GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,522 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

Battletech Introductory Box Set» Forums » General

Subject: So wait...you cannot buy this anymore rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
https://www.twitch.tv/gamerhudson
badge
https://www.instagram.com/gamer.hudson/
mbmbmbmbmb
Was reading some threads in here and as usual it never ceases to amaze me that when I want to start something up again I missed the boat

And what is the difference between this and that Total War expansion I see listed?

So basically this game is dead once more...(and no I dont want old boxes I wanted the newest re-released version)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ugh found the answer on Amazon never mind

Quote:
Do not pay more than $50 for this it is being phased out
By
James Drurey Eubanks II

Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: CBT Introductory Box Set (Classic Battletech) (Game)
The CBT Introductory Box set is being phased out to be replaced in the coming months by the 25th Anniversary Battletech Box Set. That being said the original Box set is well worth the money for under $50. It contains 24 plastic mechs to use for playing, an introductory rule book, an introductory history book and a painting/tactics guide to miniatures as well as large paper maps. The plastic mechs are unpainted but you can play with them right out of the box. If you can find this for less than $50 its worth it. However unless you are a serous collector there Is no reasonable explanation to pay the exploited prices listed here on amazon. Also this is not a rare item in any sense of the word and is not worth more than $50.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 25th (now pretty much 26th) anniversary set has met various delays but is expected to be out yet this year. Not to sound critical of you, but this delay has been a source of frustration to everyone, including the publishers, who recognize how important having an introductory set is to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Heac0ck
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battletech will never die!!!

Some of the old boxed sets are a superior product and what they lack documentation-wise can be downloaded free at www.classicbattletech.com

Total Warfare is the 'bible' for the game, which has its own painting guide that surpasses the Intro Boxed Set booklet.

I will be happy to sell you the maps from my IBS.... devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But is Total Warfare a rulebook for the game? or an addon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Heac0ck
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Total Warfare has all of the rules to play, plus more. It combines the rules for *deep breath* mechs, buildings, vehicles, VTOLs, Areospace, Protomechs, Battle armor, Infantry, artillery.....along with loads (some say too much) extras including the painting/modelling guide and fiction.

It combines the rules from Battletech, Areotech, Citytech all into one iteration of the rules. It includes stats for all of the canon weapons and equipment to date.

Construction rules are found in the new Classic Battletech: Tech Manual

If you are familar with the rules then this is the way to go. If feel like you need a simplified version to get you started download the Intro rules and go from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Berg
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's something you can do...

Download the Quick Start Rules:

http://www.classicbattletech.com/downloads/QSR_BattleTech_EN...

If those are too simple, then grab the Introductory rules and you are now up to speed on 'Mech combat and some basic customization rules up through the 3025 era if you want to design your own (technology tree right before the Clans show up):

http://www.classicbattletech.com/downloads/CBT_Introductory_...

Record sheets are included, but you can download more at classicbattletech.com or download something free, like Solaris Skunk Werks (http://www.solarisskunkwerks.com/downloads) and print out your own. The above links are what you'll find in the Introductory Boxed Set. You should now have all you need for 'Mech vs 'Mech combat. Focus on that first before worrying about combined arms battles with vehicles, aircraft, etc.

Get ahold of some miniature robots and a map. I noticed you own the Heroscape RotV set. That's perfect. Grab the two Zettian Guards perhaps, or anything else robotic that fits on a Heroscape tile -- and build a small battlefield, trying to use as many pieces as you can (and figure out if you want the green-colored tiles to be either grass or perhaps light woods even...it
'll be easier if it's mostly grass, you'll create a bigger field that way). Create some elevation by using two stacked Heroscape tiles to equal one level in Battletech. I like to use two stacked six-tile pieces and then two stack two more single or three-sided pieces on top of that and call it a hill, which has an effective height of Level 2 terrain and equal to the same height as a 'Mech. You're basically trying to create some LOS issues to make it more interesting.

Then slug it out between some mechs or maybe even a four vs four lance conflict to get a sense of the amount of dice rolling, table look-ups, damage allocation, even the amount of time involved for a simple battle.

This is what I've done and it works pretty well. As a result, I've tried to acquire more Heroscape terrain as cheaply as I can and I've started buying Mechwarrior figures based on the Heroclix system because many of the units can be acquiredly cheaply compared to what many enthusiasts typically use that are much more authentic...and they're already painted, and they torso-twist. The bases are larger than an invididual Heroscape tile, but not so much to where it's unplayable. I'm not at the point yet where I want my minis to look exactly like what I'm supposed to be piloting, but I do try to buy proxys that look somewhat close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hines
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
I'm afraid the DEFLECTOR Shield is..... Operational!
mbmbmbmbmb
Deroche wrote:
I noticed you own the Heroscape RotV set. That's perfect. Grab the two Zettian Guards perhaps, or anything else robotic that fits on a Heroscape tile -- and build a small battlefield, trying to use as many pieces as you can (and figure out if you want the green-colored tiles to be either grass or perhaps light woods even...it
'll be easier if it's mostly grass, you'll create a bigger field that way). Create some elevation by using two stacked Heroscape tiles to equal one level in Battletech. I like to use two stacked six-tile pieces and then two stack two more single or three-sided pieces on top of that and call it a hill, which has an effective height of Level 2 terrain and equal to the same height as a 'Mech. You're basically trying to create some LOS issues to make it more interesting.

I bought a lot of Heroscape terrain on Ebay for about 10 cents a hex and made some really nice terrain. I also bought some mechwarrior units but they are about twice the size of Classic Battletech mechs. Also, a lot of mechwarrior units take 2 hexes of Heroscape terrain, so I don't use them for battletech. The mechwarrior pieces are nice though and I saw a demo on http://revver.com/video/1377142/hex-bases-for-mechwarrior-fi... were someone had cutoff the standard mechwarrior bases and made new hex bases with Sculpey (baked clay). Looked REALLY NICE and you can just us the mechwarrior units that fit on a single heroscape hex. You will have a large, cheap, nicely painted battletech army. I'm looking at trying this out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Berg
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a game tonight with a 22x19 Heroscape battlefield and several Level 2 hills, etc. The Mechwarrior/clix figures had no trouble standing/mostly-fitting on any of the tiles (the rearmost portion of the stand overlapped a little bit to the rear -- when a couple mechs got near each other in side by side hexes, there was still room).

The only issue might be using Heroscape water tiles when they are individually isolated. No way a Mechwarrior/clix figure is fitting in that, so my water spots are multiple hexes and I have to fudge it a bit when units stand there.

That is an awesome video. Thanks for sharing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Johnston
United States
North Liberty
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleZone wrote:
Was reading some threads in here and as usual it never ceases to amaze me that when I want to start something up again I missed the boat

And what is the difference between this and that Total War expansion I see listed?

So basically this game is dead once more...(and no I dont want old boxes I wanted the newest re-released version)

You can always trade for my copy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Garner
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
also Game Developer
badge
Personal LnLT Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just placed a pre-order for the 25th Anniversary Boxed Set at Barnes and Nobles website yesterday, for under $40. The due date currently says August 4th, though I cannot find any information from Catalysts to support this. Still, I now have a pre-order placed, so I'll get a copy sooner or later. w00t!!

The new Hex Pack (Rivers and Lakes) is due out that same day, maybe we'll get a two-fer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the CBT forums, the 25th anniversary set was being demonstrated at GenCon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Garner
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
also Game Developer
badge
Personal LnLT Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI - My order at B&N was cancelled a couple of days ago. No explanation was given, nor was the pre-order allowed to stand. I'm rather disappointed, not only for the misleading pre-order option, but because Catalysts is already a year behind on this one and it won't be long before it is the 27th Anniversary!

Anyway, my apologies if I got anyones hopes up. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the Battletech forums:
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,7047...

Quote:
I am currently AT GenCon, and was told at the CGL booth that there is still some sort of manufacturing issue holding up the starter box. They did, however, at least have a couple on display, and the new maps are lovely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in starting Battletech as well, but have never played. It sounds like the Total War book has _all_ the rules, so should one own that and the 25th Anniversary intro set?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Got a few more questions now.

If this is 'classic' battletech, is there another battletech version also currently in production? What are the differences?

Also, I've heard that this runs long and some folks have comments that say 'won't play with anything beyond a Lance.' Assuming a Lance is a mech type, my guess is that it's has a lot of wounds and games with it or greater classes can outstay their welcome. Any thoughts on the game length?

Finally, can this be played multiplayer? How about teams of two or three per side?
Will I need Total Warfare for that? How many different factions does this boxset provide minis for?

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kendelhardt
United States
Clarksville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I discussed this with catalyst at dragon con. They said they were dropping the "classic" part of the title, some of their manuals had it gone already. He confirmed the delays with the new box, think he said early November. The new boxed set was targeted for $50 and had 2 new mechs and some better maps and terrain, IIRC.

I'm pretty stoked for this, seeing it being played at dragon con in grand style reawakened all those memories :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be crystal clear - will the 25th anniversary set which has been delayed contain plastic mechs? Yes or no? Thanks in advance for the info!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.