GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,778 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Race for the Galaxy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Hand Icon by Itself rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christine Biancheria
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On one of the development cards, there was just a hand icon for phase 2 (development). So you draw a card. But when? Automatically when anyone chooses development? Only if you develop? Before you develop or after?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rudram
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Christine Biancheria wrote:
On one of the development cards, there was just a hand icon for phase 2 (development). So you draw a card. But when? Automatically when anyone chooses development? Only if you develop? Before you develop or after?

Thanks.

You draw when the dev phase is called, before anything is built. If there is a phase 2, you get a card. Regardless of who called development.

Public works card draw is after you play a development.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Odinsday wrote:

Thanks.

You draw when the dev phase is called, before anything is built. If there is a phase 2, you get a card. Regardless of who called development.

Technically, I think you can do it at any time during the development phase.

Practically, there's no reason not to do it before development. (Unless, I suppose, you forget to - but you can still do it after.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iklinck wrote:
Odinsday wrote:

Thanks.

Practically, there's no reason not to do it before development. (Unless, I suppose, you forget to - but you can still do it after.)
Well, the rules do say at the start of the phase, so if one wants to be strict about that, then there ya go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Odinsday wrote:
Public works card draw is after you play a development.

Just to be 100% clear, it's after you play and pay for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
On one of the development cards, there was just a hand icon for phase 2 (development). So you draw a card. But when? Automatically when anyone chooses development.

At the start of the Develop phase, as indicated on both the card summary and page 9 of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nishadham
United Kingdom
Bristol
Avon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only if you develop?

AFAIK, there's no power that relies on you choosing a phase.
[except trade powers, but trade's not a phase]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H J

London
msg tools
badge
mb
I have a similar question, which I can't quit figure out if it's been answered - can I draw the extra card even if I don't intend to develop or am unable to?

So I choose explore, another chap chooses to develop. I have interstellar bank in my hand, but don't wish to develop. Can I still draw the free card?

This came up yesterday when I was trying to teach a friend (who said he'll buy it, incidentally).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HatchetJob wrote:
can I draw the extra card even if I don't intend to develop or am unable to?

So I choose explore, another chap chooses to develop. I have interstellar bank in my hand, but don't wish to develop. Can I still draw the free card?

Draw the free card from what, Public Works? No, you must develop to receive the Public Works rebate. If you are talking about Interstellar Bank, it's in your hand (not in play), so it has no effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H J

London
msg tools
badge
mb
Sorry, I made a mistake. In the game, Instellar Bank was in my tableau.

I had a brain fart during the game and thought to myself 'If I want to leach off his develop phase to get the IB bonus card, do I actually have to put a development into my tableau before I can draw the card?'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HatchetJob wrote:
'If I want to leach off his develop phase to get the IB bonus card, do I actually have to put a development into my tableau before I can draw the card?'

No, Interstellar Bank draw is a freebie, you get the card at the start of any develop phase called by anyone, no strings attached.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H J

London
msg tools
badge
mb
Thanks. I got it right when I explained it - phew.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
iklinck wrote:

Technically, you have to do it at the start of the phase (as mentioned by Tom above).

Practically, anybody who strictly enforces the "start of the phase" part is an a**. If people forget it in the games I'm playing, I just give them a card. Even if it's the next phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.