GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,524 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

World of Warcraft: The Boardgame» Forums » Variants

Subject: Quest List, Free Moving, and Blue monster solution? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Bredin
United States
Holt
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So I've been thinking about how to fix some of the different problems I personally have run into with this game. I love how the game plays.. but whenever I play with new people.. I always find myself advising them to do the same things.. and make the absolute most out of their turns. So to fix these problems I am considering the following...

Blue Monsters: Every time I play this.. I have never really enjoyed that these were part of the game. Yes they can steer you away from an otherwise simple and profitable quest.. and maybe that has a place in the game. However every time I play this.. I find one side gets hindered more then the other by these. To lose an entire round due to an unlucky couple of blue spawns.. not to mention completely needless energy loss, or health loss.. cause you to probably have to spend the next turn resting.. is HUGE.. and I really don't think it should be that bad.

My solution: Make challenge actions against blue mobs free actions. You would still have to fight your way through them.. and it would still be more beneficial to ignore them.. but you wouldn't lose as much time (which is the most valuable thing in the game) to an unlucky spawn. Also it'd make those quests that spawn blue crap on your other active quests.. much less of a hindrance. As another possible solution, you could always make these worth 2xp. This would promote more of a 'grind' aspect to the game, that wasn't as efficient in the game.. but certainly did happen.

Free moving: Every game I play.. I find that I am constantly wary of trying to best position myself for the next turn. If I can fight something that is two spaces away from my next quest.. I can fight every turn.. and make significant progress. On the flip side.. if I have to spend a turn just moving there, then fight.. then another turn moving.. then another turn to fight.. thats like twice as much time.. and I'm only doing half as good as I 'could' be. This starts to become quite annoying to constantly worry about.

My Solution: Every turn each character gets 1-2 free movement squares. I haven't really decided which would be better.. but I'm leaning towards 2, as it really sucks to get a quest that is far away, and realize you have to spend 2+ turns just to GET there. Additionally I had consider not going with free movement, but going with other ways to increase movement... such as if you plan to take a challenge action.. reducing your pool by one dice for each additional move... or if you don't plan to take on a challenge that turn, you would have to spend health/energy (can only do this once) for 2 per space moved. I think this would really help players that get quests farther away just out of randomness, and give them a few options to make it less impactful in the long run.

Quest list: My idea for this came from the random draws of quests, and the clearly obvious "good" quests and the clearly obvious "crappy quests". Wouldn't it be nice if when you pick up a quest.. you could choose what you wanted to do? This would take quite a bit of tweaking.. as there may develop a clear pattern as to which to do in what order. I had considering making players go back to town to receive new quests, so they didn't just take the quest they are right next to each time. I had also thought about listing actual rewards for the quests too. Such as, a far quest that gives a 2 triangle reward might give you a scimitar, or a good wand (your choice), and a quest really close to town would give you a dull blade or a short bow. The close ones would be easy to do.. but would reward the crappier equipment. This would also help with that I always seem to have one player per team that no matter how hard they try.. the barely ever get the equipment they need to be competitive.

So obviously the last one is a lot of work, and I haven't done that yet.. but it could solve a lot of problems.. and make it a bit less frustratingly random at times.

Please feel free to rip into my ideas.. I'm more or less bringing these up to hopefully weed out any problems before I give them a real go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Lavigne
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played nearly as much as I'd like to, but I'll toss out my thoughts..

Blue Monsters: Pick up the Shadows of War expansion. It's small, adds a bit more variety to the characters (ie, more talents and spells available so there more 'options' in how to play each character), and addresses your (and most people's) complain with the blue monsters with a new deck of blue quests. From memory, a blue quest card will be face-up on the table at all times, with two blue monsters depicted on it, each with their own reward; whoever kills one of the two monsters shown immediatly receives the reward and a new card takes its place. Ie,

In this way, some of the blue monsters gain a possible incentive to kill, while others still remain speedbumps to slow you down -- plus adding the pressure/decision of wanting to kill the blue monster near you for the reward before the other team gets it. I prefer this to adding a flat reward to every blue monster, as the latter makes levelling your character become rather quick and easy.

Free moving: the idea of having 1 'free' action each turn that can only be used to move is interesting. I have a feeling that 2 extra moves would be too much -- the game would be over that much faster, in terms of actual game terms. I'd like to hear how this works out for you, in either case.

Quest list: Making a list is probably overdoing it. How about just having players draw 2 or 3 quest cards, allowing them to keep one? The extras can either be discarded or reshuffled back in, as you prefer. That would be a lot simpler while still maintaining some sense of randomness (which is good, as it could otherwise devolve into newer players feeling like they have no chance to win since they don't know the optimal questing pattern to take).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Stone
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
According to the movement.

What about a SPLIT of the MOVEMENT ?

if there is a quest monster in neighbor square you can move there , challenge the monster and then move 1 space again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.