GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,255 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
1 Posts

A Brief History of the World» Forums » General

Subject: Ideas for Teaching History with History of the World? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Wasserman
United States
Morgantown
WV
flag msg tools
I don't think he would like that.
badge
"A single action or event is interesting, not because it is explainable, but because it is true." - Goethe
mbmbmbmbmb
goo This is cross-posted on the A Brief History of the World forum, so to consolidate the threads, please reply to the other thread goo

Brainstorm fodder! What activities (very broadly defined) can enrich students' engagement with history while playing A Brief History of the World (or historical board games more generally)?

An example of an "activity" that surely enhances learning is asking students why they make the decisions that they do, as it gets them to think reflexively about their actions and to make explicit the principles by which they are making decisions.

Brief background about myself: Not often enough, I get to teach gifted young people (ranging from ages 8 to 17, or grades 4 to 11). More often than not, the hands-on, interactive, exploratory classes that I teach are focused on boardgames, like this economics class for 6th-7th graders. One of my constant goals when teaching, as with other activities, is to try to improve what I'm doing, hence this post.

I like using A Brief History of the World in my historical boardgaming classes because of how broad an overview it presents on the rise and fall of major "empire"-like entities. Students with pre-existing historical knowledge can make connections between what they know and what they see happening in the game, but those without this foundation (who are many, by no fault of their own) don't get the same experience. One idea I've had, but haven't yet been able to try, is to have students play once through and then research the entities in the game and develop modifications, e.g. special abilities for different nations, changes to the game board, or additional event cards. Class time and research materials (and potentially research skills) are severely limiting factors for this activity, however! It would be fun for students to get to try out their modifications and see how it alters things.

But I'm struggling to think of more creative ideas, so I wanted to open the topic up to BGG!

goo This is cross-posted on the A Brief History of the World forum, so to consolidate the threads, please reply to the other thread goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.