Subject: Opinion wanted: playing with 2 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
I'd like some feedback on whether the wife and I should go for the 2-player rules as given in the game's rulebook, or simply play the 4-player game and control two monks each. Which would you recommend, and why? We are new at this game, but both fairly boardgame-savvy.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
You'll have to try both and choose your own favourite way.

I prefer using 2 monks each: no extra rule, no extra emphasis on which tile randomly ends in the central spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd try it with the 2-player rules first, but once you've got a firm grasp you should experiment with both to see which you prefer. The difference isn't huge, and I don't think there's any consensus as to which is better. More a matter of taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try the rules as written first as it's also easier to learn the game with less bookkeeping. I also think the game might be easier (you can use the powers of the two unused monks on your turn by spending a special token). Then see which one you enjoy best... I personally enjoy it with just 2 monks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
I'll alter the question if I may....which method are we likely to win our early, noob games with? I can see her losing interest if this game crushes us as readily as I've read it can. However, on the other hand, I am fed up winning Forbidden Island.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Apart going for easieast difficulty level, hoping for some good rolls and trying to understand WHY you are losing the first couple of games... there's not much you can do (P.S. if you go for just one monk each, pick Blue and either Green or Yellow).
You could try a super-easy difficulty with 5 starting Qi, but that's unlikely to "teach" you how to play the game well in the long run (and always using super-easy will quickly become boring).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryB wrote:
I'll alter the question if I may....which method are we likely to win our early, noob games with? I can see her losing interest if this game crushes us as readily as I've read it can. However, on the other hand, I am fed up winning Forbidden Island.

We played the two-player rules as written, and we started at the easiest difficulty level, whatever that was. It was the optional rules listed as making the game even easier. It got us started pretty well, and our first win appeared, I think, on our third game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play with 4 monks first, definatly. It's a lot easier for winning, and also eliminates some confusing elements (like power tokens and inactive boards). When you get a grasp on the game, try only two monks for an extra challange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gawain wrote:
Play with 4 monks first, definatly. It's a lot easier for winning, and also eliminates some confusing elements (like power tokens and inactive boards). When you get a grasp on the game, try only two monks for an extra challange.

Do you really think the game is harder with 2 monks? I think it's the other way around In my experience the power tokens make a huge difference. Basically you're taking advantage of all 4 powers but you're only getting 2 ghosts per round and still have 4 boards to place them in...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you also only get two actions per round

I've only played solo, both with four monks and with the solo rules, never with two players. I found them both pretty much equally hard (which is, pretty hard indeed), if anything, the solo rules were slightly easier on my poor monk fellow.

Try both and decide which one you like better And prepare for some crushings anyway, having to find out how to beat the game (and then still not succeeding every time) is part of what makes it so great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
Well, you also only get two actions per round

True But you can use two powers on one turn, and if the middle tile is useful (not always the case, I know) then you can recharge your power while traveling to the other side of the board and get some kind of bonus (like a Buddha).

For example, I've found the flying power from an inactive red monk to be extremely useful to quickly get to a spot where action is needed fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have two power tokens divided between two players, so either they have only one each, or one of them has nothing extra. 2 is the worst, since you only have 2 power tokens in play. 1 and 3 is pretty even with all three power tokens, and 4 monks is the simplest. That's at least our experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
Thanks for the many replies. I am thinking we will begin with one monk each and 2 neutral boards, on the basis that there are less tactical options each turn, and hence turns will require less analysis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryB wrote:
Thanks for the many replies. I am thinking we will begin with one monk each and 2 neutral boards, on the basis that there are less tactical options each turn, and hence turns will require less analysis.
I think you're wrong in your assesment of tactical options, as the Power Tokens forces you to make even more decissions. And the number of monks in play has no effect on how far ahead you want to plan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.