Jay Volk
United States
Richfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.mortificationofspin.org/
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a four player game at Origins, and we did not use Hamilton (the rules say - NO HAMILTON). However, we kept Hamilton's card in the deck. The ability to draw an extra wild card is powerful, but we didn't want to deprive New York of a delegate.

What say you? In a four player game, do you play with the Hamilton card in the deck, or does he sit on the sidelines, moping and clamoring on about a central banking system?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Smidt
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, did you like the game, Jay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Darden
United States
Lake Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say to keep him in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Volk
United States
Richfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked the game quite a bit. I listened to a 10 minute preview from Jim at the Jolly Roger booth, then I played my first game with five players (one of whom had played previously) and taught three more games after that.

I enjoy history and am familiar with many of the stories of the signers of the Constitution. I feel that the game rather accurately reflects the personalities of those in the room. I do not agree with those of the opinion that the theme is pasted on. After fur plays, his strikes me as a well researched, well balanced game.

The real fun of this game is when it transcends the game and becomes a game within a game. We had one situation where parents needed to get their kids to bed and I was able to play George Washington to end the round (and the game). We also had a situation in another game where we had such an argument over rules interpretation that I thought someone was going to start to filibuster.

One complaint that I have - the cardstock of the cards is not strong. After just a few games, ours were already fraying. I think this either needs to be corrected or replacement decks need to be offered for sale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Darden
United States
Lake Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree about the cardstock, the cards are pretty, but the quality is pretty terrible. I sleeved mine after the first play after already noticing wear.

I also agree that the theme seems well integrated. Five players is a bit too much chaos for my taste, four seems like the sweet spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dietz
United States
Sigel
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
With the cardstock--it's something that can't be fixed at this point of the process. What I'd like to do if the print run sells out is make sure to do extra decks in the 2nd print run for cases like yours/people who want replacement decks.

I'm also thinking that a little less gloss on the cards would be good.

I think these are generally small quibbles though (so I hope).

Taxers wrote:
I liked the game quite a bit. I listened to a 10 minute preview from Jim at the Jolly Roger booth, then I played my first game with five players (one of whom had played previously) and taught three more games after that.

I enjoy history and am familiar with many of the stories of the signers of the Constitution. I feel that the game rather accurately reflects the personalities of those in the room. I do not agree with those of the opinion that the theme is pasted on. After fur plays, his strikes me as a well researched, well balanced game.

The real fun of this game is when it transcends the game and becomes a game within a game. We had one situation where parents needed to get their kids to bed and I was able to play George Washington to end the round (and the game). We also had a situation in another game where we had such an argument over rules interpretation that I thought someone was going to start to filibuster.

One complaint that I have - the cardstock of the cards is not strong. After just a few games, ours were already fraying. I think this either needs to be corrected or replacement decks need to be offered for sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Volk
United States
Richfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha - cardstock never stopped me from buying a game

I am not a card sleever, so I will need the option of buying an additional deck or two.

I have Founding Fathers on order now, so I'm a believer. I think the defining moment for me was when, during downtime in one game, I read the text on one of the Articles. On the Federalist side (which was adopted by the Constitutional Convention) it said "Congress can make any laws it pleases." On the anti-Federalist side was, "Congress shall make no law restricting freedom of the press, religion, etc." This language became the First Amendment to the Constitution that we all hold so dear. Right on, designers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.