Pandemic» Forums » General

Subject: Infected Copy of Pandemic rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Baldwin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I picked up a copy of Pandemic and noticed many of the pieces (disease cubes, pawns and cards) have some foreign substance on them. I cleaned it off on a few pawns, but I was very disappointed with how dirty everything is. I would have thought it was part of the theme, but the previous weekend I opened a sealed copy at a friends house and decided to pick up a copy myself.

I am considering returning it to the store I bought it from if they can get a replacement copy. Has anyone else had an experience like this?

Of all the games I own, this one did make the most sense theme wise to have the "infected" look, but I don't really appreciate the mess it makes on my gaming table.

I do enjoy the game, and I have a copy of the expansion on order. I am looking forward to having more of a variety with the roles and trying the Bio-Terrorist variation (I think the Bio-Terrorist got a hold of my copy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Email Z-man and ask for clean replacements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Jigsaw Man
United States
Goose Creek
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might wish to get rid of that set and do a bit of disinfecting. My FLS got in two copies in the last few weeks with mold on the wooden pieces.

But Z-man should hook you up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Baldwin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
JgzMan wrote:
You might wish to get rid of that set and do a bit of disinfecting. My FLS got in two copies in the last few weeks with mold on the wooden pieces.

But Z-man should hook you up.

Thanks, I didn't even think of that. I've been sneezing and had a runny nose today, perhaps I should have disinfected/cleaned the game as soon I noticed it instead of playing with it first.

I probably shouldn't have sleeved the cards either, but at the time I really wanted to play it, dirty/moldy or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelein de Cratia
Spain
Guayota City
Nivaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same problem:

[IMG]http://www.timexplorers.com/fritoxjugar/pics/pandemic_caja (5).JPG[/IMG]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksander R. Nordgarden Rødner
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
designer
Proud father of Sarah Arwen and Ruth Rose
badge
Would really like to study U.S. History at some point, just to be able to say that I'm a Coolidge student...
mbmbmbmbmb
pelein wrote:
Me too.

OP: Have you contacted ZMG? Have you heard back from them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Baldwin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I sent an email last night. I will respond here with their resolution. It's surprising to see so many others with this issue. Does anyone know what is on the pieces? Has anyone had this issue with On the Brink?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ax Bits
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most folks with the same issue say it's mold.
I haven't seen anyone complain about OtB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Baldwin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Maxx_Pointy wrote:
Most folks with the same issue say it's mold.
I haven't seen anyone complain about OtB.

Wow, so the theme is even more integrated into game then I expected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Would really like to study U.S. History at some point, just to be able to say that I'm a Coolidge student...
mbmbmbmbmb
I washed mine off and let them dry, they look fine to me now, but I'm wondering on allowing them a good rinse in some cheap booze as well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Ross
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
I bought mine yesterday and noticed the same thing, but only on the wooden pieces.
The cards didn't have any mold/gunk/whatever on them, but one is creased and another has a wad of plastic imbedded in it.
Also, two of the blue cubes are stuck together.
I'm about to write to ZMan Games about it.
With so many problems, I hope they don't think I'm kidding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Baldwin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
aidan wrote:
I've also got the same problem. A close inspection led me to think that it was something to do with how the paint was applied. Ironically, I'm exchanging e-mails with the company that produces the game (not publishes) to see if we want to use them for our next game ...

Aidan
ninjaarrrhzombierobot

I'd have second thoughts about using them after seeing so many others reporting the same issues. Have they explained what happened with Pandemic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Martin
Canada
Torbay
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
twbumr wrote:
aidan wrote:
I've also got the same problem. A close inspection led me to think that it was something to do with how the paint was applied. Ironically, I'm exchanging e-mails with the company that produces the game (not publishes) to see if we want to use them for our next game ...

Aidan
:ninja::arrrh::zombie::robot:

I'd have second thoughts about using them after seeing so many others reporting the same issues. Have they explained what happened with Pandemic?

CCJ.

Cheap Chinese Junk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelein de Cratia
Spain
Guayota City
Nivaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost ALL games are made in China! And this is the first time that it happen to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Baldwin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I got my copy of On the Brink and it had no issues. Crossing my fingers the replacement copy isn't moldy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Westbrock
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Son of a gun, I had read this thread last week and thought it was odd. I bought my copy of Pandemic from my FLGS two days ago and when I opened it tonight what did I find? Moldy pieces. The cubes weren't too bad but the pawns were pretty ugly. I'm going to see if my FLGS will exchange the pieces for me (not sure they have a second copy on hand) so that I don't have to wait for Z-Man to ship them to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Baldwin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Doppelbock wrote:
Son of a gun, I had read this thread last week and thought it was odd. I bought my copy of Pandemic from my FLGS two days ago and when I opened it tonight what did I find? Moldy pieces. The cubes weren't too bad but the pawns were pretty ugly. I'm going to see if my FLGS will exchange the pieces for me (not sure they have a second copy on hand) so that I don't have to wait for Z-Man to ship them to me.

Z-man was very quick with a response and replacement after I sent them an email. It seems as if a large portion got "infected", so your LFGS may have the same issue with any other copies they may have. Only Z-man has the cure for this issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Westbrock
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kudos to Zev for getting the pieces to my house three business days after I e-mailed my address. I'm a happy camper now, hopefully we get to give it a go tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Finch
United Kingdom
Woking
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Similar here - picked up a copy today from Orc's Nest in London, and the wooden pieces are grey and dusty.

All the wooden pieces are separated into small baggies, and then in a big baggie. So thankfully it only appears to have affected the wooden bits.

Zev replied promptly and said they'd be sending a replacement set.

Not sure where they'll be coming from (US I assume), so will take a while to get to the UK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oochiepan
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
I had the same issue as well; dark brown mould on the wooden pawns. Upon closer inspection, there was also a smaller quantity of mould on some of the disease cubes.

I washed them all in warm, soapy water and haven't had any issues or sniffles.

I talked to an employee at the local games store where I purchased the sealed set, and he said that mould is a common issue, and to contact ZMan for any problems. I suspect the Chinese factory where the set is made may have some moisture issues that the little dessicate pack just couldn't handle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandor Juhasz
Hungary
Debrecen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, same problem here as well. I got my copy and I also had the mold on the wooden pieces, especially the pawns were dirty. The board and cards are not affected. Cleaning, disinfecting is tonight's program for me. And of course, an e-mail goes to Z-Man.

Update: just 15 minutes after sending the e-mail, Z-Man kindly asked me for my address and they are sending the new wooden pieces by mail. That's customer service at least.

08-31-2010: Update: after 7 days I have just received the air mail from Z-Man with the new cubes and pawns. Thank you very much Zev for the prompt service!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
did they send you the original large pawns or new little pawns?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the architect wrote:
did they send you the original large pawns or new little pawns?
Originals for me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.