GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,524 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Buffalo Wings» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules Questions & Answers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J.D. Webster
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

The game is officially out on the streets now. I'm standing by to answer any and all rules questions.

J.D. Webster

Designer, BW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Webster
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Missing scenario note:

This was inadvertently left out of the rules. All historical scenarios are fifteen turns in length (1 minute of time), same as the log sheet capacity.

At the player's option, if both sides agree, scenario length may be extended for a second 15 turns. In no case should a game exceed 30 turns in length.

Rationale - after 1 or 2 minutes of airplanes swirling around, they would attract the attention of other enemies in the area and one or both sides might be attacked by new aircraft. So one minute is the normal dogfight time and two would be the maximum. After that you can assume some more aircraft are going to show and alter the dynamics of the fight.

J.D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Webster
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bomber rules left out by accident.

All bombers have a defense value of 5.

Bomber defensive guns have a critical hit rating of "4".

J.D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Webster
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule 3.0, section A is in error.

The correct order of movement is lowest modified roll first, to highest modified roll last.

J.D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Webster
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The last piece of Errata - I hope.

Hopefully - this is the last piece of errata for the BW rules set (knock on wood). Its been eyeballed now by many experienced air game players.

Scenario 16.2 makes mention of "fixed trios parameters". Soviet Fixed fighting trios is a special rule that comes into play in some of the additional scenarios available for BW that have not yet been published and which were cut from the magazine mix due to space limitations along with the rule. To wit - the parameters still need explaining.

16.2.2 d) Soviet "Fixed Trio" set up parameters - Fixed trio wing men may set up in the same hex or on the same hexside as, or in an adjacent hex or hexside as, a leader aircraft with the same facing, speed, and altitude as that leader. Wing man aircraft may not set up in a location that is ahead of the leader's aircraft direction wise (abeam and to the rear of said leader is okay).

Cheers,

J.D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Webster
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Combat table, shot modifiers

Ignore the gun shot modifiers for inverted flight and negative gee effects - the BW rules do not define these situations. These are vestiges of the quick start rules on which the BW rules were created from.

Example of movement - banking.

Ditto for the comments on banking in the movement example, the BW rules ignore banking requirements. This was another vestige of the QS rules which do track banking.

cheers,

J.D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Webster
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Altitude band definitions - in the rules, the UH band says 42,000 feet and higher. It should say 43,000 and higher to match the data cards.

J.D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously, who edits over at ATO? Why does every game have this much errata?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Webster
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In my lifetime of wargaming - this is really a miniscule amount of errata for a typical product from any game company.

For an ATO product - this is well below their worst case and maybe right up their with their best case. You have to remember that magazine games are at a disadvantage compared to boxed games. Magazine games are up against a time-line and the developers and playtesters basically only get one chance to try and spot everything they humanly can. Boxed games can be in development for years - and yet, they too often involve a lot of errata. So - not sure why you're taking a swipe at them when its quite a normal state of affairs in the hobby.

As designer, I share some blame as well - trying to craft a simplified set of rules out of an established standing set of rules opened the door for things to easily slip by - and they did.

Regardless though - the problem with games is not the appearance of errata, every game has some, the problem comes when no one addresses the errata and leaves gamers to fend for themselves, or when companies try to pretend there is no errata. You won't have that problem with me. I want players to be able to enjoy the game.

I'll provide answers as quick as possible.

:-)

JD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jdakapluto wrote:
this is well below their worst case and maybe right up their with their best case...

...So - not sure why you're taking a swipe at them when its quite a normal state of affairs in the hobby.
Now that's damning with faint praise... far better to complain than to watch the situation grow worse as everyone accepts more & more errors. While I'm willing to accept errors, I'm not happy about them, and I don't want it thought I am.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Webster
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Errata
I agree Wolf,

Nobody likes errata. Wish it didn't happen, but it does. But just taking a side swipe at ATO in general seems a bit unfair. The implication of the comment was that ATO editing was below par in the hobby and that BW had sufficiently high errata to elicit such a complaint. I don't think either is true.

I don't work for ATO but in their defense they are quick to respond to errata and try to provide answers so the gamers can get on with gaming. A lot of companies don't even do that, which was the point I was trying to make.

PS - Wolf should be "Wufl".

JD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jdakapluto wrote:
The implication of the comment was that ATO editing was below par in the hobby and that BW had sufficiently high errata to elicit such a complaint.
Read some reviews of S&T or WaW games, you'll see exactly the same complaints. If more people find mistakes, it's because more people have read the rules...
Quote:
PS - Wolf should be "Wufl".

I work on an ICT Helpdesk, answering phonecalls & email. I get Wulf, Wolf, Wilf, Will, Rolf, Ralph, and even, for some unaccountable reason, Paul... I gave up bothering. If anyone calls & asks for someone and we don't have anyone of that name, it'll be me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Webster
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf,

I'm well aware of the past and WaW was among the worst. S&T and GDW varied depending on the maturity of the base rules being used.

Here, I guess I'm trying to say that time spent with vanilla "complaining" could have simply been used to ask a question that was still unanswered, if one can be found.

Complaints about ATO editing should be on the ATO site, right? I'm not sure the complainer had actually read the BW rules yet.

Cheers,

J.D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jdakapluto wrote:
Here, I guess I'm trying to say that time spent with vanilla "complaining" could have simply been used to ask a question that was still unanswered, if one can be found.
Welcome to the Internet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Webster
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Rules Questions & Answers - Bombers - Movement order
This is not stated in the rules that I can find, - but in any scenario with bombers, the bombers always move first. They don't roll initiative as fighters do.

JD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Takashi Ishida
Japan
Abiko
Chiba Prefecture
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Mr. Webster.

I'm Japanese wargamer to play this game hopefully in October.

3.0 says "AC will activate and perform their movement in the order of highest result first to the lowest result last". But, according to the Pilot Quality DRM, this sounds very awkward. Is this paragraph correct ?

10.0 Turn 1 Finn
" The Finnish player selects max power gaining 6 accel points ..."
I could not find out this result from ADC. I think the power at this speed 5.5 in this levels 9800" is 3. Is this correct ?

I'd appreciate your response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Webster
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you download the Addenda / errata posted here you will see the corrections to these problems and more.

1. Initiative should be low roll first, high roll last.

2. The example is in error. 3 is the proper power.

JD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Takashi Ishida
Japan
Abiko
Chiba Prefecture
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Mr. Webster.

I'm looking forward to playing this month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David M
United States
Huron
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JD:

Years late, but still made it to the party! Picked up a copy from "Fine Games for Players and Collectors", a fine source indeed, and I'm using it as the gateway to the entire FW series (as you no doubt intended).

But I do have a couple questions.

1. On the "Combat Odds and Damage Table" there is an asterisk on "less than or equal to 1" but I can't find another asterisk to tell me what it means. I'm suspicious it means that the target is destroyed. Is this correct?

2. On the B239 ADC under Notes it says the 0.30 cal gun was changed: "By June 194, the Finnish had replaced these with a second 0.50 cal gun." I guess I'm kinda wondering what the last digit of that calendar year was supposed to be...unless the change actually happened in the Second Century AD! laugh

3. On the LaGG-3 the "Power vs Speed Chart" shows two numbers separated by a slash. Is this to indicate one turn gets the lower number and the next the higher, or is there some other meaning?

4. Last, another question. So far I've played that decel/accel calculations are performed after the turn is entirely completed so that damage resulting in increased drag (to a wing, for example) has effect on the very next turn. Is that correct, or does the damage go in the next turn's entry to apply the following turn?

Thanks for all your support!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.