Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb

Rules

From the BGG No Thanks! page:

The rules are simple. Each turn, players have two options:

* play one of their chips to avoid picking up the current face-up card
* pick up the face-up card (along with any chips that have already been played on that card) and turn over the next card

However, the choices aren't so easy as players compete to have the lowest score at the end of the game. The deck of cards is numbered from 3 to 35, with each card counting for a number of points equal to its face value. Runs of two or more cards only count as the lowest value in the run - but nine cards are removed from the deck before starting, so be careful looking for connectors. Each chip is worth -1 point, but they can be even more valuable by allowing you to avoid drawing that unwanted card.

And that's about it. Very simple to teach, very simple to play.

Components

The Z-Man games version comes with a deck of appropriately numbered cards and some red tokens. I have a homemade copy that uses playing cards which are suitably marked and some glass beads. You can use damn near anything to play this game. I hear that Racko, a game commonly found at yardsales, has the requisite cards to work well.

Gameplay

Such a simple ruleset and yet wonderful decisions to make. Either take the card and the chips or put a chip on the card.

Sometimes you pass on a card that you could use just because nobody else wants it. Then you let the chips build up and take it, netting a big bunch of points. But someone may take it before you get the chance! So you are pressing your luck and playing the odds in hopes that you will get what you want.

Sometimes you will be low on chips and will be staring down a high card, watching as the turns pass and the chips build up. You know full well that you will be burdened with a 35 and then someone takes it, saving you from oblivion! It's moments like this that make it a wonderful game.

The removal of 9 cards adds a huge level of uncertainty to the game. If everything was there, you could try and wait for the perfect chance. Since some cards are missing, you need to play odds and pray to the game gods that the cards you need are there. This also ramps up the tension and gives players a lot of opportunity to mess with each other.

No Thanks! comes down to managing your chips. Do it well and you will have some great opportunities. Do it poorly and you will lose badly.

This is the rare game that scales just as well from 3-6 players. You can play it kids, non-gamers, gamers, and just about anyone else. It's very versatile and a game lasts only about 15 minute which means you can (and will likely) play many games in one session.

Overall

I can't recommend this game enough as a gateway/introductory game. No Thanks is fun and tense but light enough to not scare anyone away. You have a great decision to make every turn while trying to formulate a long-term plan on what cards to take and how to manage your chips.

I rate No Thanks! a 7/10. It's a really good game that I like to play and enjoy enough to suggest. I did get a bit burned out on it which is why it doesn't get an 8 from me, but it's quite good.

No Thanks is a rare game. The price is quite low, it's fun and tense, and it works for almost everyone. For under $7 you can have a game that is incredibly flexible to player numbers and ages. There are not many games that can say that and for that reason I highly recommend this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom moughan
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
ahh....I love the smell of a stack of sketchily placed animals in the morning!
mbmbmbmbmb
great review. It gave me a bit of free fun tonight - As I had racko and po-ke-no, I stole the appropriate cards and chips and sat down to try out 'No Thanks'. It's fun, light-hearted betting/press-your-luck and I look forward to grabbing up a copy at some point when I see it for cheap.

I am not new to gaming by a stretch, but I enjoy having a few quick titles to share with new gamers. cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Tom, I'm glad you enjoyed the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.