Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
www.punkzter.blogspot.com
badge
It's a horse. On a chair.
mbmbmbmbmb
A few reasons why you should not charge:

1. Not all of the the guilds serve a meetup type function. I know that many podcasts use the guilds as a great way to stimulate conversation among listeners.

2. Meetup.Com works, but most of the boardgamers that I know do not use meetup for their groups. And many gamers also do not regularly use BGG. I tried getting people in my local gaming group to sign up for the BGG guild but they prefer a mailing list.

3. What would charging do? It is up to guild members to stimulate guild activity. Just charging a fee or not charging a fee won't do that. And I am not sure if adding a fee will lead to additional features. I would love to see some new features in the guilds, but a BGG admin would have to specify that additional fees would lead to those features.

(Would it?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Cleaning up dead guilds might be worth looking into so that looking for guilds to join is a more fruitful endeavor (less likely to find one that's inactive)

I'm also planning something for the near future to get Guilds a touch closer to filling in a meet-up function. Keep your eyes peeled!

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is the guilds are pretty much buried. There is a module for them to be displayed on the front page but it shows all guilds not just the ones you are subscribed to. I think the guilds would be used more if people could get a module for the front page here that they can edit to just show their guilds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
I agree that increasing visibility will be a big step towards increasing the functionality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Maybe if the default setting for guilds was "subscribed" ... Some feathers would be ruffled, but it's a reminder of what guilds you belong to ...

If someone feels the need to unsubscribe a guild, they should perhaps consider whether they wish to remain a guild member ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Part of the issue, for me, is that the guilds came along late in the game. My group has a website, vibrant message board, etc. - there's no reason, internally, for us to use BGG's guild.

However, the benefit could be as an external-facing tool - so, if someone lived on Long Island, and was looking for a group, they could find us. Unfortunately, that's not the way it works. I don't even know if results in guilds are returned via forum search, and - as Matthew says - the visibility is a detriment.

So, we have a guild; we rarely use it, but I'd like to use it. I do think the fault lies also with the individuals - like most things, you get what you put in, and, admittedly, I haven't done much; but, for us, the guild was just another tool, and an outward-facing one at that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clason
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt,

Incase you wanted to know, here are a couple of features I would like added to guilds:

Post geeklists to guilds. Many groups post geeklists of games they played at group game events.

A feature to help coordinate what games people are bringing to a game event. Many game events are at someones house, so there should be an option to add all the host's games to the list of games people are bringing.

Thanx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.