GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,778 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Cyclades» Forums » Rules

Subject: cyclades offering territory tokens rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Buby Buby
msg tools
What happens if a player makes unintentional an offer he can not afford?

What happens if three territory tokens are already in use and a forth island is left by own troops? How is this island marked or is it not allowed to move all troops from a forth island, if three territory tokens are already used?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The player should pay everything he can and then be disallowed to use the god they "won". Not even the free action.

Shame on the opponents for letting three islands go empty and unchallenged, but if this were to happen I'd just have the player use one of their plastic pieces to mark the island. Maybe turn a warrior on its side or a ship.

If you're playing 3-5 players you have an extra broken pillar piece you could use too.

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy W
United States
Wheatfield
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeede wrote:
The player should pay everything he can and then be disallowed to use the god they "won". Not even the free action.

This seems as fair as anything to me, if it really is unintentional.

I would suggest not mentioning this (or any other solution to overbids) during a rules explanation. I could see instances where, if this were stated as a rule, it would be to my benefit to purposely overbid to keep someone from being able to get their second metropolis.

I know the initial question was "unintentional overbids" but determining a bid was unintentional sounds like it comes with its own problems. I would worry that the person that overbids and finds they can get away with it will find an opportunity to do so again.

During rules explanation, I try to stress that you cannot overbid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You could avoid this by having players show the correct amount of money when they make an offering. Since making offers you cannot pay is not allowed, the fact that you have at least that amount of money is public information after that. Therefore it won't have a difference in anything and completely avoids this problem.

Any reason this would not work?

-Ropetus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I don't remember anything in the rules about something like this: player bids on god #3, which he can afford. Then player on god #1 uses the mythological creature that lets him steal half an opponents gold (or steal a priest), and now, when god #3 comes up, original player can no longer afford him, through no fault of his own.

We just played this as when god #3 came up, the player didn't get to use him, and instead got bumped down to apollo and didn't have to pay any of his original bid...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
d'oh! hopefully that's the only thing we're getting wrong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.