

See you in the new year!
PS - I heard what you got for Christmas cool
Jennifer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
A nice story.

As much as we all like to daydream about turning our family and friends into little boardgame freaks, the fact is that if you want to get any serious gaming done you have to go find yourself some gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheridan Hortness
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The only game Rowen is interested in right now is the "throw my toys on the floor and make daddy pick them up" game. We're trying to teach her that this is not a fun game for us laugh

To be truthful though, I have been looking at games that would be fun for kids already. Its too early to be buying them, but I have a few in mind to pick up eventually. I would be thrilled if she eventually gets into gaming, but who knows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm
This is a great idea! If I can remember that far back, I'll give it a whirl, too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Outstanding Sheridan!

Let's see, I played Colossal Arena yesterday, and Basari. There were a couple others, but I don't remember now. Oh yeah, High society. No, wait, that was Sunday. I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's quite a journal. Very interesting. Look forward to more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheridan Hortness
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The fact that I can remember most of the sessions I had in past year shows that I didn't play enough games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.