Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually buy games twice a year: early in summer when my son gets out of school and Christmas.

After our trip to Origins last week (where I was hoping--stupidly--to find some convention deals on the three or four games I wanted), I hit the online dealers and found some great prices...

...until I factored in shipping costs. wow

What's the deal with shipping costs in the last six months? A game that has an MSRP of $35 and is sold by the larger online game retailers for $25 ends up having a $15 shipping charge. Ouch! I can't remember ever spending more than $8 to ship a game or two.

So Sunday I surfed to Amazon.com to see what they had. Some smart game retailers have affiliated themselves with Amazon, and the breadth of games available has soared recently. I picked up a copy of Tales of the Arabian Nights for around $43 with free shipping, about the best pricing combo I could find anywhere.

But what shocked me is that I refreshed the screen after making the purchase and the price for the game had jumped to $53! Up $10 within five minutes! Worse, nearly every game I had viewed on Amazon had a price jump, often large, within the half hour after I ordered. Fortunately, my charge was already locked in.

Bizarre.

Anyone have any insights into what is going on with shipping costs and sudden Amazon price hikes?

And from what online game retailer do you do most of your shopping? Do they have lower than average shipping costs?

I consistently buy from Time Well Spent because they will custom calculate shipping for you if requested.This has regularly cut my shipping costs in half.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Altoona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edelen wrote:
I usually buy games twice a year

That is probably the saddest thing I will hear today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Cleary
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LetsGetTrivial wrote:
edelen wrote:

Sometimes I buy once a year. Sometimes.... not at all....

Usually I thrift so Brick and Mortars don't see a dime from me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For small orders, MyAtomic has free shipping at $25. For larger orders, CoolStuff has free shipping at $100. Now that Boards and Bits has their Ohio warehouse, shipping is affordable and fast, so I suppose it makes a difference where you are and where you're ordering from. Considering you're in Ohio, I would price compare with B&B for your next order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Cleary
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
For small orders, MyAtomic has free shipping at $25. For larger orders, CoolStuff has free shipping at $100. Now that Boards and Bits has their Ohio warehouse, shipping is affordable and fast, so I suppose it makes a difference where you are and where you're ordering from. Considering you're in Ohio, I would price compare with B&B for your next order.

Boards and Bits is around $ten, unless you can get a "free shipping" item tacked on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Schmit
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazon is not one giant warehouse. Amazon.com is a consolidation of several different sellers only one of which is Amazon itself. The sellers all list items with different prices and inventory levels. If you bought the last widget at $40 from one vendor and the next cheapest vendor had one for $50 then you'll see a lot of sudden price increases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Flaherty
United States
Loves Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The price jump is likely only due to the fact that you purchased the lowest priced item. The next lowest priced item then becomes the new "low" price item, and it appears that the price has jumped. This would be the case if the sale is through amazon, but fulfilled by a third party, thus stock and prices can vary widely.

Edit...
So, I get beat by like what 1 second ???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boards & Bits: it's $8 to me here in NY, so $38.36 plus $8 would be $46.36. My Atomic has it for $44.99 with free shipping. CoolStuff has it for $38.99, and if I bought from them I'd probably make a $100 order to get free shipping. Interestingly, Troll and Toad has the lowest price that I could find, with $34.97, so depending on the shipping, they might come out the best (unless, again, you got free shipping at a place like CoolStuff).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LetsGetTrivial wrote:
edelen wrote:

I'm not rich. Many games are just too expensive to buy in large quantities. I buy about a dozen games a year, with a few going to others as gifts.

Sorry that's a sad thing to hear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Baptist
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're only ordering twice a year, I'm surprised this is a problem for you. Just make two $100+ orders -- that will get you free shipping at most places. I recommend CoolStuffInc.

Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
Interestingly, Troll and Toad has the lowest price that I could find, with $34.97, so depending on the shipping, they might come out the best (unless, again, you got free shipping at a place like CoolStuff).

It was the high cost of shipping ($14, if I remember correctly) at T&T that inspired me to look elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SlikkRikk wrote:
If you're only ordering twice a year, I'm surprised this is a problem for you. Just make two $100+ orders -- that will get you free shipping at most places. I recommend CoolStuffInc.

Happy gaming!

I only bought about $70 worth of games this time. I may keep this in mind for Christmas, though. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dean
United States
Athens
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Amish Tech Support
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite online retailer is gamesurplus.com. Their prices are attractive, service is exceptional and delivery to Ohio is lightning fast. Shipping costs are reasonable and can be free with the purchase of certain games.
Also their packaging is outstanding. I am entirely confident when I order from them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Let's Play Two!
United States
Collinsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
miniaturemarket.com recently switched to free shipping at $75 - because of it, they've been a place I've looked into recently for placing orders and I've had good results with them so far. They're located near St. Louis.

Just for reference, they currently list Tales of the Arabian Nights for $37.19.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ratpfink wrote:
Amazon.com is a consolidation of several different sellers only one of which is Amazon itself. The sellers all list items with different prices and inventory levels. If you bought the last widget at $40 from one vendor and the next cheapest vendor had one for $50 then you'll see a lot of sudden price increases.

That's the thing. I didn't buy the last copy of that game from the vendor. They listed several more in stock. Unless there was a sudden rush of sales within five minutes, I can't explain the price hike. Also, what explains that nearly all the games I had viewed hiked all at once? Vendor switching doesn't explain that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua 龙海峰 Hockaday
China
常常在三台,绵阳 (Santai, Mianyang) 有时候在成都(Chengdu)
四川 (Sichuan)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I envy all of you! I live in China so shipping is a major factor when I buy games. I have been TRYING to buy games only once or twice a year, but I can't stop myself. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Urich
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edelen wrote:
That's the thing. I didn't buy the last copy of that game from the vendor. They listed several more in stock. Unless there was a sudden rush of sales within five minutes, I can't explain the price hike. Also, what explains that nearly all the games I had viewed hiked all at once? Vendor switching doesn't explain that.

Amazon used to change prices based on your browser's cookies (the history of what all you've looked at and such), so you might try loading it up in a different browser just to see if they're at it again. It was first discovered in 2000, then reported when it came up again in 2005 (http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/06/24/ramasastry.website.prices/), so maybe after another 5 years it's time to hear about it again.

As for buying games cheaper, if you have a local game shop (even a shop that just does Magic cards like mine) you can ask if they can get the games at the price you want. Just be sure to tell them the price you'll pay if they normally don't do board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RichardU wrote:
Amazon used to change prices based on your browser's cookies (the history of what all you've looked at and such), so you might try loading it up in a different browser just to see if they're at it again. It was first discovered in 2000, then reported when it came up again in 2005 (http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/06/24/ramasastry.website.prices/), so maybe after another 5 years it's time to hear about it again.

I expunge cookies after every browsing session. It ain't a cookie problem.

Odder still, prices have jumped in several other retailers in just the last few days. Something has changed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.