Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pascal Lefebvre
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just this weekend, I had an opportunity to play Summoner Wars with two of my regular players, and since the game was rather exciting, here's a resume of the session:

I had two "metagame" goals in this game: first, people in my group never pass magic to each other, so when I passed all my magic every turn to my other self, they saw the full power it gave me (kept about 7-8 magic points each turn, allowing huge summons if needed).

My second goal I was not able to fulfill: I wanted to mix the armies by putting walls on my ally's side. We never did that. It almost always ends up with a dual 1 on 1, the first winner coming and closing the second fight. I wanted to show them what it felt like to have a mix of factions, but never drew ANY SINGLE WALL!!! For both factions.

Being the experimented player, I let them choose their factions, and I'd end up with the remaining two. Elves and Dwarves united their forces to fight Orcs and Goblins. Elves got first turn (and so did the Dwarves), and began their rampaging quite quickly. After two turns, the Orcs had nothing but a summoner. The situation with the Dwarves was quite similar, though not every goblin were eradicated, but a little luck helped me keep my units longer than expected. The beginning was quite to my advantage, but that was before the Goblins began the overwhelming...

I eventually fell under the overwhelming Goblins, so I had to go back defensive with the Dwarves. An early Eater really rampaged my side of the board, always catching one of my commons for at least 5 turns. I thought my elves were pretty safe on their side, so they made an exit towards the middle of the board, the group including Elien, and Archer and a Warrior. They had a shot on Sneek, but the lucky bastard was not touched by my arrows. And again, the wind turned against me.

The Orc player got a lot of units out, including Ragnor, and an Ice wall right in front of Elien. A few seconds later, Elien was down to 1 life point, and was trapped alone between Sneeks and a swarm of Orcs. Fleeing was risky, and so was the unexpected move I made: Elien sacrificed himself to hit Sneeks directly, and dropped all of his cards into mana for the Dwarves to finish the game. It wasn't even halfway through.

Elien being dead, the Orcs swarming over the board edges, and the Goblins using a combination of Events to pierce through my wall-less defense, I really hoped Elien's last 5 mana points would bring Gror into play to overkill the Goblins. I only got Thorkur out, which was not bad since I had tons of mana, but didn't overkill the Goblins too much. Luckily, a trio of Engineers and a Besiege the wall came right at the good time for me to destroy both Goblin walls!

+

Thorkur then had an opportunity to pierce through the Goblin defenses, and reach the deepest row of enemy territory. And with all his might, he shot over the edge of the board to beat up Grognack. Unexpected hits! The Orc player sent a Shaman, and Grognack himself after Thorkur, which was not the best of ideas, but the area being empty, it was an epic clash! The Orc made the mistake of keeping the Shaman after Thorkur, instead of supporting the Goblins hitting Oldin, and with the last of my magic points, Thorkur survived, and killed Gronack in 3 turns.

Now back in a 1 on 1, the wall-less Goblins finally got their last wall out, and kept on the pressure. Baldar was summoned to keep the Eater at bay, but received a triple wound. He luckily survived when the Eater ran out of food. It was a loss too soon for the Goblins: Sneeks was slightly wounded already, and the Goblins ran out of juice! Oldin slipped through the edge of the board to find safety, and Sneeks had nowhere to run as he was being pursued by both Thorkur and Baldar, Gror being kept in hand and waiting for the time to be summoned.

I finally got the kill, with only 2 hit points remaining on Oldin, and a glorious and really exhausted Thorkur. Pretty exciting game were Elien's sacrifice made the cut between a loss and a win. I never expected it to work so well, even if I had to endure a 2 on 1 situation during a few turns. I really have a hard time playing the Elves, and they always die without doing anything, but at least this time they were helpful (but died anyway). Thumbs up for the Dwarves who really manage to do the things they are supposed to: beginners tend to underestimate them, but I got the hang of them quite quickly and they are really powerful.

Hope this session gave some of you the urge to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Phoenixio wrote:

Damn you, I'm at work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cookingham
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phoenixio wrote:

I always have the urge to play. I just don't have the opportunity.

Thanks for rubbing it in...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Lefebvre
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubbing it in? Those who play with Vanguards and Fallen Kingdom are rubbing it in! Not me with my "oh so outdated" starters

Honestly, I was very happy to play again after such a while. I'm not sure my friends are enjoying it as much as me, but I'll manage to push it trough!

Edit: Corrected some typo in the review, no major changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Earls
United States
Flower Mound
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AWESOME Session report! Man, that had me looking to the next line to see what happens. I really love this game, but same problem as with others, I can never get my group to play! cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.