BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: So, I have this friend I really really need to get rid off... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johan Jaurin
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I'm just kidding! But seriously, my friend has his birthday next week and I'm looking for some affordable game complete with the backstabbing/caboodlehole-experience. He loves Cosmic Encounter and Battlestar Galactica and I'm looking something with the similar alliance-building or secret-team element. I've looked at a whole bunch of games
and I can't really decide:

- Bang
- Saboteur
- Shadow Hunters (Unlikely I will be able to get this one before his B-day)
_ Intrigue

Anything similar you think I should look at?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diplomacy, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Winfrey
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Illuminati. That's the granddaddy of backstabbing and alliances.

Note that it needs at least four to play well, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmb
For your money Intrigue is probably the best bet.

Someone once told me that you lose a piece of your soul everytime you play Intrigue.

And it only takes, at most, 90 minutes to play.

LA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie Rogers
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh, my vote is Intrigue. It plays quickly so you can just do it again and again and again. And it will make you stabby each time.

I only play when they need a 4th or 5th player "too make it better". I get far too...uh...emotional in these types of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pinter
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Bang! but you really need to have 6-8 people (Dodge City allows you to expand to 8 people) 5 is ok (2 outlaws, renegade, deputy), 4 is playable, but I think the game is best with 6-7.

I don't really have any other games like this and Saboteur is actually next on my list of purchases for this kind of game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cutthroat Caverns I hear is nasty and fun. More on the inexpensive side as well. I have never played so can not vouch though.

I recommend A Game of Thrones (first edition). If you have enough players, this game is nasty. I recommend the George R.R. Martin books that the game took inspiration from too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
V. M. G.
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drakon perhaps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Owens
United States
Saginaw
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Intrigue is a great choice. That game is so vicious, you feel dirty at the end of it. It's dirt cheap too, and is very straight-forward, in terms of rules. I'd recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kutchfarth is really good for this. You need at least 6 though and it's very cheap, 10 USD or like 7 euros in europe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard that Lifeboats and Santiago can be pretty vicious.

There's also some zombie game where you vote on who to leave behind...I think. Can't remember the name now though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morgan
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mall of Horror
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Little
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
vmgottin wrote:
Drakon perhaps

I second Drakon (third edition), my friends love this game because of the countless ways you can screw your neighbour. It even comes with a team variant in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saboteur is quite fun and really inexpensive.

I second the vote for Cutthroat Caverns though. I think it has great replay value and it is just the kind of false co-op game that I really like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Munkin obviously.

Is there a preferred length of time on it?

If your looking for 20 minutes or less Sabetour is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Schendel
United States
Lino Lakes
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nordlead wrote:
I love Bang! but you really need to have 6-8 people (Dodge City allows you to expand to 8 people) 5 is ok (2 outlaws, renegade, deputy), 4 is playable, but I think the game is best with 6-7.

I don't really have any other games like this and Saboteur is actually next on my list of purchases for this kind of game.

Bang! Is an excellent game. Works pretty fun when you incorporate drinking too.. then again, what game DOESNT get better with booze?

-j

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CM Randall wrote:
Cutthroat Caverns I hear is nasty and fun. More on the inexpensive side as well. I have never played so can not vouch though.

I'm still pissed off about my last game of Cutthroat Caverns, and that was well over a year ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonogo wrote:
nordlead wrote:

Bang! Is an excellent game. Works pretty fun when you incorporate drinking too.. then again, what game DOESNT get better with booze?

-j

The only thing I hate about Bang! is when you die after 5 minutes and the game then lasts for 2 hours!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Danath wrote:
jonogo wrote:
nordlead wrote:

-j

The only thing I hate about Bang! is when you die after 5 minutes and the game then lasts for 2 hours!

If Bang lasts more than 45 minutes, something is seriously wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it just seems like 2 hours... however this is my neighbors that took 2.5 hours to play Finca... FINCA I tell you! ugh... I don't think I've played the game since. I taught my brother and his wife and we played a game in 20 minutes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Got two game tables and a microphone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about werewolf? Player elimination, very backstabby...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Silas1510 wrote:
I'll throw in another vote for Lifeboats.

I would have voted for it but it is currently not OOP. Copies can be found in the marketplace and EBay, though, if you look enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arne Thomi
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In reference to your opener: Maybe you should check the remake of Junta, a very nasty classic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Last weekend I played Sucking Vacuum. You're stuck on a space station that's been damaged and need to get to the escape shuttle. You have to find a space suit--a helmet, top, and bottom--run the program to fuel the shuttle, and get into it. It needs a pilot and co-pilot unless you have the autopilot program, but you can only carry one special item (like the autopilot or the fuel program). You can also carry weapons and beat people senseless to get their stuff. And, the station has no internal air locks, so while you look for what you need, the station loses more and more sections to vacuum.

There's also an alien vs. human version, perhaps for two?

It has a random map and random distribution of stuff--with some stuff missing. (You need at least one fueling program, and in theory they could both be gone--change the method of randomizing if you dislike this.)

It's not a game you're going to want to play often, probably, but it's fun if you're in the right mood. It's cheap: US$12-15.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Espinoza
United States
South Gate
California
flag msg tools
You can do what I did. Buy them a gift certificate to an online board game shop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.