GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,500 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

War of the Ring (First Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Sauron rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh S.
United States
Newark
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always was curious as to what would happen if Sauron were to regain the One Ring, and it always seems to translate into "lots of bad stuff will happen." So, i have an idea for a Sauron hero scenario

the game starts with the same setup. read full rules for changes before and after Sauron comes into play (if he does, of course)
Sauron, Dark Lord of Mordor sauron
level-inf.
leadership-4
If the Ringbearer's corruption reaches 12, then immediately eliminate the fellowship and all remaining members, and place Sauron in one shadow army on the board. Sauron must always be with a shadow army. Place all nations to the "At War" position, and the maximum hand size is increased to 8 cards for both players.

"The One Ring" the shadow player adds one to all dice on his combat roll and leadership re-roll in battles involving Sauron.

"Grand Evil of Middle-Earth" All Eye dice are considered to be Will of the West die equivalents for the SP

"The Dark Lord is Vanquished" If Sauron is destroyed, or if two Mordor Strongholds are taken by the FP player, then the game ends in a FP victory

FP modifications- "Conscription"- Add 3 elite units and 5 regular units to the reinforcement pool for all FP nations once Sauron enters play. if there aren't enough units in the casualties pile, then add as many units as possible and, if the FP player wishes, they may take units from the board and place them to the Reinforcement pile (but no more then 5 regulars and 3 elites may be added.) Nations with all of their settlements captured do not benefit from "conscription" until at least one of their settlements are re-taken.

"Grand Alliance of the Third Age" Once Sauron enters play, the FP player may use a muster/army dice to muster a unit in any friendly settlement, regardless of the nation they belong to

If the FP conquers 4 victory points, subtract one from any hunt tile drawn (to a minimum of zero. no -1 corruption if a zero is drawn). If the Fellowship is in Mordor, subtract two from any hunt tile drawn.

SP modifications- The SP must conquer all enemy strongholds to win, but after 9 victory points have been attained, add 1 to all dice on the hunt roll for each excess victory point, or if the fellowship is in Mordor, all reveal icons on hunt tiles also have the "stop icon" effect, which can't be canceled through Gollum's ability.

remember: All FP strongholds must be taken for the SP to win. and the FP win through the Ring victory or by killing Sauron.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Allen
United States
Chicago
IL - Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems cool definitely, but what's the point of the Hunt tiles then? If the Fellowship has 12 corruption and Sauron has the ring, where are they going? Why move them at all? And what's the big deal in getting more corruption?

Also, can the FP win at all? Or just hope for a draw?

But definitely cool idea so far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
sockhands wrote:
Seems cool definitely, but what's the point of the Hunt tiles then? If the Fellowship has 12 corruption and Sauron has the ring, where are they going? Why move them at all? And what's the big deal in getting more corruption?

Also, can the FP win at all? Or just hope for a draw?

But definitely cool idea so far!

Fellowship is eliminated I think. At this point, FP can only get a military victory. Probably pretty unlikely, but if Sauron had been going hard at the ring bearer, he might have left himself open somewhere for the FP to swoop in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh S.
United States
Newark
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sorry sockhands, i probably should have clarified. The whole victory points effect on hunt tiles is to reflect that if Sauron takes over enough of Middle Earth, his hunt is much easier, and the opposite happens if the FP takes out enough of the Shadow armies. So, basically, it gives the players a reason to actually do something militarily, and gives a point to combat and military. These rules apply even if Sauron is not in play, and are applied only if the player's want to play with these rules.

The FP player can force a draw by taking 2 Sauron strongholds or destroying Sauron. His vengeance and anger drives him to take yet another shot at middle Earth, representing a draw, since everything is back to where it started at the beginning of the war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. Very cool idea.

So in order for the FP to win, they must destroy the ring. The FP getting 4 VPs is not a win, but only reduces hunt damage. If the FSP is corrupted (12+), then the FP must kill the new Sauron minion to get a draw. In order for the SP to win, they must conquer everything and not let the FSP dunk the ring or have Sauron die.

Is that right?

Having to kill everything would definitely change SP tactics as alot of times I can win with 10 VPs, but if the game would go on another turn, I'm quite sure I would lose some of those VPs! Furthermore, the SP can definitely not conquer everything before the FSP has a shot as destroying the ring. Thus I think the SP would have to focus on corrupting the FSP, while slowly eliminating each nation. As the FP, it seems like you'd slowly move the FSP to make sure that corruption stayed low. There would be alot of killing, especially with the new FP reinforcements and the ability to raise troops in foreign nations. This will definitely more than double the length of the game (not a bad thing).

I think the Event Decks will run out and card-hand management will become very problematic. Perhaps no longer having to discard would help (ie, no more 6 card limit).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh S.
United States
Newark
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
right. If the Fellowship is completely corrupted, the best that the FP can hop for is a draw. If Sauron has returned, they can't win. That is supported in the books, the only way they can hope to win the war completely is if the ring is destroyed. The FP can only win through Ring Victory. And yes, Dave 65tdh the military stuff helps the fellowship destroy the Ring and the SP re-obtain it. So, now that i think about it, i'll make it so Sauron has to be with an army at all times, and his level is infinite, to prevent the shadow player from keeping Sauron out of armies to prevent the draw. Also, i'll make the max hand size 8 cards once Sauron enters play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how much time I'd want to spend playing as the FP if all I had hope for was a draw, and my opponent was basically just marching a big orc army around the board for another hour.

Better to just set the game up again!

But couldn't killing sauron be a win?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh S.
United States
Newark
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that i think about it, Saurins death should be a FP victory. i will change it to such laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Smith
United States
Bel Air
MD - Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So the game length goes from 3 hours to what, 4 or 5?!

I appreciate the idea, and the "what if" factor, but I think I'll stick with the original victory conditions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh S.
United States
Newark
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jbbnbsmith wrote:
So the game length goes from 3 hours to what, 4 or 5?!

I appreciate the idea, and the "what if" factor, but I think I'll stick with the original victory conditions.

I understand the concern, but in my case, since i play almost exclusively with my dad (unfortunately) i can leave the game set up, and we can return to it at any other time we want. So the way i see it, if one side has won, and it wasn't a FP Ring victory, then rather than put the game away only to take it out and play again in a few days, why not leave it as is and continue playing with these rules, so that way you have some new flavor and you can return to it at another time in the near future. I can understand people might want to play something else as a "refresher" from this already long game, but i know that this comes out more than any other game in my house, and I sort of like the idea.

Although I will admit that I'm a bit biased, since i don't have very many other games that i really love (if any, really.) Honestly, 2-player LNoE can get old after a while, and my friends really aren't into board games. Most importantly, my other games just don't appeal to me as much. I don't have as much of a selection as Hardcore Boardgamers do laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.