GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,154 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Preparing Games for Hurricanes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Owen
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are recommended measures to store games for an approaching tropical storm or hurricane if you cannot take all your games and other belongings out of the area?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Use duct tape to seal the boxes, then use more duct tape to strap the games to inside supporting walls or pillars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Your biggest worry is, of course, water. Barring total home destruction, however, just keep them away from the windows and put them high on your shelves - nothing on the low shelves of anything. I personally put all my games 6 feet or higher behind a closet door and the collection has survived everything that has hit Puerto Rico over the last 20 years.

If you want extra protection - saran wrapping areas where water might fly in is a good idea (And expect water to get everything withing 30 feet of your windows to get wet - even if the window is closed). To be totally sure, I would recommend getting some waterproof bags for your most valuable games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ʇllıʍ)
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mail all your games to me. We don't have hurricanes in Eastern Washington. I will send them back to you as soon as we have figured out how to prevent any more hurricanes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I typically just pack the few games I know I can't replace, and those evacuate with us. If the rest get destroyed, that will probably mean I have much bigger worries than the loss of some games. I also take a few snapshots, though, for insurance purposes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Northern Rommel
Canada
flag msg tools

Take the components of the game and place them in freezer bags within the box. Yes you can get giant freezer bags that fit boards. You can get those little anti-moisture things too if you need such. That way the worse damage is usually just the box when it comes to water.

When I go camping I do this and it works well also. Nothing worse then taking a stumble into a river or over the side of a boat and having to dry out more then just the knapsacks.

Putting them in totes as well is added security, and then you know that your collection will float. The most water tight things I found are the containers fresh fish comes in. You can get them free from most supermarkets as they just throw them out anyhow. Each holds four bookcase sized games perfectly. Just be sure you get the smell out first for a couple weeks else you your ww2 minis may make you have strange urges to have fish and chips or kippers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.