Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: WotR: How many images do we need? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
I may get thrown under the bus for stating this, but I'm getting pretty tired of seeing everyone's painted minis over on the War of the Rings page. Now don't get me wrong, I think that they've all been expertly painted, and the minis are each a wonder to behold. It's just that this site is now inundated with these photos -- there are presently 138 images for this game! Compare that to Heroscape (52) or Puerto Rico (25) and I think you'd agree that we've exceeded saturation. I consider BGG a showcase for games, yet most of these photos use the game pieces to showcase the artistic talents of the submitters. While I understand the desire to show off one's many hours of work, I think this desire could be better serviced through other means. Perhaps one could host the photos on a different site, and provide a link to one's site on the game page. To me, images on BGG should show the major game components, game box, and some sample game setups, which can be accomplished with maybe a dozen images maximum per game. Seeing countless regiments of dwarfs and elfs, while individually quite compelling, collectively grate at me as a waste of precious bandwidth. So, how many images do we need? Will it ever stop?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will (JR) Todd
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Opinions vary...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Yes, I agree
WHY don't these same folks get a FREE website to 'host' them and I can't SEE having the majority of them with HUGE 'pics' anyhow. What about 'cropping' them DOWN to just around the figures themselves, hmmm? I do that ALL of the time to conserve SPACE on my own P.C. as well as this one! I try to get as MUCH detail as I can, but there is a certain point in which it makes little or NO difference, so please people, "think of the children!" "do it for the children"laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen
United States
Ferndale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not for games with a lot of photos set up a folder sistem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got to agree
Although I think the work people have done is pretty amazing stuff, I think it gives the wrong impression when those pics are in there. I also think it's pretty funny that the game has about a thousand articles written for it.

Of course I played it last night, and I have to agree that I'm pretty well hooked. I'm glad I asked for it for Christmas...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I second that idea
I say that they should stay while making them MUCH more smaller-by ELIMINATING much of what is NOT the 'figure' being de-'pic'-ted, to conserve SPACE, I mean c'mon, how many SCREENS of 'background' is needed?...or desired? One decent, up close as you can get, while keeping it ALL upon just '1' SCREEN is enough!!! I could understand and even advocate this, if they were of an extensive gameboard, but, mY GAWD! Some of the 'Hobbits & Dwarves' are bigger in the 'pics' than they would be, if they were SEEN in "real life"!(jk) I don't need to SEE if they 'buttoned up' properly, so leave THOSE for the 'private albums'. Thank YOU!
devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
mbmb
I have to agree with Spielfreak. These lots and lots WotR-Images are couner-productive. Most are too big and show nothing, that will tell people something about the game.
I mean, yes, it´s great for you, if you paint every single miniature in the game...but please, don´t send a photo of every single one to the geek! It was interesting, when the first one did it. But now? Please Stop! Yes, I know: You want the Gold.
People could send pictures of their painted Warhammer-Miniatures to the geek also, but I don´t think, that this is the purpose of BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imagine being a WOTR painting geek and getting your Avatar and a tab or two!

[WOTR][GEEK]
[MINI][PAINTER]
(cyclic animated GIF of self-painted WOTR figs here.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
That would be nice ha HA!
Quote:
Imagine being a WOTR painting geek and getting your Avatar and a tab or two!

[WOTR][GEEK]
[MINI][PAINTER]
(cyclic animated GIF of self-painted WOTR figs here.)

I want THAT!laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen
United States
Ferndale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah! TWO geek bage's!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've posted on this subject before and would have to agree with Ray Mulford - it's up to the Administrators to approve or reject a picture, and since there does seem to be a solid subculture of BGG miniature painters, would agree with the decision to approve them (this thinking would also apply to HeroScape layouts).

Jorgen von Borch's idea of a folder system for games with huge picture galleries does sound like a good idea though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I decided to paint my WOTR minis there wasn't any good pictures of painted minis. I really needed them to decide if I should do it or not. I decided to do it anyway and uploaded some pictures - not to show off, but to help others who where thinking about painting their own minis.

The feedback i got via GeekMail shows a huge interest in painting the WOTR minis, an peope still have a lot of questions to ask about it. If peopel shows such a big interest int painting the minis, why shouldent there be a lot of pictures?

I see the Geek as a comunity for gamer not just a database of games. If it was just a database, the pictures of painted minis shouldn't be there, but as a comunity for gamers the pictures definetly has the right to be there.

/alfons

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Montesa
United States
El Cerrito
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm painting mine (I'm a big minis painter/gamer), and I really like to see what others have done; it helps me get ideas for colors and paint schemes.

If the admins want to put a cap on it, okay, but as long as they keep approving them, I'll keep looking at them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmb

Maybe 2 picture galleries per game?
1- Retail pics
2- Modding pics

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
its not that I mind the images

but do we really need to see their backs too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
How do painted minis even count as a picture of the game?

Well you don't complain about playeraids, house rules etc. They are not a part of the original game. If pictures of painted minis should be ruled out, so should all the other stuff.

Quote:
That's like if I put pics of a card game where I've painted all the cards black so you can't see them.

Exept in the case of WOTR we paint the minis to easier tell them apart - and for the improved looks of course

Quote:
I thought pictures were supposed to be so people could see the game's components before buying.

Have you read my previous post above?

Quote:
*puts on flame proof suit*

No need for that - yet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
!
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
its not that I mind the images

but do we really need to see their backs too?

Oh, see, here's the problem. This is obviously a Blood Bowl referee mini who was mistakenly uploaded to the War of the Ring page instead. Maybe that's why there's so many images.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rowe
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know why I'm replying...
...but I had a sympathetic reaction to this journal entry. First, if Aldie, Derk and other site admins wish to approve these images, that is entirely their business. Their site, their hardware, their money. I contributed to Aldie's fundraiser because I felt there was a valuable service (to me) being provided, but I do not feel that I have any governance over how he wishes to handle the site.

Second, I simply feel that it is selfish to submit such huge images (in such quantities) to the WotR page, as these ultimately do take up storage space--storage space that the submitters are quite likely not paying for.

There are many sites devoted to painting miniatures. There is even a site devoted to painting miniatures from the LotR world. If you want to show off, post them there.

[End Rant.]

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally...
I think we should get rid of all those other annoying game entries and keep ONLY War of the Ring and related materials.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ok.... I will make my first post into a question:

Is bordgamegeek a gaming comunity or a database of games?

If it's just a database, why do we have geekgold, journals, geeklists and so on?

If it's a gaming comunity, why are people compaining about what other users interests are?

If it was such a big problem, don't you think that Aldie or Dirk would have spoken by now?

-------------------------------------------------------

Anyway.....if Aldie feels that pictures are taking up too much space/bandwith he's a smart enough guy to put a max file size of, say... 200k on picture submissions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
Keep the pictures coming
I've been painting my WotR minis also, lately, as I've described in my geekjournal, and I've found the pictures of painted minis to be incredibly valuable. I've referred to them at every step, seeing what color schemes worked for people, and deciding when to go out and create my own color scheme. My only issue with the mini pictures has been that there haven't been enough of them for me--I'd love to have even more examples to work from. As for just providing links, at least one set of links someone provided to such pictures is already dead, and if there are more, I haven't found them. I think that it makes more sense just to put the pictures in the pictures section.

In fact, I've been meaning to take pictures of my minis and post them. They aren't done yet, so I had intended to just post links in my journal to pictures of the unfinished minis, but once they are done, I'll probably post my pictures in the WotR picture section. I don't see how having more pictures of such minis is in any way a problem. Moreover, while there are plenty of places on the net for pictures of minis, these seem to be mainly for very detailed show pieces; I haven't found anyplace else with ANY pictures of WotR minis, let alone a place where such pictures are specifically gathered together. I certainly hope this discussion doesn't cause anyone to refrain from posting more mini pictures. This is not just about showcasing the painters artistic ability--it is about giving ideas to people who want to paint there own minis. While don't intend to post my mini image when they look just like other pictures already up there, when I have designed my own color scheme, I intend to post pictures, and I hope others do the same. Unless, of course, The powers that be here at BGG decide that they really want to restrict the images, in which case I'm sure the moderators will take care of the problem by rejecting pictures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
One more thing
I meant to say also: The question of the appropriate sizes of images is a separate issue. I encourage everyone to crop and resize their images appropriately. But this is a problem across the board, not just for WotR images. And while the latest images are large, and could use some cropping, I still think they are quite useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyman Hurd
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
approving pictures
Maybe it would help if the admins farmed out the responsibility of picture approval to a host of volunteers in the manner in which journals are seldom refereed by the editors (although they, of course, maintain the last word). There has been issues baout the quality of pictures and the fact that accept/reject notices are more or less silent. If there were more helpers, people could get back an image saing:

"Could you make this lower resolution and possibly crop to include the central piece of interest?"

The quality of picture would go up, user satisfaction increase and bandwidth requirements go down.

Just a suggestion...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Appleton
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
I can't think of a more appropriate place for a gamer to post a pic of there hard work then on boardgamegeeks.com. Just don't complain if I don't bother to look at it. Thats how I manage to keep if from bothering me. Don't look at em.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.