GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,483 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
36 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG General

Subject: Share your LOVE for Profile Information!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christiaan Meijer
Netherlands
Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read many threads where people are dissapointed at the lacking amount of profile information that is posted by our fellow geeks. shake I myself was also too lazy/uninteresting/crappy to fill out my own profile information and give a small peek inside my life (which I should actually be writing a book about). Anyway I found that once I had finally posted a bit of info about myself that I felt closer to the BGG community. meeple I now see what they were all talking about and would like everyone else to follow the example and fill in or add to their profile.
To stimulate this movement, give others who took the time and effort to make their profile a little love kiss by giving them a thumb or some GG (if your a GG millionair). Please note that it might have been extra difficult for some of our geeks because English is not their native language.

Cheers from a PROUD but noob BGG fan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice profile!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Christiaan! We've all been newbies once, trying to find out what to do on this fantastic site and what's possible... just keep it up. And, most importantly - have fun!

Thanks for sharing your little story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raiko Puust
Estonia
Keila
Harju Maakond
flag msg tools
designer
Raiko & Agnes Forever! Feel the Love and Feel the Warmth. Happiness is 2 hugs plus 3 kisses every hour...:D (http://mrboardgames.wordpress.com/)
badge
Addicted Estonian gamer with big heart and direct winning attitude. Need any help with something, just ask. Need some GG for something, just ask. Need something to be translated, just ask. Meanwhile, behave! :D (http://mrboardgames.wordpress.com/)
mbmbmbmbmb
Read my profile.
Still working on that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to have more written information on my profile. It took forever to write it, but I never archived it and one day I edited it and put in a bad character, and blew it all away...So now I just have a few less things and some photo's, and you can read my gamer story in my GoTW thread.

Welcome to BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm already rather uncomfortable with the sparse amount of accurate information I've shared with this community so far, what MORE do you want?

And yes, I realize that you probably don't give a rat's ass about any information I might give, but still, remember that (thanks to those google dickweeds, at the very least) regardless of the delete account function, at least fragments of all the information you share here will most likely be available to your freaking grandchildren (btw: If you read this 50 years from now, stop it and give your grandfather more respect, some rum -no, not this stupid space-rum, real rum- and a hooker, goddamnit).

The point is, every time you post something here (or anywhere else, for that matter), or update your personal information, or give away anything at all, you run the risk of it being remembered for as long as the internet exists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
I'm already rather uncomfortable with the sparse amount of accurate information I've shared with this community so far, what MORE do you want?

And yes, I realize that you probably don't give a rat's ass about any information I might give, but still, remember that (thanks to those google dickweeds, at the very least) regardless of the delete account function, at least fragments of all the information you share here will most likely be available to your freaking grandchildren (btw: If you read this 50 years from now, stop it and give your grandfather more respect, some rum -no, not this stupid space-rum, real rum- and a hooker, goddamnit).

The point is, every time you post something here (or anywhere else, for that matter), or update your personal information, or give away anything at all, you run the risk of it being remembered for as long as the internet exists.

Then you probably shouldn't have registered in the first place. It's your choice what to put in there... as long as you don't include your address, phone number, full name and so on, there's nothing to be afraid of. And: this is no pr0n site - why fear anybody getting to know about your love for games and socializing with friends? That's the whole idea behind the 'Geek, IIRC.

I for one don't mind standing up for something I love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Flamin_Jesus wrote:

I get you, don't worry. I would explain why, but then I'd have to give away a personal detail about my life.

I still love everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Engoduun wrote:

Then you probably shouldn't have registered in the first place. It's your choice what to put in there... as long as you don't include your address, phone number, full name and so on, there's nothing to be afraid of. And: this is no pr0n site - why fear anybody getting to know about your love for games and socializing with friends? That's the whole idea behind the 'Geek, IIRC.

I for one don't mind standing up for something I love.

Maybe I shouldn't have, but given the fact that just about anything you do on the internet runs the same risk (To be perfectly clear, I'm not trying to bash BGG, I'm very fond of the site and of its... colorful community) it's an unwinnable battle I've given up on many, many moons ago.

That being said, I think it's only prudent to remember (Or, for people who may not be aware of those facts, to point out) what potential complications come with revealing personal information on the intertubes.

Still, I've stood up for things I love for as long as I remember (and I'm pretty sure there are more than a few friends of mine who'd tell you that they're getting sick and tired of my incessant shilling, probably all of them), but I don't know if I want to stand up for "I hate A" or "B should really get a life" or "Fuck C" 10 years from now.

Who knows, maybe at some point in the future I'm going to be a conservative prick trying to disintegrate any semblance of social equality left in our society, I'm pretty sure that a good number of the posts I've made here in the past won't be particularly endearing to my fellow partners in crime.

So, be careful, 's all I'm saying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, thats the way to move

yes it would be intresting to see if people like the heavy amount of info one might have put into onces profile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I value my anonymity too much. Plus once you have a somewhat high public profile job (teacher, preacher, politician, actor, athlete) you risk everything by having one bad day when you post something that offends someone. You also risk stalkers which some of my colleges have have had to deal with. In the past, I was all too eager to share anything about my past, and hide nothing but there was never a paper trail to be found in the future. Today it is too easy to find digital traces to a previous mistake so I do my best to limit them. No public facebook or myspace account and no real discussion of personal info on BGG.

Most people don't realize that there are several websites that keep archieves of internet information so even when you take your picture down from your own personal website, it is still probably indexed and cataloged somewhere online. This goes for facebook and myspace entries as well as BGG...I often find it easier to find people, conversations, and games on BGG via google search than I do via BGG's search engine.

I have seen too many train-wrecks in my time to take the risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christiaan Meijer
Netherlands
Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone! Please! Do not take that what I wrote too serious or as a MUST. It's just a request for those who are still in doubt to fill out some information. If you are not comfortable or just don't want to add information to your profile then that is fine, but I am just giving a shout out to the geeks that don't have a problem with spilling a little about themselves.
btw, my information is not at the privacy level where it could be postive or negative.

So see it as something positive and let's not start a negative thread with people discussing their own privacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christiaan Meijer
Netherlands
Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
binraix wrote:
Read my profile.
Still working on that...

I read most of your profile and noticed that I had seen a lot of your pictures come by at the modding section of the site. Your profile is very extensive! Aswesome.

regards,

Christiaan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
meijerc wrote:
Everyone! Please! Do not take that what I wrote too serious or as a MUST. It's just a request for those who are still in doubt to fill out some information. If you are not comfortable or just don't want to add information to your profile then that is fine, but I am just giving a shout out to the geeks that don't have a problem with spilling a little about themselves.
btw, my information is not at the privacy level where it could be postive or negative.

So see it as something positive and let's not start a negative thread with people discussing their own privacy.

Actually, speaking only for my response, it was probably a cry of despair and a little envy, wishing I could be more open about things...I enjoy the days of telling others about things I thought relevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christiaan Meijer
Netherlands
Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnyspys wrote:
meijerc wrote:

Actually, speaking only for my response, it was probably a cry of despair and a little envy, wishing I could be more open about things...I enjoy the days of telling others about things I thought relevant.

I gave you a thumb for being honest and open!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
binraix wrote:
Read my profile.
Still working on that...

What - you're trying to make it... even longer? Coolness! I like your profile a lot. Mine is nothing compared to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christiaan Meijer
Netherlands
Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Engoduun wrote:
binraix wrote:
Read my profile.
Still working on that...

What - you're trying to make it... even longer? Coolness! I like your profile a lot. Mine is nothing compared to that.

Sargent Maku Ventor,

Your profile is impressive too! It makes mine look feeble and punny. Though I must say that a lot of the profiles I see through this thread are all a gr8 inspiration for mine. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks...modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Flamin_Jesus wrote:

I dearly hope & plan it will be.

My profile serves two main purposes: 1) a FAQ for random people to make our coversatilns more functional, an 2) a list of cut'n'paste snippets for quoting or citing in threads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mb
I agree with fleshing out the profile with more information.

I guess I am never really too concerned with being remembered by what I post, as I try to only post things that reflect who I am and what I am about. I rarely, if ever get involved in inflamatory discussions on the Internet, so I really have nothing to worry about.

I enjoy meeting BGG'ers in real life when my wife and I travel. By posting information about who we are, it makes it easier to meet cool like-minded individuals. SOme member of my game group have actually initiated contact based on my BGG info. To me, that is cool.

A website devoted to board games is made that much better when it can facilitate people connecting to play board games. I love the site, but, it is really only a tool to help me maximize playing great games with great people. To that end, I am very thankful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bixby wrote:
I agree with fleshing out the profile with more information.

I guess I am never really too concerned with being remembered by what I post, as I try to only post things that reflect who I am and what I am about. I rarely, if ever get involved in inflamatory discussions on the Internet, so I really have nothing to worry about.

I enjoy meeting BGG'ers in real life when my wife and I travel. By posting information about who we are, it makes it easier to meet cool like-minded individuals. SOme member of my game group have actually initiated contact based on my BGG info. To me, that is cool.

A website devoted to board games is made that much better when it can facilitate people connecting to play board games. I love the site, but, it is really only a tool to help me maximize playing great games with great people. To that end, I am very thankful.

Very well said, sir!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eurojuegos Buenos Aires
Argentina
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree about sharing something about yourself. I met some nice people here just by checking the profile behind a reply to a thread. I started with my image gallery until I can find a way to say something about myself in decent english.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/images/user/311230/pastor_mora
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christiaan Meijer
Netherlands
Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well so far so good on the English part!
Just start writing in your profile and edit as you read it again. That tends to help with putting up some information about yourself that you want to share.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I used to have more written information on my profile. It took forever to write it, but I never archived it and one day I edited it and put in a bad character, and blew it all away...So now I just have a few less things and some photo's, and you can read my gamer story in my GoTW thread.

Welcome to BGG.

off to save what I've put in there now ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.