Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: "Officialness" of the WotR FAQ rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I got my first chance to play War of the Ring on Tuesday night, and, after getting home well past midnight, still felt the need to go online and check out some of the articles about it. I also decided to look at the FAQ that is linked off of the Geek page.

In doing so, I found a reference to something that happened in our game, and that according to the FAQ, we did incorrectly. The card in question was "I will go alone". The FAQ says:

Quote:
Q 'I Will Go Alone' - Can the FP player play this card if Gollum is the Guide simply to Heal one Corruption point, or must the FP player actually separate a Companion to play the card at all?

A You must separate a Companion, the separation is a necessary precondition: "separate... to ...". Note that this is different from the card "There and Back Again": "Separate[...]. If ...." where the two actions are disjoint.

So I emailed the guy who did this move, and he responded with this:

Quote:
There is a note in the rules about allowing partial uses of cards when
the
entirety can't be fulfilled. I'm not certain about the FAQ. It is
written
by a play-tester, not the designer, and several of the answers seem to
go
against the spirit of the rules.

Also later

Quote:
So, without the FAQ in front of me, I assumed I could use the card partially. Usually if there is a requirement for a card, it is in bold type at the top. 'I Will Go Alone' doesn't have any bold type on it. Also, if the FAQ writer thinks 'I Will Go Alone' and 'There and Back Again' read
any differently, he's insane. The only difference in the first paragraph is "Seperate a companion", and "Seperate one companion" (they both say "separate... to ..." allow them to move, it doesn't say "to..." heal, or whatever the second paragraph does, on either card). The difference is
that 'There and Back' paragraph two specifically says that "After this move..." which implies that the move had to be done; 'I Will Go Alone' says nothing about the move, so I interpret them as opposite from the FAQ writer.

Now not wanting to get hung up on this particular card, but rather the first concern he raised regarding the fact that this FAQ is being hosted, (written?), by one of the playtesters, and doesn't necessarily represent the views of the the designers. I didn't have an answer for that. Does anyone know if a more "official" FAQ is coming, or whether or not this FAQ has the full blessings of the designers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wrong answers
It's not unheard of to get wrong answers to rule questions. (Various surveys often show the IRS gets answers wrong to tax questions half the time). If you really believe the answer is wrong, I would resubmit the question, explaining your reasons for disagreeing and see if you get a revised answer. Sometimes that happened with Avalon Hill questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.