Monsters:
Minotaur X1
Trolls X3
Skeleton Warriors

Board Set Up:
Tan with Rubble Board (Board_A)
Green Board (Board_B)
Cobblestone Board (Board_C)

Place the Board_A out with an obstacle in the two holes farthest north.

Next place the west side of Board_B adjacent to the north side of Board_A. The South Side of Board_B should be flush with the east side of Board_A. No obstacles are placed on Board_B.

Finally place the south side of Board_C adjacent to the East side of Board_B. The West side of Board_C should be flush with north side of Board_B. Place obstacles in the Southern most and two Northern most holes on Board_C.

Special Rules
Goal: Object of the room is for all the Heroes to exit the Northern side of Board_C. When all the heros exit immediately proceed to the Resolution Phase. Add one level 1 room to the top of the room deck for each hero that fails to exit the Daedalus's Labyrinth.

Pit Traps: Heroes that fall into an open hole take 1 point of damage and are removed from the board. Heroes are returned to the board at the end of Overseer's Turn. Position the Hero on the southern most Hero Start Zone.

Living Hedge: Heroes that exit the board during the Heroes Turn (including while other heroes are acting) take 1 point of damage and are removed from the board. Heroes are returned to the board at the end of Overseer's Turn. Position the Hero on the southern most Hero Start Zone. Note: The Northern edge of Board_C isn't effected by this ability

Walls Closing In: If after the hero repositioning no Hero's on are on the Southern most board, remove it from the game.

Dead Arise: Each turn which a Hero doesn't exit the room or trigger the Walls Closing In ability two Skeleton Warriors are summoned. These monsters are placed on the board after Walls Closing In is checked. Skeleton Warriors can be summoned in any of the three monster start zones.

Comments
I have been messing around with this room variant, but have only been able to test it in a Solo environment. Would love to hear what others think. I hope the Board placement section isn't too confusing, I wish I had the ability to upload a picture to make it clearer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which way is "North?" The Monster start zone?...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Madison

Houston
Texas
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. The Monster Start Zone is North and the Hero Start Zone is south.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Sounds like an interesting idea. What happens to monsters that fall in the pit/hedges?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Madison

Houston
Texas
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monsters are immune to the pits/hedges, so just place them on the board where they came off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Roop
United States
Three Rivers
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cooperflood wrote:

Special Rules
Goal: Object of the room is for all the Heroes to exit the Northern side of Board_C. When all the heros exit they win. Add one level 1 room to the top of the room deck for each hero that fails to exit the Daedalus's Labyrinth.

Not sure I like that you put the heroes through a huge room with multiple high ranked monsters, then not only do they suffer a bunch of wounds trying to get through but they have to add more encounters to the room deck.
Also, this type of "leave the board game edge and win" encounter promotes hard flicking. "Well, I've saved/lost everyone else so I'm just going to power flick the Barbarian a hundred miles per hour at the opposing edge, maybe even getting a little air and breaking a window".
Also, according to your rules as printed, my hero tries to leave the north edge, then takes 1 damage, then if the game continues into the OS next turn, the hero is placed back on the southernmost hero entrance.
Quote:

Pit Traps: Heroes that fall into an open hole take 1 point of damage and are removed from the board. Heroes are returned to the board at the end of Overseer's Turn. Position the Hero on the southern most Hero Start Zone.

a very nice houserule that many have suggested here before. I like the different flavor of "return the heroes to the hero start zone" though.
Quote:

Living Hedge: Heroes that exit the board during the Heroes Turn (including while other heroes are acting) take 1 point of damage and are removed from the board. Heroes are returned to the board at the end of Overseer's Turn. Position the Hero on the southern most Hero Start Zone.

interesting variant on the "leave the board, take damage" houserules suggested here before
Quote:

Walls Closing In: If after the hero repositioning no Hero's on are on the Southern most board, remove it from the game.

So, it's possible to have all the monsters dissapear if you can flick them onto the south board and vacate it quick.
Quote:

Dead Arise: Each turn which a Hero doesn't exit the room or trigger the Walls Closing In ability two Skeleton Warriors are summoned. These monsters are placed on the board after Walls Closing In is checked. Skeleton Warriors can be summoned in any of the three monster start zones.

Very nice houserule. I like the idea of spawning them in whichever monster zones you want.
Quote:

Comments
I have been messing around with this room variant, but have only been able to test it in a Solo environment. Would love to hear what others think. I hope the Board placement section isn't too confusing, I wish I had the ability to upload a picture to make it clearer.

Really nice ideas here (hope I wasn't overly critical, just trying to help you improve the wording on some things). I can't see playing this in the regular game, however I think this would be an interesting "final room" in the grid-type play. Kind of an end to the Labyrinth that grid play feels like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Madison

Houston
Texas
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ReignsEternal wrote:

Not sure I like that you put the heroes through a huge room with multiple high ranked monsters, then not only do they suffer a bunch of wounds trying to get through but they have to add more encounters to the room deck.

This encounter has a similar number of monsters as a level 2 room, but with an alternative win condition. You could win this encounter by simply killing everything, but the goal was to get the hero's to ignore many of the monsters and simple rush to end. I choose to add additional encounters, rather than making them loose the entire game if one character was eliminated. Hopefully it's clear that rooms are only added if a Hero fails to make it to the end (aka dies)? I suspect that an intelligent party may make short work of this encounter (Teleport Spell, cloak of invisibility, rogue's double move, barbarian's rage, Wizards Familiar/Skeleton: for extra pushes).

ReignsEternal wrote:

Also, this type of "leave the board game edge and win" encounter promotes hard flicking. "Well, I've saved/lost everyone else so I'm just going to power flick the Barbarian a hundred miles per hour at the opposing edge, maybe even getting a little air and breaking a window".
Also, according to your rules as printed, my hero tries to leave the north edge, then takes 1 damage, then if the game continues into the OS next turn, the hero is placed back on the southernmost hero entrance.

The north edge issue is definitely a wording problem I need to fix. The other issue is more an individual group issue that I can't address. The funny thing is for the majority of the board it really encourages the opposite reaction. I'm normally I pretty hard flicker, but the hedges really made me try to pull my punches.

Pits/Hedges: I know I'm not the first to address the mechanic (I troll these forums often), I just wanted to make it into an actual room card.

ReignsEternal wrote:

So, it's possible to have all the monsters dissapear if you can flick them onto the south board and vacate it quick.

That's the whole idea.

ReignsEternal wrote:

Really nice ideas here (hope I wasn't overly critical, just trying to help you improve the wording on some things). I can't see playing this in the regular game, however I think this would be an interesting "final room" in the grid-type play. Kind of an end to the Labyrinth that grid play feels like.

Your comments were fine (far nicer than some of the comments you get on RPG homebrew forums). I thought about making this into an alternative "boss room", but opted for creating a new type of card instead. Alternatively you use this room in place of two level one rooms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Roop
United States
Three Rivers
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cooperflood wrote:
I choose to add additional encounters, rather than making them loose the entire game if one character was eliminated. Hopefully it's clear that rooms are only added if a Hero fails to make it to the end (aka dies)? I suspect that an intelligent party may make short work of this encounter (Teleport Spell, cloak of invisibility, rogue's double move, barbarian's rage, Wizards Familiar/Skeleton: for extra pushes).

Sounds like I didn't get what a "Level 3" room was. It's a very cool mechanic to slightly punish them for not getting everyone safe across, without ending the game right there.

Quote:
The north edge issue is definitely a wording problem I need to fix. The other issue is more an individual group issue that I can't address. The funny thing is for the majority of the board it really encourages the opposite reaction. I'm normally I pretty hard flicker, but the hedges really made me try to pull my punches.

understand my intention was pointing out the "straight shot" from the hero start to the "exit". And yes, the power shot is an issue of the group, not your room. (an example scenario) all heroes have escaped except the barbarian, 3 of the main monsters are left and a bunch of skeletons. I can try to manuevar over 3 boards, taking a crap load of dmg from the monsters, or I can flick as hard as I can, only taking 1 dmg for going off the board and resetting to the start.

Quote:
Pits/Hedges:[/b] I know I'm not the first to address the mechanic (I troll these forums often), I just wanted to make it into an actual room card.

Actually I thought your tweaks on the "pits/hedges" as you call them, were a nice addition to the homerules I had seen before. A pit that transfers you back to the start. A hedge that you get lost in & come out were you started from are very good (simple) ideas. I like Catacombs tweaks that are simple in implementation, yet add alot to the game.

Quote:
That's the whole idea.

not too shabby

Quote:
I thought about making this into an alternative "boss room", but opted for creating a new type of card instead. Alternatively you use this room in place of two level one rooms.

so If I use it in place of 2 lvl 1 rooms, I win the entire game if I get everyone across? (just making sure)

I'm planning on using this room in my next "grid" adventure as a second possible way for the heros to win. Either escape the labyrinth or kill the boss (at which point the labyrinth falls apart).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Madison

Houston
Texas
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ReignsEternal wrote:

so If I use it in place of 2 lvl 1 rooms, I win the entire game if I get everyone across? (just making sure)

My intention was that you win the room not the entire game. Win was the wrong term. Should actually read, "When all the heros exit immediately proceed to the Resolution Phase." That being said feel free to use this encounter however best suits you.

ReignsEternal wrote:

I'm planning on using this room in my next "grid" adventure as a second possible way for the heros to win. Either escape the labyrinth or kill the boss (at which point the labyrinth falls apart).

Love to hear how it turns out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.