Australia
Flynn
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I know Internal doors are already barricades

The variant I'm suggesting here is in two modifications:

1) Construct doors with stands to indicate where the internal doors are. These are placed on the board (on the line) where the doors are indicated on the room tiles.

This adds a small benefit of knowing exactly where the internal "barricades" are and thus where zombies will pile-up until a "barricade breaks" card is drawn.

2) Small addition to the "create barricade" action: can use an internal door as the wood source of the barricade to create 2 barricades for 1 action.

A character can use a free action to remove an adjacent internal door (1 hand carry, but cannot be stored) Character would move it (half movement, rounded down) to a window and then use a hammer and the door as the wood "source" to create 2 window barricades for a single action.

What do you think? Is there enough of a risk/reward option here to make the choice of removing an internal barricade/door seem worthwhile to quickly build up the window defences? Obviously after these barricades fall, the Zeds will have the run of the house with no internal doors to hold them in check...
zombiezombiezombiezombiezombiezombiezombiezombie

Should it be 2 Barricade per door? Or 1? Or does this just make it all too complicated or too difficult?

In my view, I figured it would really make you think about which doors to use. It might encourage people to use the door from the useless 2x2 room... This could even help with those people that use that small room to meta-game and simply wall themselves up, hoping to wait it out until dawn breaks and are rescued.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea. I'd thought the same thing. "Gee these doors would make really damn sturdy barricades if I could uproot them..." heh

RL Doors are usually rather hard to get off the hinges even when you know what you are doing. Also they require 2 hands to carry or drag if you want to move at any decent speed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Douglas
Australia
Flynn
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah - I figure RL would get in the way of these ideas, but I figured it might be tweak-able to get working within the context of the game. I just didn't want to penalise the character with having to spend time and extra actions.

Currently in DoN:
1 action to barricade (assuming you have hammer in hand)

Real Life:
1 action to take door off hinges
1 action to move with door in two hands
1 action to put door down and move hammer to hand
1 action to barricade

My variant suggestion:
Free action to get door off hinges
1 action to move door from doorway to window (assuming it's close by and only carrying the door one handed - hence the 1/2 movement penalty)
1 action to barricade (assuming you have hammer in other hand)

The idea was to try and make a compromise between real life and the games mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.