GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,469 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Variants

Subject: Power Of The Day -- Energizer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ENERGIZER Planning/Intermediate/Optional

Gets Points For Ships

You have the power of mass-energy conversion. As a main player or ally in an encounter, after cards are played but before they are revealed, you may use this power convert some of your ships into energy by placing them in the warp. You may take your ships from the cone or colonies, but you must leave at least one ship in the encounter. For each ship you convert, you will add 2 points to your side's total in the challenge when cards are revealed. After the encounter outcome, if your side won, you may convert the difference in points between the totals back at the rate of 4 points per ship, returning the ships to colonies from the warp. You may not convert back more ships than you energized in the encounter. A Negotiate revealed by the opposing side is treated as an Attack 0 for this calculation only.

History: The Energizers have learned to release and control the bio-chemical energies of their own bodies. The power created has proven successful in defeating those who do not understand their own worth.

FLARE

Planning
Wild: As main player, after cards are played but before they are revealed, you may put any number of your ships from home colonies into the warp, to add two points per ship to your total when cards are revealed.

Reveal
Super: You may convert ships after cards are revealed.

Commentary: This is a combat power from Matt Stone's set. When Phil posted his Kamikaze power, I had a nagging feeling it was familiar to me. I knew I saw something like it before, but I couldn't place where. By coincidence, not design, this power is posted so soon after Phil's. This power is stronger than Phil's because it works as an ally and allows for getting some ships back from the warp. Note I'm just saying "stronger", not necessarily "better".

This power isn't quite my cup of tea. It's nice to have a few extra encounter points, but I'm not thrilled with the idea of risking ships. My thoughts on Amoeba are similar to Energizer. However, I do agree it is a nice power, and it is available in my set for those who are inclined to enjoy playing it. I try not to let my personal bias of my approach to the game prevent a power someone else created to join my set. Doesn't always work, but Energizer made it . I like Phil's Kamikaze as well. Energizer offers you a little protection against Fungus, Vampire, Void, and other similar powers. This must be where that same thought came from in my particular opinion on Phil's Kamikaze.

Obviously I have more tolerance for great strength of powers than others.

Gerald Katz
Don't forget to tip the Butler!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
↓ first, last name ↓
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
This power appeared in Encounter magazine, vol. 2, no. 2., in a slightly different version: converted tokens added 4 points, and could then be converted back for 8 points. Other than that, it was the same power with the same wording. The power was by Dr. Robert Destro and/or Nick Sauer and/or Mike Arms.

And yes, it's not a bad power at all. And it's also weaker than my Kamikaze in some ways: one, my Kamikaze effectively adds 3 for each sacrificed ship; and two, these sacrifices are made *after* cards are revealed, so you never need to sacrifice more than the minimum needed to win the encounter. Therefore the getting-ships-back aspect of the Energizer doesn't even make sense with the Kamikaze.

And also, if you "energize" ships as an ally, and the main player you allied with played an N (or if Emotion Control is played), you're screwed - you put those ships into the warp for nothing, and can't get them back. And of course, if you "energize" ships not already in the encounter, and lose anyway, you wind up losing more ships than you would have without using the power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it. it sounds like it'd be fun to try out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.